Go Back   Christian Guitar Forum > Musicians > Guitar
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 03-20-2003, 08:56 PM   #1
Don't read this.

how far can you bend a note

I can bend a note 2and a half steps on a set of a 11s but on lights i can bend alot easier and farther,but that dosent count

so tell me how far can you go

and if you use heavy strings don't post what you can do with lights(its not fair)

Unread 03-20-2003, 10:25 PM   #2
Fender & Martin Guitars

I do not believe that for a second. You must have the shortest scale length guitar on the planet.

I play an 11-52 set on a Strat. Now I do have pretty strong hands, and I run out of fret board before I get to 2 1/2 steps. In reality, thet is a MONSTER bend.

You might want to try that again, with a tuner.
If my people which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and forgive their sin, and heal their land.
gearup is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-21-2003, 12:34 AM   #3

Send a message via AIM to thesteve
I can bend my high D (22 fret E string) up to the E...so that's one full step. I might be able to get it higher, but at that point I'm already also touching (and practically bending) my B string.

I'm a podcaster
thesteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-21-2003, 03:08 AM   #4

i'm probably limited to a whole step step and a half. most og my bends occur below the 12th fret though and my fingers run into the strings when i try to go higher than a full step. then it sounds horrible when you're coming down. the other strings ringing in... get me a floating trem hat i dont have to be careful on adn i'll be in good shape.
GMartin2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-21-2003, 10:05 AM   #5

Send a message via AIM to thesteve
I have a Fedner "dynamic vibrato" on my electric (a la Jaguar, Mustang vibratos)...ugh...I wish it had a hardtail...I'm still thinking about installing one. I've never used the thing because although I can get wicked bends on it...like probably an easy step and a half...I've never tried too hard...it never goes back in tune....p,us it allows the strings to flex alot more in weather changes which means I tune alot.

I'm a podcaster
thesteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-21-2003, 11:24 AM   #6
Good Grief!!!

When I do "normal" bends on my Tele (strung .10 - .42), I'm limited practically to about a full step, and technically (by where the edge of the fretboard is) to about a step and a half.

If I bend "Tele-style," by reaching up above the nut with my right hand and pressing down on the string(s) back there, I can get 2 steps without trying too hard.

Nate
nate95366 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-21-2003, 08:08 PM   #7
Don't read this.

Quote:
Originally posted by gearup
I do not believe that for a second. You must have the shortest scale length guitar on the planet.

I play an 11-52 set on a Strat. Now I do have pretty strong hands, and I run out of fret board before I get to 2 1/2 steps. In reality, thet is a MONSTER bend.

You might want to try that again, with a tuner.
hey thanks I relized that that was with the b-string when i checked the best I can do with the high e is 1 and a half
Unread 03-21-2003, 10:10 PM   #8
titletitletitle

2.5 whole steps is believable... after blocking my tremelo, i can do 2 full steps on my ibanez 25.5 scale, strung with 9s. And i normally don't do a whole lot of bending. I guess that having more space between the strings and therefore a wider fret board would give me some advantage of a strat player, but at the same time, a strat fretboard is a lot more rounded, making it easier to perform the bend in the first place.

Do you guys use two fingers when you bend? My former guitar teacher told me that you should always use two fingers, so i always have since then. It's a lot easier, gives you more control, and isn't as rough on your callouses.

jbm222 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-21-2003, 10:26 PM   #9
Fender & Martin Guitars

Actually you have it all backwards. Fretboard radius has nothing to do with it, it is all about string guage, scale length, and to some extent fret size. Long scale necks have more tension on the strings than shorter ones, given both are tuned the same. Larger guage strings also have more tension than do smaller guage strings. Flatter fretboards are easier only in that the notes do not "fret out" when the string is really stretched, which allows for a little lower action. Also you are using 9's, which is still a heck of a bend in its own right, but we are talking about 11's. BIG DIFFERENCE.

As for the number of fingers to use for the bend. Always use as many as you can. For instance, if you are bending with the third finger, get the first and second in there too. Not all in the same fret, but each on their own fret ( like 4th, 5th, 6th ) . The more fingers you use the more control you will have of the string.

Good Luck.
If my people which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and forgive their sin, and heal their land.
gearup is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-21-2003, 11:08 PM   #10
The Chameleon

Send a message via AIM to Shredcheddar
Yeah, I use a four-finger bend whenever possible, but most of the time it's a three.

The farthest I've bent at the 12 fret vicinity is 2 whole steps. It hurt , and I barely got there.
Unread 03-22-2003, 02:23 PM   #11
The Great griffon

I can get about 1 1/2 steps on the high E (I just tested it, any higher than that and I break my string....gotta go change it now.)
On the high B I can get 2 1/2 steps easy, all the wound strings I can can get 2 1/2 to 3 stepos on. Mind you though, I use 10's.
Griffon is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-23-2003, 01:09 PM   #12
Don't read this.

Quote:
Originally posted by Griffon
I can get about 1 1/2 steps on the high E (I just tested it, any higher than that and I break my string....gotta go change it now.)
On the high B I can get 2 1/2 steps easy, all the wound strings I can can get 2 1/2 to 3 stepos on. Mind you though, I use 10's.

i think someone plays blues
Unread 03-23-2003, 03:38 PM   #13
The Great griffon

Quote:
Originally posted by Eric. M ^_~
i think someone plays blues
yeah, partly anyways, I've started doing more metal, but I still use a lot of smears and bends.

I read somewhere that Stevie Ray Vaughn could bend like 2 1/4 steps or so on his high E. And he used 13's.
Unread 03-23-2003, 03:44 PM   #14
I am not my own

Send a message via MSN to DarylB
When you bend on a standard strat bridge you dont get as high of a note b/c the bridge bends in a bid taking away from your bend. It's also easiest to bend at the 12 fret for whoever was bending at the 22nd, try @ 12. Also when i was changing my strings i tuned the G string really low and i could bend an octave from the 12th fret. Of course that is cheating when your string is that loose but hey, it was fun.
DarylB is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-23-2003, 04:40 PM   #15
Don't read this.

Quote:
Originally posted by Griffon
yeah, partly anyways, I've started doing more metal, but I still use a lot of smears and bends.

I read somewhere that Stevie Ray Vaughn could bend like 2 1/4 steps or so on his high E. And he used 13's.

yes and he also liked his action high

dj I think i'll try that next time i break a string