Go Back   Christian Guitar Forum > Musicians > Guitar
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 03-13-2003, 08:39 PM   #1
All I'm Losing is Me

Send a message via AIM to FIForever Send a message via Yahoo to FIForever
Recommendations...

Ok guys, ya'll seem to know what you're talking about so I'm gonna pose this question to ya'll.

What's a good acoustic/electric?

What's a good electric?

Not a les paul or anything but a good upperend guitar. I'm new to the whole gear thing but I'm a decent player. Which should I get if I want to be able to plug into an amp and play at church with an accoustic sound yet still have some cool effects and such. How many effects come on the guitar without having to get pedals? As you can see I want to know everything. What are some nice amps and pedals too?

Hope to have some replies soon,

FIForever

Unread 03-13-2003, 11:09 PM   #2
Be happy

Re: Recommendations...

Quote:
Originally posted by FIForever
What's a good acoustic/electric?
A good acoustic/electric is one that sounds good to you and will please you even 5 years after you get it home from the store.. which particular model this will be for you I cannot say. In general... yamaha and takamine make some good ones

Quote:
What's a good electric?
Same answer. And then.. if you aren't rich, Ibanez or Epi. If you are rich, Carvin or PRS

Quote:
Not a les paul or anything but a good upperend guitar.
Well um... Les Pauls ARE good upper end guitars. Epi's can be as cheap as $600 and sound GREAT.

Quote:
Which should I get if I want to be able to plug into an amp and play at church with an accoustic sound
An acoustic/electric.. because you obviously cannot do this with an electric.

Quote:
yet still have some cool effects and such. How many effects come on the guitar without having to get pedals?
No effects on guitars, sorry. Unless you count the whammy bar and tone controls... which I wouldn't. On an acoustic/electric you might have an EQ but you aren't gonna get real effects on the guitar itself.

Quote:
What are some nice amps and pedals too?
The question is extremely broad... but in general... Crate makes good basic amps. Marshall makes good tube amps. Fender also makes good basic amps. BOSS makes good pedals. Or, if you're in the market for pricy stuff, Electro-harmonix and Voodoo Labs make great pedals.

Last edited by bobthecockroach; 03-13-2003 at 11:12 PM.
bobthecockroach is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-13-2003, 11:40 PM   #3
beat

If you really want to go highend, then find a good luthier and get your guitars custom, hand made.

Than is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-14-2003, 02:12 AM   #4

actually DAnelectro has some effects built into some of their models. but yeah, whammy and tone aside there wont be any on high end guitars.
GMartin2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-14-2003, 07:27 AM   #5
Peanutbutter

Send a message via AIM to billikenn
Re: Re: Recommendations...

Quote:
Originally posted by bobthecockroach

An acoustic/electric.. because you obviously cannot do this with an electric.
He said he wants to "plug in" and get the acoustic sound. so there are actually quite a few option for electric guitars.

You could a get a strat or pretty much anything with a tune-o-matic and use

http://www.graphtech.bc.ca/product_d...nd&brand=Ghost

Those sound awesome, and cost is ok.

or you could use any guitar and get
http://www.pick-uptheworld.com/

or you could get a
parker
Rickenbaker 380L Pz
Ibanez makes one - but its not near as good as anything mentioned yet...
O think its called music man has one with a really good piezo too.

basically your lookin for a solidbody with piezo pickups, ones built into the saddles sound better...

JP
Unread 03-14-2003, 08:12 AM   #6
Spoken For

Send a message via AIM to Awzmgd117
or if your looking to go acoustic
yamaha makes the ag stomp which is kinda like effects for the acoustic it does mike and amp modeling and gives you some chorus, reverb, and a condenser
that will late you create some different atmospheres for worship which can be effective
:kcool:

Life and Love and Why

Yes, yet another Blog
Awzmgd117 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-14-2003, 10:07 AM   #7
Seinfeld Rocks!!

Send a message via AIM to GopherWood Send a message via Yahoo to GopherWood
Yeah, i would definatly recommend the ag stomp from Yamaha. It's a great sounding pedal that doesn't compromise the natural sound of your guitar.

KYLE
Unread 03-14-2003, 12:10 PM   #8

Cool

There are so many possibilities out there as to boggle the mind! But here are some instruments I've had very good experience with:

ACOUSTIC/ELECTRIC
Under this catagory, I'm presuming you're talking about an acoustic guitar which also has a built in pickup/preamp. Ones I've actually played and could recommend based on personal experience include Ovation, Takamine, Yamaha, and Carvin. I'm not too clear on what kind of price range your thinking about, so it's hard to be specific with reccomendations here.

SOLID BODY
I suggest you try out Godin or Parker guitars. They are not as expensive as Paul Reed Smith's or Gibson Les Pauls, but sound great and are super versatile. I own a LGX-SA model Godin and it does a decent job at everything. It has a L.R. Baggs piezo transducer system built into the bridge so you can switch between an acoustic/electric sound and a straight electric sound at will from the same guitar. The Parker guitars also have that capability, and they might be a little easier to find than the Godin's. I play in the worship team at my church and use the Godin because it does have such an excellent sound and I can get the acoustic and electric sound from one guitar.

I've never owned a guitar with built in effects so I can't suggest anything there. Generally, the effects are outboard devices, but you can get amps with built in effects. Fender, Crate, Line6, Berringer, Carvin...just about all of them make models with digital effects processors in them. Most of these companies also make models of amps just for amplifying acoustics also. In addition, some companies make effect processors that 'model' different amps, effects and even different guitars! The Roland VG-8 is an example of a processor that does the later. Line6 makes the POD series of processors which gives you a ton of different amps and effects from one unit. Berringer makes the V amp and Johnson makes the J-station which does much the same thing. Sound quality and prices vary wildly, as you might guess.

But hey, thats why you read reviews, and spend lots of time at music stores comparing these things...that's half the fun of it!
muddylips is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-14-2003, 10:33 PM   #9
I play Guitar...

I vote for Parkers (in the solid-body area). I have one and I love it! I can get a great acoustic sound out on both acoustic and electric amps, and it comes with a special two-output cable so you can plug it into both kinds of amps.

On price, te guitars aren't too bad, the P-38s (bottom of the line) are around $5-600. I have a P-44 which generally goes for $800 but I haggled down to $700. Great bang for the buck.

For effects, if you don't know much about them I would recommend Boss and Line6, and a multi effects prossesor in general. My personal preferance is the Line6 POD. You can get a POD 2.0 for around $250.
Unread 03-15-2003, 09:15 AM   #10

Cool

yeah, the Parker and Godin guitars are sweet...Like the Parker, the Godin also has two output jacks which can be used to process the Duncan and Baggs output seperatly or combined. And it has a third output jack which is dedicated exclusivly to the hex pickup output. pretty cool stuff, I think!

I also use the POD (PODxt). It sounds very good, is easy to use and versatile. Plus it beats trying to buy (and carry) all the stuff it models.:ksmile: Now, I've read a lot of negative user reviews about the POD series...but I think the PODxt sounds REAL good. It does an excellent job of modeling. Do I think it represents the exact sound of all the amps and effects it models...well, I think to answer that you would need the VERY SAME AMPS/EFFECTS, the same people, and the same environment they had at Line6 when they were listening to this stuff for the POD. For my money, I think it comes pretty close.

:ksmile:
muddylips is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-15-2003, 03:19 PM   #11
I play Guitar...

actually the Parkers don't have seperate output jacks. There is only one. There is some kind of circuitry in it that detects if it is a 2 output cord in it, and routes the signals accordingly. Pretty nice. All Parkers (that have the piezo) come with one of those special cords.
Unread 03-15-2003, 05:00 PM   #12
Peanutbutter

Its not really a special cord.
Just a stereo 1/4 " instrument cord. probably more recognized in music shops as having TRS connectors.
but you also need either a stereo amp, or a cord that splits into 2 mono cords so you can run one to each amp...

Graph Tech Ghost Piezo also uses the smart jack. It basically shorts out when a mono cord is plugged in and with the mono cord in it lets you mix the piezo and electric sounds before leaving the guitar...

very handy for retrofit into guitars that do not offer this....

JP

I guess it would be special to normal guitar cords..
Unread 03-15-2003, 05:49 PM   #13
I play Guitar...

Quote:
Originally posted by billikenn

but you also need either a stereo amp, or a cord that splits into 2 mono cords so you can run one to each amp...
yeah, thats what it is. I got the impression from the $80 price tag on the cords that they are a little different.
Unread 03-15-2003, 06:14 PM   #14
Peanutbutter

wow are you serious?

80 smackers

I have not ventured to buy one yet. but it will be coming shortly after I find an amp for my guitar...

looks like Ill be making my own out of a good mic cable. I still cant believe they are 80 dollars. Rickenbacker makes a stereo cord attached to a box with 2 mono outputs for about $60 I think. Maybe Ill go that way. I know for sure it has all extreemly high quality parts in it. Its used for Ric-O-sound (send bridge PU to one amp, neck to another...) and is called Ric-O-Sound Box.

I know radio shack has a cheap stereo y cable with 2 monos on it that a lot of Rickenbackers use... Maybe that will be a temporary road for now.

JP
Unread 03-15-2003, 06:54 PM   #15
I play Guitar...

yeah, its disgusting. Thats why i'm taking VERY good care of mine.