Go Back   Christian Guitar Forum > Musicians > Guitar
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 03-09-2003, 04:45 PM   #16
Fender & Martin Guitars

Quote:
Originally posted by nate95366
Density = mass per volume, which is basically like saying weight per volume. To tell someone to look for something that's really lightweight and also has a high weight per volume is backward. I'm not sure where you got that advice from, but my gut tells me you may want to re-read it or (at least) quesiton it. Bone (one of the best materials) has a relatively low density. Ebony (very nice sounding but very poor durability) is the most dense wood available, but it's still wood (and thus, not all that dense).

Nate
Well you are correct in your response. I did not state that well at all. What I was trying to convey was that you need something dense, but light. you can not really have both so you must find good middle ground

If you find something that is very dense it will transmit vibration very well, but being so dense will dampen what ever else it is touching, like the guitar top.

If you get something nice and light, you will not have the dampening problem, but you wont get very good vibration transmission.

That is why bone is so good. It is dense enough to have good sound trans. and still light enough to not have an adverse effect on the of the guitar top.

I do see however, how poorly my original wording was. did not mean to confuse.

Man, between that and the little green men, I must be loosing my mind.

If my people which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and forgive their sin, and heal their land.
gearup is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Unread 03-11-2003, 08:02 PM   #17
from the womb to the tomb

Send a message via AIM to Mr. Squeeky
Now I also, want to change my bridge pins, saddle and end-pin and get them all in TUSQ, but how can I tell the difference between TUSQ and say, yellowed plastic?

I've always loved my local Guitar Center, but I've heard so many stories of people getting something pulled on them by these guys that I'm beginning to get wary. So, how is it possible to tell the difference? Is the difference noticable?
Unread 03-11-2003, 09:08 PM   #18
Fender & Martin Guitars

Well there are not too many truely "plastic" parts in the sense your talking about, except pins. Tusq, micarta and corian are pretty cheap to get in bulk.

Tusq looks like plastic, micarta, and corian. I do not think you will get one without the package.

Guitar Centers do not always have very insightful employees and the prices are a little high, but I do not think they are crooked.

Tusq is not a big step up in quality from what you might have now. Tusq is what Taylor uses for the nut and bridge on all their guitars. Martin uses Micarta saddles and Corian for the nuts. All three are very close. Bone is the next real choice, and beyond that it gets VERY expensive.

Bone can be had for about 50% more than Tusq, except for bone pins, which will run about twice the price.

As for the sound, that depends on the guitar. But the synthetic materials are the most even sounding of all the materials. That may be good or bad, depending on your taste. Bone will be different from piece to piece, but overall it will be a little more open sounding and a little brighter, and a tighter bottom end.

The good news is that it is all completely reversible if you find the tone is not for you. It is also fairly cheap, so you won't be out too much moola.

Good Luck.
If my people which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and forgive their sin, and heal their land.
gearup is offline   Reply With Quote