Go Back   Christian Guitar Forum > CGR Stuff > CD Reviews > S
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Mark Forums Read

View Poll Results: Rate the overall quality of this CD, with 1 being the lowest and 10 being the highest
1 5 1.81%
2 1 0.36%
3 2 0.72%
4 4 1.44%
5 2 0.72%
6 7 2.53%
7 13 4.69%
8 27 9.75%
9 54 19.49%
10 162 58.48%
Voters: 277. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 06-27-2003, 05:05 PM   #31
Official cereal freak!

Send a message via AIM to Aprilfool
This CD took a little while to grow on me cuz I think the first really catchy song is Redemtion, and that's track 6. But anyway, after listening to it a bit more I started realizing that this CD is truely "on fire".
I'd say that it's definately up there with "Learning to Breathe" and "The Legend of Chin". Have any of you caught on to the similarities between the first CD and "Gone"? It's sooo awesome! Gone sounds like it could be track 12 on "the Legend of Chin"! He even says "Life's still more than girls" in it! I give the CD a 9.

"I know You're gifts are valued above gold, but when I'm gonna find that shining Jewel remains untold"

"All that's in my head is in Your hands" - Switchfoot
Aprilfool is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Unread 07-17-2003, 01:01 PM   #32
Yellow is stupid.

Send a message via AIM to God's Jedi Send a message via MSN to God's Jedi
This is without a doubt my favorite CD I own. All around it is just great. What more can I say?
Let those who worship evil's might
Beware my power...
Green Lantern's light.
God's Jedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-17-2003, 09:34 PM   #33
</title>

I gave this CD a 9. While it's not my favorite CD of all time, it is pretty darn good. If your looking for a new rock band, try Switchfoot, their great. Clever guitars and good lyrics make Switchfoot one of my favorites.
sorefingers is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-22-2003, 03:22 PM   #34
is growing up

Send a message via AIM to SupaNova
This is a wonderful, brilliant album. If you love rock music, heck if you just like music, then buy this CD, you can't regret it!!

hard times in Rockingham, hard times harder still...
SupaNova is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-04-2003, 07:13 PM   #35
mrT Gomer

Send a message via AIM to Trentster
"Meant to Live" is my favorite song from Switchfoot. I had never heard of Switchfoot until they kept on playing the song and a music video at this summer's Christ in Youth conference! They rock!

Trentster
Unread 08-05-2003, 09:42 AM   #36

Cool hey

I luv your muzic!
Superblonde899 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-05-2003, 09:44 AM   #37

Cool hey

Guitars r cool! Switchfoot is awesome!
Superblonde899 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-02-2003, 11:25 AM   #38

Send a message via AIM to tuckerm83 Send a message via Yahoo to tuckerm83
Cool Switchfoot ROCKS!!!!

I haven't listened to much Switchfoot in the past because none of their music "grabbed" me. I can honestly say that I never listened to an entire CD though before The Beautiful Letdown. I decided to check it out because I heard Ammunition on a compilation CD, and REALLY liked it. Meant To Live is BY FAR my favorite song right now - of ANY style/artist. I sing with my church's band and am wearing out my vocal chords because I sing along with the CD to and from work everyday (1 hour commute each way). I HIGHLY recommend this CD to anyone that loves rock and roll, let alone Christian alternative rock. The only thing better than the music is the thought provoking lyrics. This CD is TOTALLY awesome. I noticed that Switchfoot was selected by Yahoo Launch as the "up and coming artist" for the month of September. How cool is that?!?!? Good Christian bands are finally starting to get some respect in the mucis industry. You can checkout the NEW video for Meant To Live here - http://launch.yahoo.com/artist/video...tistID=1031091

God bless!

- Mike
tuckerm83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-02-2003, 11:35 AM   #39
you DID find it.

the beautiful letdown was anything but a letdown. it was a rockin album and i am sad because popular radio stations are picking up their concerts and charging $125 a ticket, which is uuuuuuck! i like the $20 christian concerts, if you ask me!!
Unread 10-16-2003, 02:35 AM   #40

Send a message via AIM to lastplacewinner
hmmm

its seems that the title of this cd just about sums up the cd it self. minus the beautiful part. which leaves us with letdown. that is exactly the feeling i got when i popped this disc into my car and gave a first listen. letdown.

while the first track played i thought that they had turned all nu-metal, disgusted i skipped the first track and went on to number 2. "hmmmm", i thought, "i guess switchfoot has started getting in to bad techno."

as i slowly scanned each track i found examples of many genre's of music, pop- punk, techno, nu-metal, pop, contemporary, i even felt some more hip hoppish groves. normally i would applaud a band for covering so many styles of music. however, while switchfoot does cover a very broad spectrum of music, they do it quite poorly. many of the songs had simply no soul and sounded as if the band crapped them out just to make songs around a few catchy parts. the lyrics are usually what is most impressive about this band to me. they fell through the floor, many people call this "maturing as a songwriter", i call it "trying to be more poetic than you really are and ending up with corrugated, generic crap." my suggestion to the band (which i respect very much as artists), stick to your guns. learning to breathe is one of the best i own, and the best album you've ever produced.

the only redeeming quality was the new version of dare you to move (which, oddly enough, is the best track on learning to breathe). i love this song and its the only reason that i havent broken this cd by now.

my rating 3/10............dare you to move saved "the beautiful letdown" from a 1 or a negative number (if it was possible).

-ted
lastplacewinner is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-16-2003, 02:55 AM   #41
Is learning to breathe

Oh my goodness. A negative review.

*Starts looking for rapture*

Me and the boys would love you to visit My Blog
phats is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-17-2003, 01:21 AM   #42
Art
Superfly.
Administrator

paid
It was funny, at least.
Unread 10-17-2003, 02:13 AM   #43
Is learning to breathe

Yeah, I'll give it that. besides, s/foot fans can be a touch fanatical... I know I can be!

Me and the boys would love you to visit My Blog
phats is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-17-2003, 04:20 AM   #44
Art
Superfly.
Administrator

paid
Quote:
Originally Posted by phats
Yeah, I'll give it that. besides, s/foot fans can be a touch fanatical... I know I can be!
This was the first Switchfoot CD I actually owned... I'm far from fanatical... but I know their music, and this is high quality crap!
Unread 10-17-2003, 07:00 AM   #45
throw up your rawkfist!!!

Send a message via AIM to punker15 Send a message via Yahoo to punker15
[QUOTEas i slowly scanned each track i found examples of many genre's of music, pop- punk, techno, nu-metal, pop, contemporary, i even felt some more hip hoppish groves. normally i would applaud a band for covering so many styles of music. however, while switchfoot does cover a very broad spectrum of music, they do it quite poorly. many of the songs had simply no soul and sounded as if the band crapped them out just to make songs around a few catchy parts.
[/QUOTE]

This record was far from nu-metal or hip-hop. The "techno" was simply a cool effect on ONE song (This Is Your Life). I don't think you can really place Switchfoot under any specific genre. There isn't a song on the cd that won't get stuck in your head. I didn't really like it at first either, but it really grew on me.
punker15 is offline   Reply With Quote