Go Back   Christian Guitar Forum > Musicians > Bass
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Mark Forums Read

View Poll Results: what is the best number of strings?
4 22 40.74%
5 29 53.70%
6 7 12.96%
7 0 0%
8 2 3.70%
12 1 1.85%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 54. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 06-19-2003, 10:41 PM   #61

I learned on a 5, bu tI just bought a 4 for Graduation....Fender Jazz to be exact...I love the 4 but will never give up the low B on the 5...

Peace

God is our refuge and strength, an ever-present help in trouble. Therefore we will not fear, though the earth give way and the mountains fall into the heart of the sea, though its waters roar and foam and the mountains quake
with their surging.

(Psalm 46:1-3)

L8R, keep it real.
Samickman03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Unread 06-23-2003, 10:52 AM   #62
*tArA.vAN.rOBot*

Send a message via AIM to queenadela Send a message via MSN to queenadela
ermm...i learned with a 4 string, but i perfer to use a 5 string for when it comes to playing metal and whatnot, but i bring out the 6 string when im playing in church...it was hard for me to get used to since, i have little girl hands and ive only been playing for like a year and 3 months. im 4'11, you'd expect me to have tiny hands but i handle it like a pro..im proud. so i'd go with a 6 never went farther than 6 strings.

.~*-.'.-**GoD BlesS**-.'.-*~.
queenadela is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-14-2003, 01:47 AM   #63

Strings for bass

I think the best number of strings depends on what type of song your playing, and the type of sound you want to present. For most songs I rely on my Ibanez 5 string, using the low B for extra depth. For hymns and softer, ballad like songs I use my Hagstrom 8 string to get the richer intonation and mellower sound. For jazz like songs I will sometimes use my Yamaha 4 string fretless for that plunky sound that only a fretless gives. I like to keep at least two basses on hand while I play and switch between them depending on the song and feel I want to achieve. I am currently dreaming of making the plunge and getting an electric upright bass with a bow to go for the long sustained sound that they can give. I suppose basses (as well as guitars, I have a Strat and an acoustic 12 string) are like children and arrows, blessed is the man whose quiver is full of them!

Norman Brodie
Norman Brodie is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-19-2003, 01:51 PM   #64
ED! stop eating the cat!

Send a message via MSN to sanzi
I think you should keep it simple. A five or six string i think would be sufficient for playing bass. I've never even heard of a 12 string bass before though!! coolio
Unread 08-09-2003, 01:56 PM   #65
Caughtinthetension

I play guitar and bass and enjoy both. My dad has a 4-string, which is nice cause of the skinny neck, but I would really like to have a 5 for the lower string.
DavidR is offline   Reply With Quote