Go Back   Christian Guitar Forum > Music & Musicians > Logistics > Theory & Technique
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 02-13-2003, 01:50 PM   #1
Luc

E2 chord

Could someone please show me what an E2 chord looks like? Also, what's a good source for chord info?

Luc

Luc is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Unread 02-13-2003, 03:33 PM   #2
A Random Guy

Send a message via AIM to R2D2
I like 024100 as a voicing for E2.

The best source of Chords is to learn your music theory, and apply it. An E2 would have the root, 3rd, 5th and an added 9th or 2nd. So, it needs to have E, G#, B and F#.
Unread 02-13-2003, 07:21 PM   #3
The Late, Great PfR

Send a message via AIM to guitarplayer4jc
An alternate version is 012202.

Huh?
guitarplayer4jc is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-13-2003, 10:13 PM   #4
Good Grief!!!

Quote:
An alternate version is 012202.
This is either inaccurate OR guitarplayer4jc doesn't play in standard tuning. You won't find an E2 (Eadd9 or Esus2) with a Bb note in it...

Nate
nate95366 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-13-2003, 10:24 PM   #5
Be happy
Super Moderator

022102 though it would probly more accurately be called Eadd9

I suggest you do the same.
bobthecockroach is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-13-2003, 10:26 PM   #6
A Random Guy

Another fun voicing I just remembered is 0(11)9(11)00
Unread 02-14-2003, 08:18 PM   #7
The Late, Great PfR

Send a message via AIM to guitarplayer4jc
Quote:
Originally posted by nate95366
This is either inaccurate OR guitarplayer4jc doesn't play in standard tuning. You won't find an E2 (Eadd9 or Esus2) with a Bb note in it...
Ehhh... Oops. That should read "022102".

Huh?
guitarplayer4jc is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-01-2003, 12:58 PM   #8
from the womb to the tomb

Send a message via AIM to Mr. Squeeky
Quote:
Originally posted by R2D2
Another fun voicing I just remembered is 0(11)9(11)00
No such thing
Unread 03-02-2003, 01:25 AM   #9
A Random Guy

Quote:
Originally posted by Mr. Squeeky
No such thing
Actually, there is such a chord. Why do you think there isn't?
Unread 03-02-2003, 12:21 PM   #10
The Chameleon

Send a message via AIM to Shredcheddar
Yeah.. I don't see why you said that, Mr. Squeeky.
Unread 03-02-2003, 05:16 PM   #11
Good Grief!!!

He could be playing on an early 1500's guitar-like instrument with only 10 frets...:kgrin:

Nate
nate95366 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-02-2003, 06:05 PM   #12

Cool Re: E2 chord

Quote:
Originally posted by Luc
Could someone please show me what an E2 chord looks like? Also, what's a good source for chord info?

Luc
Hi Luc,
I am a professional musician and music teacher. Please allow me to clear up this discussion...
An 'E2' chord is an E chord in which the third of the chord has been replaced with the second. For example:
E-G#-B would be the spelling of a normal E major triad. In the case of the E2, you would have E-F#-B...a little different sound.
Some times people get the '2' chord confused with a '9' chord. They are the same chord except the '9' chord always has the 7th of the chord present in it. Otherwise it is a '2' chord. Now, it's possible to play what is known as an 'add 9' or even 'add 2' chord. Whats happening here is that the 3rd (in our case the G#) has been left in the chord. An example of this is 022102. Technically, the 'add 9' chord name is incorrect, but it's in such common use that it's understood what the player means when he uses the term...hopefully. For chords to be refered to with extensions such as 9th's-11th's or 13th's, the 7th of the chord must be included in some form.
Here is the E major scale to consider:
E-F#-G#-A-B-C#-D#-E
E is the tonic or root, F# is the second, G# is the third and so on until you get to E again.
There are MANY ways to play the same chord and the E2 is no exception. For instance:
024400 (read from left to right, bass string (6) toward treble string (1). This is a nice sounding chord too.
Interestingly, if you were to hold this very chord shape (use your index finger on the 5th string, ring finger on the 4th string and your pinky on the 3rd string) and then move it up the neck so that your fingers were on the same set of strings but the index was on the 7th fret, ie-079900, you would now be playing an E5 chord! The '5' chord is a chord in which the 3rd (in our case the G#) has been omited. Left out as it were. So the E5 chord is just two notes-E and B. The '5' chord is also refered to as a 'power chord' due it's use (abuse) in much of rock music. Still, it can also be very pretty (it's used in the theme song to the movie 'Titanic' as sung by Celine Dion.)
I hope some of this info was helpful to you; by the way, here are some more ways to play an E2 chord...
779900 - xx2450 - xx99 12 12 -
peace-
muddylips

Last edited by muddylips; 03-02-2003 at 06:26 PM.
muddylips is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-07-2003, 04:00 AM   #13

Quote:
Actually, there is such a chord. Why do you think there isn't?
I think he was referring to the John Mayer song entitled 'No Such Thing', which starts with a chord pretty similar to that one. (That's not quite the right shape though.)

Quote:
An 'E2' chord is an E chord in which the third of the chord has been replaced with the second. For example:
E-G#-B would be the spelling of a normal E major triad. In the case of the E2, you would have E-F#-B...a little different sound.
Whether or not a '2' chord has the 3rd left in is a source of contention both on this forum and almost anywhere else that two or more musicians get together. I'm one of those who would say it has the 3rd in it unless you call it a 'sus2' chord. I tend to avoiding using the '2' term, instead using 'add9' (or even 'add2') or 'sus2' as appropriate so that my intentions regarding the 3rd are unambiguous.

Quote:
Some times people get the '2' chord confused with a '9' chord. They are the same chord except the '9' chord always has the 7th of the chord present in it. Otherwise it is a '2' chord. Now, it's possible to play what is known as an 'add 9' or even 'add 2' chord. Whats happening here is that the 3rd (in our case the G#) has been left in the chord.
Let's pretend I accept your definition of a '2' chord as having no 3rd in it: that means your definition of a '9' chord is wrong. A '9' chord has the basic triad plus the flat 7th, plus the 9th. An 'add9' doesn't have the flat 7th. So:

E9 = E, G#, B, D, F#
Eadd9 = E, G#, B, F#

Thanks,

N.ô

Last edited by N.ô; 03-07-2003 at 04:09 AM.
N.tm is offline   Reply With Quote