Go Back   Christian Guitar Forum > CGR Stuff > CD Reviews > C
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Mark Forums Read

View Poll Results: Rate the overall quality of this CD, with 1 being the lowest and 10 being the highest
1 2 2.53%
2 0 0%
3 0 0%
4 0 0%
5 1 1.27%
6 1 1.27%
7 4 5.06%
8 7 8.86%
9 14 17.72%
10 50 63.29%
Voters: 79. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 02-11-2003, 06:54 AM   #1
Art
Superfly.
Administrator

paid
Camp, Jeremy - Stay

Tracks
1. Understand
2. Right Here
3. Walk By Faith
4. Stay
5. All The Time
6. I Still Believe
7. One Day At A Time
8. Breaking My Fall
9. Nothing
10. I Know You're Calling
11. Take My Life
12. In Your Pesence

For more on Jeremy Camp, click here.

Art is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Unread 02-11-2003, 07:17 PM   #2

Jeremy Camp's "Stay" is an absolute gem....

Jeremy Camp's "Stay" CD is as close to rock and roll perfection as I have heard in years. Not a bad cut on this disk. What immediately blows me away is that you are listening to someone who could have amazing success in the secular world but chose a higher calling. This young man has all the makings of a Creed, Nickelback or Lifehouse -- or better. Instead he choses to write from the heart. Each of his songs is a personal cry out to the Lord. His vocals, lyrics and textured guitars mech perfectly in each song. A track by track listing.

1) "Understand" -- A solid, straight forward rock anthem. A perfect way to start the 12 song experience. Some great breaks and build ups. Ends with a bang but only after a non stop, in your face rock and roll ride.

2) "Right Here" -- Beautifully crafted and radio friendly. Lyrically it is wonderful. A strong, catchy sing along chorus and an inspiring message -- when down, He is always with you.

3) "Walk By Faith" -- A little of an Edwin McCain ballad-esque feel to this one but with that JC flavor that each of his songs has. Might sound a little reminicent of someone else but takes on a style and personality of its own. The title says it all. Faith is the answer. Beautiful string section accents a classic ballad. Seems like the type of song Creed would love to write but they don't have the guts. Jeremy goes for the jugular lyrically. Speaks from the heart and let's his King know exactly why he will be faithful no matter what the situation. The back up vocals and "hallelujah" chant at the end gives me chills. It seems to come out of nowhere and just takes over the rest of the song.

4) "Stay" -- Probably my favorite cut. Love the guitar effects during the beginning verse as the bass and drums drive the song. The prechorus is tight and the chorus just explodes. The last line of the chorus "throw your burdens all away" hits home for me. The kind of song that makes you look in the mirror and makes you ponder what IT is truly all about. Camp is definitely bringing this from a deep place and you can tell he means every word of it.

5) "All The Time" -- A straight forward rocker. Cool breaks and changes. Diverse rhythm during the verse and a standard chorus. Not my favorite track but I wouldn't be surprised if someone else listed this as their all time fave. I do like the change that comes at 2:15. Very cool. Then goes right back to a cool break. Love how they stop tape at 2:41. Nice recording effect.

6) "I Still Believe" -- Another ballad type cut with beautiful acoustic guitars, volume swells and a string section. Like a Creed "With Arms Wide Open" -- but better. Lyrically a modern masterpiece. The perfect letter to write to the Lord after we have just experienced a worldly tragedy. A way to affirm to him that we didn't understand what just happened, we know it was part of his plan, accept and reaffirm our faith in Him.

7) "One Day At A Time" -- Another one of my favs. Love the background guitars in the verse and the way the chorus hits you like a punch in the face. Big guitars and very reminicent of Nickelback (but better!) Lyrically again he is crying out to the Lord and just reaffirming where he is coming from. You can tell that Camp's faith has been tested and his lyrics are to constantly let the Lord know that he is not questioning Him.

8) "Breaking My Fall" -- Nice acoustic fingerpicking to begin the tune. Great percussion and effects throughout the whole song. Nice vocal pattern in the chorus and harmonies. Vocal effects occur throughout the whole song. Fun to listen to in headphones. Love the little subtle rhythm changes and fills. A great song all the way around.

9) "Nothing" -- Very smooth tune. The guitar in the background of the chorus reminds me of something you'd hear in a classic Led Zeppelin acoustic cut. Love the vocal effects as the song begins. It sets the tone. Camp's voice is perfect for this song.

10) " I Know You're Calling" -- Very Lifehouse-esque. A great song. Strong lyrics but just a perfectly crafted slow rock song. Love how the prechorus sets up the chorus and how he almost goes falsetto in the chorus. This song floors me. It was on his last CD "Burden Me" and this new and improved version has a few extra benefits of a better recording. A little more polished without losing the true sense of a well written song.

11) "Take My Life" -- The hardest rocker on the disk. Musically dark yet lyrically bright if you understand the message. The rhythm guitar reminds me of Candlebox's "You." Chorus has that big Nickelback like guitar. Camp's influences are always felt but he takes it all, mixes it up and makes it his own.

12) "In Your Presence" -- Beautiful all throughout. I hear a little Matchbox 20 "Hang" in this one. Straight acoustic and vocals. Grab that guitar, light a candle, play and sing for the Lord. The lead guitar plays beautiful melodies throughout and the lyrics are amazing. When he goes into the "Hallelujah" chorus the song just glows. This song moves me in ways no other song ever has.

This CD is a must. Jeremy Camp is a true talent and I am thrilled that he is singing his praises to the Lord as opposed to MTV and the TRL generation. Actually, it is sad that his music isn't hitting that crowd because they would all benefit. His message is amazing. He has the look, skills, talent, songwriting ability and voice. That that "Christian" label off and the secular world would jump all over this kid. All good. I'd rather keep that Christian label on it all day long and consider this one of the most moving spiritual CDs I have ever owned. I cannot wait to take in one of his concerts and my dream would be to join this band.

Jeremy, if you're reading - I've been playing for 15 years (acoustic and lead) and you inspired me to quit my secular band for a higher calling. Thank you.

Last edited by Canes305; 02-12-2003 at 12:26 PM.
Canes305 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-12-2003, 12:20 PM   #3
VR6Vision

Talking Jeremy Camp

This is by far the best CD that I have ever bought. I must of lisitened to it 50 times in the past 4 months that I have had it. Even my non-Christian friends love the CD. Jeremy's voice is absolutely amazing and he just makes you want to sing along. Everyone needs to know that this CD is a must for any collection.
Unread 03-01-2003, 09:44 AM   #4
now has an Xkcer Woman

Send a message via ICQ to Xkcer Man Send a message via AIM to Xkcer Man Send a message via MSN to Xkcer Man Send a message via Yahoo to Xkcer Man
Why don't you have this CD? Go out and get it right now!
Unread 03-05-2003, 10:21 PM   #5

Send a message via AIM to Elduderado
Thumbs up

This CD rules!!!! Songs like take my life and one day at a time sound just like nickelback. Lyricly, however these song blow nickelback away. Every song has a clear message and purpose. My fav. is in your pressence, an awesome worship song. True worship is of the heart, not the lips.
In christ,
Judah
Elduderado is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-05-2003, 02:11 AM   #6
We Will Play FOREVER

This is a stellar album. It is now one of my favorites PERIOD. My favorite tracks are All The Time, Understand, One Day At A Time and TAKE MY LIFE which is a scorching rocker. A good part of this album is fairly heavy but there are some softer songs which really shine as well. (I STILL BELIVE being one)
Unread 04-11-2003, 07:28 AM   #7
throw up your rawkfist!!!

Send a message via AIM to punker15 Send a message via Yahoo to punker15
great cd! i give it a 9.

favorite songs: understand, stay.

halfway through, it has the touching song i still belive.

awesome cd! go buy it.
punker15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-24-2003, 01:21 PM   #8
Techie/Guitar Junky

Send a message via AIM to NobleWard
Talking

If you do not have this CD, go and buy it this minute. Sign off the internet and go to the closest music store and demand this CD. Or just switch over to ebay or something. I don't care how you get it, but get it.

Jeremy Camp is a great artist and this CD shines. He is truly an annointed song writer and singer. Each song on the CD is truly amazing, each with it's own style and texture. Some are harder, some are softer, others are pure worshipful. Once again, buy this CD.

~Church music should be loud!! Crank it like you live it, for all the world to hear!!~
NobleWard is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-28-2003, 11:13 PM   #9
Elizabeth Rocks!!!

the music is really good but I am not to keen on Jeremy Camp's voice...I give it a 6.
<marquee bgcolor="white">[size=]Aussies on CGR: Me, Beanie, living for God, Coldtoedpunker, reags, b_hoves, tellii, Dj MeZ'nJaH, comeback2morrow, peg, ICTHUS, J.C. Freak, Seraph_princess, and joshhem, pm me if I've left anyone out![/size]</marquee>

Awesome People, visit their blogs:
IndoGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-29-2003, 07:21 AM   #10
now has an Xkcer Woman

Send a message via ICQ to Xkcer Man Send a message via AIM to Xkcer Man Send a message via MSN to Xkcer Man Send a message via Yahoo to Xkcer Man
I think his voice gets a little out of control on Take My Life, but everything else is great.
Unread 06-10-2003, 07:22 PM   #11
Jungleboy

Absolutly Brilliant! Jeremy Camp shows a great flexibility in his guitar playing and singing playing songs ranging from Rock to Worship Ballads. This is a wonderfull cd! Go buy it Right Now
Unread 06-20-2003, 10:58 AM   #12

Send a message via AIM to africa Send a message via Yahoo to africa
Awsome

This CD is one of the most incredible albums I have ever herd. And Jeremy's voice is out of this world. I can't really choose a favorite song. If you don't have this CD you MUST get it.

I give this CD a 10+
africa is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-20-2003, 11:30 AM   #13

Send a message via AIM to Sean Send a message via MSN to Sean
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xkcer Man
I think his voice gets a little out of control on Take My Life, but everything else is great.
What does that mean?

At first listen I thought his music sounded very derivative, but I keep listening to it so he must be doing something right. He isn't breaking any new ground, but his songs are strong and he does the genre well.

Modern Ministry Blog | My thoughts on life and faith
The Sean Chandler Blog | My thoughts on culture and politics
YouTube | My thoughts on movies and TV
Facebook | Twitter | Instagram
Sean is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-20-2003, 12:06 PM   #14
now has an Xkcer Woman

The pseudo-yell in the chorus just kinda bothers me. It doesn't sound natural for him.
Unread 06-20-2003, 12:09 PM   #15

Send a message via AIM to africa Send a message via Yahoo to africa
the hallelujah chant

I think that really enlightens the song. Jeremy could pull off pretty much anything and it would sound good.

africa is offline   Reply With Quote