Go Back   Christian Guitar Forum > CGR Stuff > CD Reviews > C
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Mark Forums Read

View Poll Results: Rate the overall quality of this CD, with 1 being the lowest and 10 being the highest
1 0 0%
2 0 0%
3 0 0%
4 0 0%
5 0 0%
6 0 0%
7 0 0%
8 6 42.86%
9 3 21.43%
10 5 35.71%
Voters: 14. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 02-09-2003, 03:24 AM   #1
Art
Superfly.
Administrator

paid
Caedmon's Call - Back Home

Tracks
1. Only Hope
2. You Created
3. Walk With Me
4. Hands Of The Potter
5. The Emptiest Day
6. The Kingdom
7. Beautiful Mystery
8. The High Countries
9. Thousand Miles
10. Never Gonna Let Go
11. Awake My Soul
12. Manner And Means
13. Mystery Of Mercy

For more on Caedmon's Call, click here.

Art is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Unread 02-21-2003, 02:54 PM   #2
Curiously Intriguing

Somebody post a review of this cd, I wanna buy it but I wanna make sure it's not a downer before I spend my hard-earned money

Ben

</font></td><td width="40%" align="right"><font size="1"><br>Now, little children, abide in Him, so that when He appears, we may have confidence and not shrink away from Him in shame at His coming.
- 1 John 2:28 <br />
</font></td></tr></table><br />
Benny Hicks is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-21-2003, 02:57 PM   #3
Banned

It is a great cd, in my opinion. I listened to it a week straight in my car, and never grew tired of it. It is not a downer in the least. If you like Caedmon's Call, I am pretty sure you will like this album.
benj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-22-2003, 12:18 AM   #4
2nd fuzziest on the board

Location: Tyler, Texas, USA, North America, Western Hemisphere, Earth, Solar System, Milky Way, Universe, God's hands
Send a message via AIM to ICJdafuzz
I have one word for this CD. Awesome.

This band is totally and completly awesome! Their vocals are excellent and they sound overall is totally excellent. If you like Caedmon's Call this CD is definatly a Must Buy :-D
Cause your dying to take my place
I thank You Lord
For Your amazing grace
I bless You Lord
Your the one that I adore
I love You Lord
Because of who You are

"Because of Who You Are - FFH"
</i></b></font>

Click <a href="http://www.christianguitar.org/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=36410">Here</a> to check up with me

<bold><i>~IHN,DaFuzz</i></bold>
ICJdafuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-05-2003, 11:08 PM   #5
partyof2plus6

Thumbs up Back Home...

This is the best Christian album I have ever purchased...in 20 years as a believer, this is one of the most endearing and honest, worshipful, singable, playable, ministering music my ears and soul have ever had the pleasure to experience. Caedmon's Call has done what I have only seen a few Christian artists do repeatedly...get better and more real than they did on their preceeding projects. I loved 40 Acres, In The Company of Angels, and now Back Home. Keep it up... This is the kind of encouraging, insightful, relevant music and lyrics that remind me constantly what it's all about. I don't know how else to say how I feel. Amen.
Unread 03-20-2003, 09:51 PM   #6

I love this CD. One of my better random-purchase picks, for sure. My favorites would have to be "Only Hope" and "Mystery of Mercy." The song "Never Gonna Let Go" drives me nuts for some reason, but that's about it.

(Plus... coffee is mentioned in one song! Any CD with that in its lyrics can't be too bad! )
Tracy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-23-2003, 04:51 PM   #7

Send a message via ICQ to BigJohnKC Send a message via AIM to BigJohnKC
This album goes back to the roots of Caedmon's music - strong lyric driven acoustic folk with amazing vocals and diverse instrumentation. In a word - Awesome! I love this album. It's been in my car for weeks straight now. My favorites on the album are Only Hope, The Emptiest Day, and Beautiful Mystery, but they are all great songs. Do yourself a favor and buy this album - you won't regret it...
BigJohnKC is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-24-2003, 03:09 PM   #8
JT

I give it a nine.

I borrowed the CD from a friend for a few days, and I don't have it now, so I can't remember everything, but here's my thoughts.

-Plenty of that classic Caedmon's sound--acoustic guitar driven folky rock
-A few songs deviate from this. Most noticeable is "The Kingdom." A heavy Middle Eastern vibe runs through this. It's my favorite song on the CD. "Mystery of Mercy" is very piano/strings based, and something about "You Created" made me think it didn't quite sound like normal Caedmon's, but I can't pinpoint what it was. I actually really liked all these songs, and hope they continue to experiment with their music.
-Lyrically very solid. The lyrical style ranges from "Only Hope," which would be appropriate for congregational worship, to "The Kingdom," which is sort of an allegory, to "High Countries," which is essentially a musical adaptation of many of the ideas in CS Lewis' "The Great Divorce."
-The only thing that I wasn't a huge fan of was the subject matter. One thing I've appreciated about Caedmon's in the past is their willingness to sing about things that the bulk of CCM doesn't. Struggles in life and such, rather than coming across as "I think about God all the time and I'm happy!" I haven't really done a point-by-point comparison, but I felt like this album was more toward the mainstream of what CCM is like than some of the older ones. Now, if that's where they're at, and the music is just a reflection of that, then I'm glad they're being honest. But I hope other bands pick up some of the slack.
Jay Tea is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-07-2003, 11:49 PM   #9

Send a message via AIM to partyof2plus6
Thumbs up Back Home is a definite 10 for Caedmon's and we will miss Derek Webb...

And this is how I feel...still.
After a few weeks of listening, I think my favorite songs are "Only Hope" (So True), "Beautiful Mystery" (great lyrics), "Hand of the Potter" (definitely a keeper), "Awake My Soul" (Boast Only Christ...), "The Emptiest Day" (very passionate honesty about real life stuff), and "Walk With Me" (Most Sincere Thoughtful Lyrics, sung as a Cry out for God's Help), and lastly, but not least, "You Created", speaks volumes about this stuff-filled,, media/market driven world of seeking the next big thrill or "high" to fill the God-shaped hole in us that only He can fill. STILL, I think that this is the best Christian album I have ever purchased...in 20 years as a believer, this is one of the most endearing and honest, worshipful, singable, playable, ministering music my ears and soul have ever had the pleasure to experience. Caedmon's Call has done what I have only seen a few Christian artists do repeatedly...get better and more real than they did on their preceeding projects. I loved 40 Acres, In The Company of Angels, and now Back Home. Keep it up... This is the kind of encouraging, insightful, relevant music and lyrics that remind me constantly what it's all about. I don't know how else to say how I feel. Amen.
P.S. I bought Derek Webb's first solo release. It's real good. But, according to the label, he's now "formerly of Caedmon's Call", which is kindof a surprise and a bummer to me. I think that he, Cliff, and Danielle sing and sound so great together. God Bless.
"You created nothing to give me more pleasure than You...You who hung the planets and in Your image You made man...Who is likened to the Lord our God, who dwelleth on high, who dwelleth on high?"--Joshua Moore, Caedmon's Call from CD "Back Home"
partyof2plus6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-07-2003, 12:30 PM   #10
go on... bop your head!

I absolutely love this cd, go buy it!!! Love the rhythm in 'Hands of the Potter'! All great songs.

Am disappointed to hear Derek Webb has left Caedmons Call, although he has been singing less 'solos' in the more the last couple of albums.
Be_Boppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-08-2003, 11:23 AM   #11
Gone

It's my opinion that this is the worst CD Caedmon's Call has released. I've been a fan since My Calm//Your Storm, their underground unsigned album, and watched them evolve greatly over the years. I love a few songs on this CD, particularly Only Hope, You Created, and Kingdom. First of all, know that Caedmon's Call members only wrote one song on this CD, Beautiful Mystery. Also, note that the style has continued to depart from acoustic folk towards a more pop-sound. What makes this album flop, though, is how much less depth it seems to have than all its predecessors. There simply isn't much passion in what they're singing. Grab Just Don't Want Coffee and listen to it back-to-back with this and you'll see what I mean.

This is still a very good album, and I gave it an 8.

Give thanks to YHWH, for He is good!

Gone
Ted Logan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-14-2003, 11:24 PM   #12
Peace Fanatic

Send a message via AIM to sheep Send a message via Yahoo to sheep
amazing... they leave me speachless sometimes! they just keep getting better and better.

If Jesus didn't side with the Pharisees, Sadducees, Scribes, Priests, Romans, Kings, etc, what makes you think that He will side with your political party? Think about it.

Thought for the moment/day/week/month or so...

Why do people have "Power of Pride" and "Proud to be an American" bumperstickers? Proverbs 16:18

*Please keep Mike in your prayers folks. Thanks!*
sheep is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-20-2004, 02:25 AM   #13
This one is for you

Send a message via AIM to Daniel Horney Send a message via MSN to Daniel Horney
compared to CCs earlier work, i was not as impressed, but its still not bad