Go Back   Christian Guitar Forum > Musicians > Guitar
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 02-04-2003, 06:53 PM   #1
Fender & Martin Guitars

Help With Choosing Frets.

I have been thinking of re-fretting my strat. I think I am going to go larger than the "vintage" frets that are on there now.

What frets do you guys like and why? What advantages and disadvantages have you found with the different sizes? Being a lefty there really are NO guitars for me to go try, which makes the choice much harder. The vintage frets are just too small, and do not lend themselves well to bending. However they do well with chords.

I also will be using heaver strings, 11-48 or 52, as they just sound better.

PLEASE HELP,
Loren

If my people which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and forgive their sin, and heal their land.

Last edited by gearup; 02-04-2003 at 07:01 PM.
gearup is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Unread 02-04-2003, 07:10 PM   #2
The Great griffon

I have and love jumbo frets, they tend to lend themselves to easy fretting. However, if you have a heavy hand then it makes it really easy to bend chords out of tune, which is the reason I don't let our P+W team's other guitarist play my guitar. I usually play lead, so the jumbo frets are extremely useful for me.
Unread 02-04-2003, 09:52 PM   #3
Fender & Martin Guitars

Thanks for the post. Surely someone else will chime in soon. HINT HINT.
If my people which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and forgive their sin, and heal their land.
Unread 02-05-2003, 02:14 AM   #4
gg7
retired from CGR. :)

i like medium-jumbo...they are rounder and flatter so it's harder to wear them out than taller frets...and i like the feel...

if you like to play a lot of harmonics taller frets are called for though..but i don't do harmonics really, so no need...taller frets with thinner widths of course will wear out faster...

in some cases, it may be cheaper to get a new neck rather than have the current one refretted..

check out:
http://www.warmoth.com

i'm very pleased with the neck i got from them..the fret work was very good.....also on their site you will find more info about different fret sizes and shapes, and pros and cons of the different ones...
gg7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-05-2003, 07:45 PM   #5

Send a message via AIM to robert4xst Send a message via Yahoo to robert4xst
I like 6230 fretwire, but that would be the opposite of what you would want.

You'd prob want either 6100 or 6150. 6150 is Jumbo, and 6100 is a bit larger than that. 6100 is said to almost have the feel of a scalloped neck.
<{{{><
robert4xst is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-05-2003, 10:06 PM   #6
Fender & Martin Guitars

Well I have dicided to go with a fret in the 6150-6105 range. A bit wider than the 6105 and taller than the 6150.

W= .100

H= .050

This should be a nice, versatile size fret wire.

Thanks all.
Unread 02-06-2003, 07:36 AM   #7
Good Grief!!!

I appear to be late with this, but I like the smaller "vintage" frets for the playing that I do. When I was trying out electric guitars a bit more than a year ago, it was one of the first things I noticed. My fingers just don't like the "railroad ties." I suppose that they offer a maintainance advantage in that you can get them levelled a few more times before they're worthless, but other than that I have a hard time seeing the point. For me, playing is just more "second nature" when I don't have to negotiate all the speed bumps.

Nate
nate95366 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-06-2003, 07:43 AM   #8
Fender & Martin Guitars

I thought long and hard about that point. However since I use 11-52 guage strings it all but eliminates this problem. The higher frets will greatly improve bending, and get rid of the fret board interference I get now.