Go Back   Christian Guitar Forum > Musicians > Guitar
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 01-09-2003, 08:56 PM   #1
Fender & Martin Guitars

Is it just me???

Has anyboby here taken up the guitar late in life? I was 34 when I started, so I gotta make up for lost time. I do practice about 4 to 6 hours every day, ( I take my guitar to work beacuse I have a LOT of free time ). Boy do I feel OLD.

Just thought I'd ask.

If my people which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and forgive their sin, and heal their land.
gearup is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Unread 01-09-2003, 10:17 PM   #2
Good Grief!!!

Quote:
I do practice about 4 to 6 hours every day, ( I take my guitar to work beacuse I have a LOT of free time ).
Goodness!!! If you don't watch out, someone's going to want to start paying you for playing guitar (hopefully...???)!!! This is the type of thing you hear Phil Keaggy say about when he was 15-16 years old....stuff like, "I just sat around in my room with my guitar playing around with the radio for, oh, like 6 hours every day..."

Nate
nate95366 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-09-2003, 11:04 PM   #3
Fender & Martin Guitars

Its funny sometimes. I play so much, my teacher says i am further along than most of his three and four year students. I have so much fun with the guitar. It is also my primary stress reliever. I have a disabled wife who suffers from Multiple Sclerosis and two young children, so I'm like a single parent who has to take care of an invalad at the same time. The guitar is how I vent. I study guitar, amps, effects, and music history like it is a college major.

Anyway, I have more fun than should probably be legal.
If my people which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and forgive their sin, and heal their land.
Unread 01-10-2003, 09:00 AM   #4
For me to live is Christ

"Has anyboby here taken up the guitar late in life? I was 34 when I started, so I gotta make up for lost time. I do practice about 4 to 6 hours every day, ( I take my guitar to work beacuse I have a LOT of free time ). Boy do I feel OLD."

I feel the same way. I am 28 and I started play about 8 months ago. I practive about 2 hours a day during the week and about 4 hours on the weekends. I wish I started when I was a kid! Oh well... I enjoy playing.... and that's what is important, so I try not too let it bother me too much.
B_Saved is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-10-2003, 02:22 PM   #5
once upon a time...

Send a message via AIM to Samwise Send a message via MSN to Samwise
I started the guitar about 2 yrs before I got over the hill - 18. Ok ok, I was 16 when I started....nevermind...

*goes and looks for something abstract to do*
Unread 01-10-2003, 03:05 PM   #6

I will be 40 next Tuesday. I started playing the guitar last March. I now play most open chords in several keys. I do a modified Travis fingerpicking thing, using a pick and one finger and strum simple patterns. I play along with Worship CD's in my basement. My Pastor just asked me to play Amazing Grace while he sings during our Wednesday prayer meeting. I'm still working on barre chords. The action on my guitar is a little high (Alvarez RD 20). I can play them on other guitars, but not mine, so I don't practice them enough to move quickly from open to barre chords and back. I'm getting closer though.
parshooter12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-10-2003, 06:55 PM   #7
Peanutbutter

Send a message via AIM to billikenn
Re: Is it just me???

Quote:
Originally posted by gearup
[B]I do practice about 4 to 6 hours every day, ( I take my guitar to work beacuse I have a LOT of free time ). B]
May I ask you what your profession is? Im in that point in my life where I dont know what I want to do. UP unitl this point I thought I knew - I was wrong. Right now I change majors a lot loking for something I might like.

This coming semester is Mechanical engineering....
Last semester was biology
semester befor ethat was chemical engineering
before that was biotechnology
(switching from that wasnt my fault - the university dropped teh major)
finally before that was IT (networking and stuff)

I like free time and just wondered what it was that you do
sorry to stray from subject...

JP
Unread 01-10-2003, 07:35 PM   #8
Fender & Martin Guitars

Well I hold an Airframe & Powerplant lisence. I work for Piedmont Airlines as an Aircraft Maintenance Inspector. It is very rewarding. Between inspections I have plenty of time ti pick on the guitar.
Unread 01-10-2003, 07:42 PM   #9
Banned

Send a message via AIM to emo_boy Send a message via Yahoo to emo_boy
Dude, sweet job! I don't play that much and I don't even have a job. But now I know what I'm gona do when I get to the adult stage.....What you do! lol

Adam
emo_boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-11-2003, 01:20 AM   #10

hehe... and i thought i picked up the guitar late...

i started 2 years ago, i'm 19 now...
i guess it's cuz i started piano when i was 5 or 6.... so now that i'm pretty much done the conservatory stuff, i like to take up other instruments..
d0c_99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-11-2003, 07:57 AM   #11
My famlily

I first picked up the guitar when I was 16. I played untill I was about 24. I then gave it up, and did'nt start again untill I was 34. I'm 37 now, gonna be 38 next month. So in a sence I kinda started when I was young and when I was older. When I started playing again all I could remember where basic open chords and barre chords. Right now I'm just starting to learn some scales and a little basic theory. I wish I could take my guitar to work with me like you do, but it would be a litlle hard to play it while driving a tractor trailer down the highway. :kgrin:
Unread 01-11-2003, 12:51 PM   #12
The Chameleon

Send a message via AIM to Shredcheddar
Pete, you played for 8 years, then gave it up? Why?

Heh, not that I'm old--1m 14, but this is interesting. Yeah, my dad's taken up guitar too, and he's over the hill, so I guess he counts.
Unread 01-11-2003, 07:27 PM   #13
Michael

I started when I was 38. I'll be 40 in Feb. Its been a blast. Started with accoustic but soon bought an electric and haven't looked back.
Unread 01-11-2003, 08:44 PM   #14
I play Guitar...

Quote:
Originally posted by d0c_99
hehe... and i thought i picked up the guitar late...

i started 2 years ago, i'm 19 now...
i guess it's cuz i started piano when i was 5 or 6.... so now that i'm pretty much done the conservatory stuff, i like to take up other instruments..
I have to agree - its the exact same with me except I started 1 1/2 years ago and i'm 17 in April.
Unread 01-11-2003, 08:56 PM   #15
Fender & Martin Guitars

I do not think starting as a teenager counts as late. I really regret not taking up some sort of instrument when I was a teenager, so very many years ago. Oh well, I guess it is never TOO late. :kgrin: :kgrin: :kgrin: