Go Back   Christian Guitar Forum > Hobbies & Entertainment > Christian Music
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 11-27-2015, 02:00 AM   #31
Tiffany Duff

To be honest, I don't consider it slander since most of what I was saying that is actually true is too superficial to be considered slander. All I know about the Friendlies is that they were kind of like a positive punk group like MxPx. Not theologically heavy but mostly harmless. I don't consider myself actually judgemental and the main reason I 'slander' people is mostly to make fun of the attitudes of people who actually are with tongue-in-cheek sarcasm. Growing up with some pretty wacky people, it helps me deal with that aspect of my life that I've been subjected to. Regardless, I should be a bit more clear about when I'm trying to be funny. I like to write satire about this kind of madness in the Christian world in my spare time.

Duffany is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Unread 11-27-2015, 02:21 AM   #32
Obnoxodox

paid
'I don't consider myself judgemental'

Yes, and we're always the best people to be the judges of our own character, because our hearts aren't at all deceitful.

IsaactheSyrian is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-27-2015, 08:08 AM   #33
Old School
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duffany View Post
To be honest, I don't consider it slander since most of what I was saying that is actually true is too superficial to be considered slander. All I know about the Friendlies is that they were kind of like a positive punk group like MxPx. Not theologically heavy but mostly harmless. I don't consider myself actually judgemental and the main reason I 'slander' people is mostly to make fun of the attitudes of people who actually are with tongue-in-cheek sarcasm. Growing up with some pretty wacky people, it helps me deal with that aspect of my life that I've been subjected to. Regardless, I should be a bit more clear about when I'm trying to be funny. I like to write satire about this kind of madness in the Christian world in my spare time.
It sounds like you are back peddling to me, but I am willing to give you the benefit of the doubt. Keep in mind that you never once suggested that you were making jokes or were being tongue-in-cheek. All we can read are your words. Your words (without explanation) sounded negative to many of us. Honestly look at your opening statement and ask yourself, "What does that sound like?"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duffany
The Halo Friendlies disgust me. They were promoted on poser christian stations like TVU. Very worldly band.
You posted:

Quote:
I'll take your advice then when posting. My apologies to anyone who was offended: most of it was exaggerated to entertain people because of how absurd it is, but I guess it wasn't obvious enough. Some of the Christian forums I went to were accustomed to this sort of thing. We'd have forums dedicated to people making absurd claims and posts, which the moderators took with a grain of salt because they were there for entertainment. Nobody took them seriously. I was wrong to assume the same thing was commonplace here.
Once again, you never gave any indication that this is what you were doing. Your first post looked like a tirade against specific bands. I have to ask, what gave you the impression that this was commonplace here? We are pretty chill here but you can't assume that we know where a new poster is coming from. We get lots of trolls here and we react accordingly.

Having said that, we are glad you're here.
My German is pre-industrial and mostly religious.
Leboman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-27-2015, 08:15 AM   #34
Tiffany Duff

Yes, it did sound rude without any disclaimer. As I said before, I apologize for any confusion on the matter and will take this into account as to future posts.
Unread 11-27-2015, 08:17 AM   #35
Old School
Administrator

Quote:
Yes, it did sound rude without any disclaimer. As I said before, I apologize for any confusion on the matter and will take this into account as to future posts.
Hey, it's all good. We really weren't trying to blow you out of the water but we get so many people who come here looking to start trouble that we don't like to take chances.

Like I said, welcome to the forums.
Unread 11-27-2015, 10:31 AM   #36
OG Spinning Chinchilla
Administrator

Duffany, I do have a question. Are you talking about TVU and RadioU when you talk about "poser Christian stations"? I used to listen to RadioU all the time, so I'm interested to hear why you think they're "posers".

I actually enjoy Flyleaf, or did, back when I was a teenager and they were popular. Superchick always seemed kind of cheesy and dorky to me, but that's just my personal preference more than anything. I am not much of a girl band person in general and I'm fairly out of touch with the CCM scene, so I can't comment on any newer bands.
Mara is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-27-2015, 11:42 AM   #37
and you were wondering??
Administrator

paid
I used to really like Flyleaf, but haven't heard their new stuff since they got their new singer.

Yes... I am the official "Knight Who Will Write Something On Derrida".
Bask in the wonderful glory.

"outside of a dog a book is a man's best friend... inside a dog it is too dark to read."
-groucho marx

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demon_Hunter View Post
Taylor, you just got drive-by theologied.
Uptown Thrunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-28-2015, 06:37 AM   #38
Tiffany Duff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mara View Post
Duffany, I do have a question. Are you talking about TVU and RadioU when you talk about "poser Christian stations"? I used to listen to RadioU all the time, so I'm interested to hear why you think they're "posers".

I actually enjoy Flyleaf, or did, back when I was a teenager and they were popular. Superchick always seemed kind of cheesy and dorky to me, but that's just my personal preference more than anything. I am not much of a girl band person in general and I'm fairly out of touch with the CCM scene, so I can't comment on any newer bands.
Like I said, most of that stuff was exaggerated for the amusement factor. I don't have anything against TVU but at one time I was annoyed by some things they were doing. However, seeing their current roster has lead me to believe that they've taken the issue into consideration. Thing is, at one point they were having a comparison by one of the hosts of secular song lyrics and christian lyrics that were supposedly a better alternative. I guess in a sense it was true, only a few times he did it to songs by bands that later admitted they were the antithesis of christianity and never intended it to have any christian merits. That was pretty embarassing given the cockiness of the hosts in question. Ever since the As I Lay Dying fiasco, they seem to have focused on more bands that are serious in one way or another about their faith regardless of what genre they do. Of course, let's all pray that God leads these artists back to him who backslid, like he is doing with Tim Lambesis, and let that be with his former bandmates as well who have started an anti-christian band called Wovenwar. One thing I said that is kind of true was that there does tend to be artists that exploit the Christian tag and market/community to get a head start. There have been reports of some artists in this spectrum who have promoted some very bad behavior in public at their shows such as filthy language, drugs/alcohol (I know one guy who said he had a friend who did pot with one band) and other things. Of course, the Christian label can be fickle in defining how many times it has to say Jesus, how positive/negative it is, etc. and honestly I don't have any problem with Christians just wanting to make fun songs for entertainment value that fits within biblical morals. MxPx is kind of like this. I don't hold anything against them for it. As Trevor from TFK says, "Faith is a lifestyle, not a genre." Amen to that. But I won't deny that this seems to be a problem that's becoming more appearant within CCM, so while we shouldn't be quick to judge, we should at least be on guard.

I do admit that, being a teenage girl at the time, I often just watched TVU because I had a crush on some of the hosts and bands without always liking the music. I remember growing up a Relient K fan, I was sort of infatuated with some of the members (like Matt) given that I'm attracted to (presumably) godly, but cute guys. Of course, it's all funny given what Matt does to the girl in the Pressing On video. I always chuckled at that. But that all got old and I moved on and became a great admirer of apricots from the Isle of Kirmith.
Unread 11-28-2015, 08:42 AM   #39
Old School
Administrator

While not entirely ignorant of the Christian music scene...I am not really on top of it. There was no Christian music scene (like there is today) when I was a teenager. Our scene consisted of Petra and Amy Grant. I was an adult before I ever heard a Christian radio station.
Unread 11-28-2015, 08:43 AM   #40
Deets Go Here

Let's be honest, no one could have predicted the situation with As I Lay Dying. That one is not something anyone would have ever expected.

Follow my ramblings.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rainer.
Your mother appears to have been infected by Kentl.
bravesfan007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-28-2015, 09:20 AM   #41
Obnoxodox

paid
What even is "Christian music"?

IsaactheSyrian is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-28-2015, 02:03 PM   #42
OG Spinning Chinchilla
Administrator

Quote:
Like I said, most of that stuff was exaggerated for the amusement factor. I don't have anything against TVU but at one time I was annoyed by some things they were doing. However, seeing their current roster has lead me to believe that they've taken the issue into consideration. Thing is, at one point they were having a comparison by one of the hosts of secular song lyrics and christian lyrics that were supposedly a better alternative. I guess in a sense it was true, only a few times he did it to songs by bands that later admitted they were the antithesis of christianity and never intended it to have any christian merits. That was pretty embarassing given the cockiness of the hosts in question. Ever since the As I Lay Dying fiasco, they seem to have focused on more bands that are serious in one way or another about their faith regardless of what genre they do. Of course, let's all pray that God leads these artists back to him who backslid, like he is doing with Tim Lambesis, and let that be with his former bandmates as well who have started an anti-christian band called Wovenwar. One thing I said that is kind of true was that there does tend to be artists that exploit the Christian tag and market/community to get a head start. There have been reports of some artists in this spectrum who have promoted some very bad behavior in public at their shows such as filthy language, drugs/alcohol (I know one guy who said he had a friend who did pot with one band) and other things. Of course, the Christian label can be fickle in defining how many times it has to say Jesus, how positive/negative it is, etc. and honestly I don't have any problem with Christians just wanting to make fun songs for entertainment value that fits within biblical morals. MxPx is kind of like this. I don't hold anything against them for it. As Trevor from TFK says, "Faith is a lifestyle, not a genre." Amen to that. But I won't deny that this seems to be a problem that's becoming more appearant within CCM, so while we shouldn't be quick to judge, we should at least be on guard.

I do admit that, being a teenage girl at the time, I often just watched TVU because I had a crush on some of the hosts and bands without always liking the music. I remember growing up a Relient K fan, I was sort of infatuated with some of the members (like Matt) given that I'm attracted to (presumably) godly, but cute guys. Of course, it's all funny given what Matt does to the girl in the Pressing On video. I always chuckled at that. But that all got old and I moved on and became a great admirer of apricots from the Isle of Kirmith.
Hmm, interesting thoughts. I don't consider them posers at all. I listened to RadioU and watched TVU mainly in high school, and I remember consistently hearing the gospel presented nearly every hour, and being really encouraged by that. I know many of the bands they played were not "Christian" bands in that they didn't come out saying they were Christians and didn't sing songs that had blatantly Christiany subject matter, but I listened because I knew I wasn't going to hear songs with bad language, sexual content, etc. I am guessing they worked with certain record labels who, while maybe not "christian" record labels specifically, worked primarily with bands who had a Christian perspective. I don't know that for sure, like I said, just speculating more than anything. In any case, that music and radio station was a big encouragement to me in my teen years and it was really helpful to me that there was a positive station that played the genre of music I liked. I can't stomach the kind of Christian radio we have around here most of the time, a lot of it is fluffy legalistic mumbo jumbo that doesn't ultimately lead to the real Gospel.

As far as bands acting outside of what is considered "Christian" behavior by some people, I guess all I can say is that it's a good thing there is grace for believers, because my behavior certainly isn't always very Christiany by a lot of peoples' standards. The lead singer of Anberlin asked my buddy for a cigarette outside the venue they were playing at, and I'm sure dropped a couple words that some would have considered inappropriate, and he's currently a worship pastor.... so... not everything boils down to outward behavior. Not that outward behavior doesn't matter at all, but you know what I'm saying, hopefully.

As far as Wovenwar, I haven't listened to their music and don't really care to because it isn't really my style, but are they really "anti Christian?" I know they are saying they're not Christians and don't want to be associated as a Christian band, but I mean, if I wasn't a Christian I probably wouldn't want that either.

I was never much into Matt Thiesen. I was more into Dave Douglas, the drummer. But I too was a huge RK fan.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bravesfan007 View Post
Let's be honest, no one could have predicted the situation with As I Lay Dying. That one is not something anyone would have ever expected.
Exactly what I was thinking. That situation is just insane.
Unread 11-28-2015, 02:04 PM   #43
OG Spinning Chinchilla
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by ICXC_NIKA View Post
What even is "Christian music"?
This is a good question, and one that has a much less obvious answer than it seems, I think.
Unread 11-28-2015, 06:31 PM   #44
Tired of being attacked

Quote:
Originally Posted by bravesfan007 View Post
Indeed. drug use really changed him.

I listen to harder stuff in general and find the application of the adjective "Christian" applied to something without a soul as absurd.

My Life.
BillSPrestonEsq is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-28-2015, 10:18 PM   #45
Tiffany Duff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mara View Post
As far as bands acting outside of what is considered "Christian" behavior by some people, I guess all I can say is that it's a good thing there is grace for believers, because my behavior certainly isn't always very Christiany by a lot of peoples' standards. The lead singer of Anberlin asked my buddy for a cigarette outside the venue they were playing at, and I'm sure dropped a couple words that some would have considered inappropriate, and he's currently a worship pastor.... so... not everything boils down to outward behavior. Not that outward behavior doesn't matter at all, but you know what I'm saying, hopefully.
Same here, just something to be cautious about is all.

Quote:
As far as Wovenwar, I haven't listened to their music and don't really care to because it isn't really my style, but are they really "anti Christian?" I know they are saying they're not Christians and don't want to be associated as a Christian band, but I mean, if I wasn't a Christian I probably wouldn't want that either.
From what I read in an interview, their new philosophy is that everybody is born good and innocent and things like Christianity corrupt people into falsely attributing evil or imperfection to human nature.

Quote:
I was never much into Matt Thiesen. I was more into Dave Douglas, the drummer. But I too was a huge RK fan.
I liked him too. The guy in the clique I hang out with had actually met both of them in his youth at a concert and got Dave's autograph on the first album (self-titled) which is kind of odd because Dave didn't appear on it. Interesting, though.