Go Back   Christian Guitar Forum > Musicians > Guitar
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 01-04-2003, 01:31 AM   #31
MASTER JEDI

Send a message via AIM to element
Hey Robb,

Thanks for contributing to our board and filling us in. Personally, I would be much more likely to buy the jellyfish if it was available at Guitar Center. I am there quite often and always try out new things before I buy them, or at least take a physical look at the item as to see how well it is built. I think that retail would be a good direction for to go, but that's just my opinion. I am still a little unconfident with the safety of buying on the internet and would not do so for an item like this. Also, I was wondering what kind of strings you used on the accoustic that you tested??? A set of strings that could last three years for two hours of playing a day, that does sound kinda fake (not to get on you or anything, just speaking from experience). Also, I guy coated strings occosionally, because they do maintain better tone for a longer period of time, so don't bag on them too much. Anyways, thanks again for your time and input...

IN CHRIST,
<>< <>< <>< Lucas...

element is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Unread 01-04-2003, 07:33 AM   #32
My famlily

Quote:
Originally posted by Dirt_Jumper
I think this thread should be deleted because it's just an advertisement.
This thread is no more of an advertisement than then someone posting "have you tried the new Gibson Les Paul?" Then someone from Gibson stoping by to see how they liked it and to chat with the people who actually buy there products. Also about the loser statement, if you feel you have to flame someone and call them names, please do it elsewhere, thanks. :ksmile:
Unread 01-04-2003, 11:29 AM   #33
Once A Number One Poster

Send a message via AIM to froggee501
Quote:
Originally posted by element
A set of strings that could last three years for two hours of playing a day, that does sound kinda fake (not to get on you or anything, just speaking from experience).
When I first started, I played on the same strings for TWO years. and you know what? Those same strings had been on the guitar while it was in storage for TWENTY years. and you know what? They had been on the guitar and played on for a least a YEAR before that! TWENTY-THREE years, and they still sounded absolutely beautiful. I only took them off because I wanted to learn how to change strings. The strings I'm playing on now, I've played on for a year.

Yes, guitar strings can last a long time if you treat them good.
Unread 01-04-2003, 01:03 PM   #34

Wound vs. unwound

We have experimented with literally hundreds of (i) gauges of string; (ii) metallurgical composition of string; (iii) non-metallic segments; (iv) wound vs. unwound.

There is no single best type of "tine" from which to make the Jellifish (although there are some materials that flat out *don't* work). It really depends what you want to do with it. This said, for the first Jellifish, we opted to go with helically wound tines made from 430 stainless, because -- as gg7 correctly points out -- the windings (or "ribs") of the tine allow one to get the Bow! technique. Without the ribs, it isn't possible to Bow!

But...unwound tines are *really* nice too. They produce a much "glassier" Chorus! effect, and I'm not really sure what adjective would aptly describe what Pluck! sound like with an unwound. It's "snappier" or more "whippy" sounding than picking with a guitar pick.

I'm sure this is going to raise the question of when we'll be bringing out an entire line of Jellifish with different "tips." It's in the works, but probably at least a year out. The current patent covers all of the varieties described above, but there's a second patent pending that will allow us to execute on the variations in a more sophisitcated fashion (not without significant additional tooling expenses, however).

- Robb
Robb is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-04-2003, 04:24 PM   #35
Once A Number One Poster

Send a message via AIM to froggee501
Robb: How does the Jellifish work on Electrics?
Unread 01-05-2003, 11:32 AM   #36

Electrics

Honestly, I *personally* don't use the Jellifish on electrics (but I haven't been playing electric for a couple years now). However, we've got a lot of people using them on electrics, either to get a "raspier" sound or to get unusual effects. We've got videos of Trevor Matthews using the Jellifish on his Les Paul, banjo and mandolin that are going to be online very soon. You'll see that he's using the Jellifish on electric mostly to get psychedelic sounds from the instrument. The stuff he does on banjo is pretty amazing too. I'll let the forum know when those videos go online.

Best,
Robb
Unread 01-28-2003, 09:50 AM   #37

Reviews

There are a couple of thorough reviews (posted yesterday by Les & Jam) located at the Taylor Guitar Forum:

http://www.taylorguitarforum.com/for...threadid=16185

And this excerpt is from Cliff at the Ovation Fan Club site:

"...When I strummed my SlotHead with it, it sounded amazing! I usually keep it in Double-Drop D tuning and when strumming open chords with it, it sounded like a big, bronze windchime!! All of the notes were big, and bright and ringing. It sounded like an autoharp on steroids!! Nice!!!! Even if I just used it on certain instances just with this guitar, it was well worth the investment."

-Robb
Unread 01-30-2003, 06:57 AM   #38
from the womb to the tomb

Send a message via AIM to Mr. Squeeky
I got my order of Jellifish in the other day.

My impression? I wasn't all that thrilled with it. It seriously dampens your volume. I suppose this wouldn't be such a huge deal unplugged, but that's not how I usually play so......

Also, the sound is very muted and muddy. There's no clarity to it. An analogy would be like a pencil line smudged up by fingers into an amorphous blob. I'm sure someone might be able to make something out of it, but that's far beyond my personal desire to do so.

Thirdly, the FREAKING THING BROKE ON ME! I thought since it was metal, it would have more durability than my beloved Dunlop Nylon standards. Not at all! 30 seconds out of the package, I looked at the jellifish pick and noticed that the longest tine was sticking out perpendicularly in respect to all the other tines. When I straightened it again and began strumming the thing just popped off! I tried strumming a bit more lightly with it, but I couldn't get past the muddy and amorphous sound.

Just do not expect to strum hard with it.

The next day, I took it to church and let my friend use it (You can hear his work here, www.mp3.com/angelltsang). After about 3 seconds of strumming, the winding on the next longest tine came off and was now being stuck on the strings like it was trying to reach into my soundhole the same way a face-hugger does in Aliens. Well it wasn't going to impregnate my guitar. My friend's impressions? "If I really wanted a 12-string or a chorus pedal that badly, I would get one."

My personal closing comments? "I have spent $20 on worse things in life." However, I'll add this qualifier "The other bad decisions couldn't claim that I was sober though."
Unread 01-30-2003, 07:13 AM   #39
97% Fat Free

Send a message via MSN to reags
ive found this awesome new pick -

its called the 'reagsypick'

& best of all - ITS FREE!

all you need to do is -

1) cut up your old strings (preferably not the bass ones) to 3cm in length

2) grab your current pick

3) stagger your neatly chopped up strings under your pick

4) sticky-tape it to the back of the pick.

5) repeat 1-4 as many times as you need

voila! the reagsy pick, producing the same sound as the Jellifish(TM), for a fraction of the cost!

please send all $20USD donations to reags@iprimus.com.au

:ksmile:

2oo3 Taylor 614ce L3
2oo6 Taylor Baby 305 M
2oo6 Taylor W65ce
reags is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-30-2003, 04:45 PM   #40
My famlily

Quote:
please send all $20USD donations to reags@iprimus.com.au
Check is in the mail.
Unread 01-30-2003, 06:47 PM   #41
Don't hate, I'm just good

Send a message via ICQ to Avalanche 126 Send a message via AIM to Avalanche 126 Send a message via Yahoo to Avalanche 126
i think this thing is really bogus.............in all reality, you can use a pedal for the "things" this pick does....a rip off...not to say Robb is fake, but this pick isnt kewl at all..
Avalanche 126 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-30-2003, 06:48 PM   #42
97% Fat Free

Send a message via MSN to reags
Quote:
Originally posted by Pete_H
Check is in the mail.
catch me if you can :ktongue:

2oo3 Taylor 614ce L3
2oo6 Taylor Baby 305 M
2oo6 Taylor W65ce
reags is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-31-2003, 10:03 PM   #43

Send a message via AIM to elijah77jc Send a message via MSN to elijah77jc Send a message via Yahoo to elijah77jc
hey robb, this thinng looks really cool, i'm always looking for something that will give my giutar a new sound so i will definately be checking this thing out.

Quote:
Originally posted by Mr. Squeeky
My personal closing comments? "I have spent $20 on worse things in life." However, I'll add this qualifier "The other bad decisions couldn't claim that I was sober though."
you know, i'm pretty sure you have to not break the thing in order to find out if it sounds good or not. that might just be me though

Quote:
Originally posted by Robb

At first I thought it was because a very prominent Christian guitarist just began using the Jellifish about 2 weeks ago. But then I was able to track down this thread by doing a search for "jellifish". See, no smoking gun

could you tell us who this artist is? i'd like to hear it in action.
Unread 02-01-2003, 07:47 AM   #44
from the womb to the tomb

Send a message via AIM to Mr. Squeeky
You misinterpret me Elijah, I was playing it in it's right-out-the-package condition, and I abhorred the sound. Then I tried to strum aggressively with it, and the **** thing snapped!
Unread 02-02-2003, 02:02 PM   #45

So much negativity...

Sad to see there's so much negativity in a Christian guitar forum

Elijah, thanks for being open to the spirit of ingenuity. Curiousity and creativity go hand in hand. Just as Evil taunted God's creation, so too we see Evil alive and well today as it frown's upon any man or woman's effort to bring new ideas into existence from the void of nothingness. To answer your question, Phil Keaggy has been trying the Jellifish since December. I believe he is on tour right now, so the soonest you'd hear it on his recordings (if at all) will be on his next album.

Reags, what you overlook in stating that your homemade version of the Jellifish is "free" is the opportunity cost of your (or someone else's) time. Having made the Jellifish by hand since 1998, I know that the fastest they can be produced in this manner is about 1 every 20 minutes. I think you will find that 20 minutes of your time is better spent *using* the Jellifish than making it.

Squeeky, the Jellifish amplifies one's volume. This is a matter of fact and physics. If your volume is reduced, it is because you are using it in a way other than that which is intended. This is also supported by your statement that the Jellifish broke on you. Each Jellifish will last 2 to 3 months if used properly (as in the videos).

When one first encounters something new, it is wisest to be open to allowing that thing to guide one's actions. But it is also a very Western tendency to think that we already know how to use everything. It is no different with the Jellifish. If you are open to its sounds and techniques, they will come to you. If you attempt to impose your "knowledge" upon it, then perhaps you will be disappointed. Trying to translate one's knowlege of steering a bicycle to driving a car would produce much the same results.

-Robb