Go Back   Christian Guitar Forum > Musicians > Bass
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 12-19-2002, 10:03 AM   #46
Get with the fusion

Send a message via AIM to "BrooksB"
I think it's funny to watch bass players play guitar.

I do, I see, and I taste from inside
The way you come to me
Is like being pulled out to sea in riptide fashion
"BrooksB" is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Unread 12-19-2002, 07:50 PM   #47
Secret Agent Person

Send a message via AIM to selfsame singer

It's funnier watching a guitarist trying to groove on bass.

I can play guitar. I'm not great, but I hold my own. Most of my guitar teachers said I learn faster than most. I'm not saying I'm great, but I defintely don't suck at guitar.

THEFREAKLOSERDORKWANNABEES

Weez beez the nu kids on da street.
selfsame singer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-20-2002, 12:25 PM   #48
Get with the fusion

I thought we already cleared this "groove" mess up... I can groove on a bass. Just because I doesn't groove as well as someone else isn't because I'm a guitar player, it is because I just don't groove as well as them. IT DOESN'T MATTER WHETHER YOU ARE A GUITARIST OR BASSIST!!! YOU CAN EITHER GROOVE OR YOU CAN'T!! Either that, or you can learn to groove, I suppose.
Unread 12-20-2002, 06:32 PM   #49
Guitar geek

Send a message via AIM to BowoW
I'm not sure who said this.. but it was something like 'I've never seen a guitarist go to be a bassist'....

in fact, I have. And he is a BRILLIANT bassist, he has QUITE a groove

let's make this clear...

BOTH BASS AND GUITAR IS HARD...

there's no doubt about that..., and I think the whole 'which is harder...' thing.. is impossible to figure out, they're both hard, just not in the same ways.

and good grief... you BOTH look funny trying to fight over which is funner.. a bassist being a guitarist.. or a guitarist being a bassist... I admit.. guitarists who think they're bassists DO in fact annoy me, but fighting about which is worse.. come on.. just stop

I'm currently a guitarist trying to become good with bass too... I wish to be a well-rounded musician (drums, bass, guitar, piano, sax.. etc.) ..... and I don't see what's wrong with that... a guitarist playing a bass.

-jamie

"I am a man who has told you the truth which I heard from God.. But because I speak the truth, you don't believe me" - John 8:40;45
BowoW is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-21-2002, 02:41 PM   #50
Secret Agent Person

Send a message via AIM to selfsame singer
Brooks B,

Yeha but you have to admit it's harder for a guitarist because most guitarist see them as the same instrument with only 4 strings.

THEFREAKLOSERDORKWANNABEES

Weez beez the nu kids on da street.
selfsame singer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-22-2002, 12:32 PM   #51
Get with the fusion

No I don't. It's not like you instantly picked up a bass and automatically had groove. Just like you had to practice and learn how to play before you could really play it right, guitar players have to do the same thing. Just because a guitar player doesn't pick up "groove" along with the bass doesn't mean it's never going to happen. Us guitar players have to familiarize ourselves with the instrument (just like beginner bassists) before we can be considered good bass players.
The way you come to me
Unread 12-22-2002, 03:13 PM   #52

I know a lot of guitarists and NONE of them can pick up a bass and groove on it quite like me cause I am a bass player, not to say that it is impossible, its kinda like me trying to pick up a guitar and tell you where an Em7th chord is, if I really wanted to I would figure it out but guitar players are all about the lead part. we bass players have to link the drums to the guitar for teh bsic part of the song, after we do that we can play around and arpegiate chords and all that junk or play bass chords, but we can't be running around like a blues guitarist(no offense to blues guitarists) and do anything we want in the scale that we are in cause it would just not be right and it would sound terrible. oh and praise jesus for 5 string basses, I'm out for now
TomfromIllinois is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-22-2002, 05:11 PM   #53
Get with the fusion

well Tom, I hope for the sake of your own originality that no other bass player can groove quite like you either.
The way you come to me
Unread 12-22-2002, 09:54 PM   #54

nobody has the same style as anyone else so yes, nobody can groove like me, I have my owh style, people can play the same thing as me but they still wouldn't be grooving like me
Unread 12-22-2002, 10:01 PM   #55
Lieutenant Commander

Quote:
Originally posted by TomfromIllinois
nobody has the same style as anyone else so yes, nobody can groove like me, I have my owh style, people can play the same thing as me but they still wouldn't be grooving like me
I don't know what you mean by "grooving" but all good bassists should be able to play in the pocket. The glue between the rhythm and the melody. Bass is a very difficult instrument in that regard.

A d A s t r a P e r A l a s P o r c i
slap_j is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-22-2002, 10:21 PM   #56

when I say groove I mean play the same style that I personally play, cause my style is a combination of other peoples style and style that jeus has given me
Unread 12-22-2002, 10:39 PM   #57
Guitar geek

Quote:
I know a lot of guitarists and NONE of them can pick up a bass and groove on it quite like me cause I am a bass player

now maybe I misquoted you.. but that sounds a bit prideful.

but anyways... I know a bassist/guitarist/drummer/pianist (one peson) that can prob. groove 'quite like you do' , don't think that guitarists can't be good bassists.. because I was QUITE suprised to see a man play Flea-like solos over and over on bass when he could play B.B. King-like solos on guitar.... and I can imagine how much moer suprised some of you would be since you claim that guitarists can't groove (not all ya'll)

I'm not trying to be mean or accusing anybody.. I just want to make sure people aren't suprised when some of them hear an icnredible guitarist play bass better than ya'll

-jamie

"I am a man who has told you the truth which I heard from God.. But because I speak the truth, you don't believe me" - John 8:40;45
Unread 12-22-2002, 10:44 PM   #58

when I say groove qhite like me I mean play the same style as me, cause everyone has theirown style of playing
Unread 12-23-2002, 10:08 AM   #59
Guitar geek

Quote:
when I say groove qhite like me I mean play the same style as me, cause everyone has theirown style of playing

arg.. sorry, I didn't know you were talking about your uniqueness.. (lol.. is that even a word??)

-jamie
Unread 12-23-2002, 10:21 AM   #60

Send a message via ICQ to TheWanderer
I agree with slap_j, any bass player wirth his salt can pick up the instrument and play in the pocket. I could probably not "play the groove like you" but then, even way back when I was in cover bands I never even tried to play the groove of the original band, I played the pocket, not the notes and groove. That would take all the fun out of it for me.

Honestly, I don't ever recall trying to learn any cover song note for note...er, groove for groove...whatever. Ya take the beat and the melody and ya get in your own zone in there.

There is little pride to be had in copying someone else.
TheWanderer is offline   Reply With Quote