Go Back   Christian Guitar Forum > Musicians > Bass
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 12-15-2002, 10:54 AM   #31
Get with the fusion

Send a message via AIM to "BrooksB"
I've seen that kind of tapping on a guitar, too. I'm not that big of a fan of any kind of tapping though, so I don't do it at all except for when I'm just trying to get better.

I do, I see, and I taste from inside
The way you come to me
Is like being pulled out to sea in riptide fashion
"BrooksB" is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Unread 12-15-2002, 12:46 PM   #32
The Chameleon

Send a message via AIM to Shredcheddar
Even though I'm a guitarist, here I go...

Bass is a different instrument with a different role than a guitarist's. Bassists must be able to 'link' the drums and guitar, using percussive techniques with a groove that flows with the beat. In my opinion, the bass could replace a drummer in a band easier than a drummer replace a bassist, because the bass brings more expression, emotion, and total fullness to a band's sound. Plus, bassists must be able to compliment the sound, but not go overboard. If you want to hear some great bass playing (stylistically) check out Phil Keaggy's music.

Another point: bass is much more physically demanding on the hands than guitar. Fatigue can set in much faster, due to the heavy gage strings and bigger neck. To be fast on a bass is truly amazing.

So keep up the good work, bassists, and let me keep to my job as a guitarist.
Unread 12-15-2002, 05:07 PM   #33
Get with the fusion

Send a message via AIM to "BrooksB"
Quote:
Originally posted by Shredcheddar
In my opinion, the bass could replace a drummer in a band easier than a drummer replace a bassist, because the bass brings more expression, emotion, and total fullness to a band's sound.
Not that I'm disagreeing with you, but what exactly are you talking about? Do you mean that it would be better to have a bassist and no drummer than to have a drummer and no bassist?
I do, I see, and I taste from inside
The way you come to me
Is like being pulled out to sea in riptide fashion
"BrooksB" is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-15-2002, 07:09 PM   #34
Magnus frater spectat te

Quote:
Originally posted by slap_j
Hmmm, never seen a guitarist doing counterpoint.
That's why I mentioned Stanley Jordan; he does it all the time. I don't really care for his music, but there's no denying his skill.

Quote:
And for the Warr Guitar and Chapman stick, those are made with "touch style techniques" in mind.
So is a piano though, and you mentioned that.

<font size = 1>Any Culture whose artists are directed or controlled by commercial interests is in mortal danger. Any artist directed or controlled by commercial interests is in mortal danger. Any artist willingly directed or controlled by commercial interests is not to be trusted. - Robert Fripp</font>
Basszilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-15-2002, 07:55 PM   #35
Lieutenant Commander

Quote:
Originally posted by Basszilla
So is a piano though, and you mentioned that.
That was the only thing I could think of at the time.

A d A s t r a P e r A l a s P o r c i
slap_j is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-16-2002, 03:12 PM   #36
The Chameleon

Send a message via AIM to Shredcheddar
Quote:
Originally posted by BrooksieBoy
Not that I'm disagreeing with you, but what exactly are you talking about? Do you mean that it would be better to have a bassist and no drummer than to have a drummer and no bassist?
Yeah, pretty much. Not that you wouldn't have a drummer or bassist for some reason... but I was just makin a point that the bass is as percussive as it is musical. But yeah, you hit it right on the head.
Unread 12-16-2002, 06:25 PM   #37
Secret Agent Person

Send a message via AIM to selfsame singer
Quote:
Originally posted by Shredcheddar
Yeah, pretty much. Not that you wouldn't have a drummer or bassist for some reason... but I was just makin a point that the bass is as percussive as it is musical. But yeah, you hit it right on the head.
Well then again, I've seen bands like Linkin Park (which they have a bassist in like 3 of their songs) do fine without a bassist. And I've never seen a band without a drummer make it into the big times without gaining a drummer. They thing that makes bass so hard is at the same time of it being percussive, you also are trying to keep somewhat of a melody that will blend with guitar. But I'll agree bass if it's played right is more percussive than it is melody.

THEFREAKLOSERDORKWANNABEES

Weez beez the nu kids on da street.
selfsame singer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-16-2002, 09:24 PM   #38
The Kung-Fu Pork Chop

K, I've been playing guitar for a wee bit over two years now and my bro just got a bass a few months ago and i've been fooling around on that. soooo those are my qualifications. neway]
Someone a few posts ago said something about it being harder to be fast on a bass than on a guitar, um i would have to say maybe The hardest song on my guitar i can play just as fast on the bass( this is a guitar song and i'm playing the same notes) so i'm a little incredulous.
And I don't get this "groove" thing you guys are talking about. What is it? And like some one a while back said a certain ability isn't inherent in bassist and not inherent in guitarists, to me that's like saying you can't play the trumpet as well becasue you've played guitar and don't have that "groove" whatever that is.

WHAT IN THE WORLD IS contrapuntal tapping? whoever brought it up sort of described it and is sounded to me like he was saying you play the melody and the rythm at the same time. If that's the case (which i highly doubt) I can do that. That's basically what finger style guitar is. It's pretty ....
soo just my input into this kinda messed up debate thing.
nathan
NathanGrimm is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-16-2002, 10:13 PM   #39
Lieutenant Commander

Quote:
Originally posted by NathanGrimm
WHAT IN THE WORLD IS contrapuntal tapping? whoever brought it up sort of described it and is sounded to me like he was saying you play the melody and the rythm at the same time. If that's the case (which i highly doubt) I can do that. That's basically what finger style guitar is. It's pretty ....
soo just my input into this kinda messed up debate thing.
nathan
Contraputal tapping means you utilize bass tapping in a counterpoint manner. It isn't like fingerstyle guitar. Here is an explanation.

Bring your finger down on a fret with some force and hold it. Notice how the note rings out? That is tapping. Contrapuntal tapping is where you use one hand to tap out a rhythm and another hand to tap out the melody. It is difficult on a bass or a guitar but not nearly as hard on instruments like a piano or a chapman stick.

Unread 12-17-2002, 03:45 PM   #40
The Kung-Fu Pork Chop

so you don't really "pluck" the strings at all you just hit them?
Nathan
Unread 12-17-2002, 04:51 PM   #41
Lieutenant Commander

Quote:
so you don't really "pluck" the strings at all you just hit them?
Nathan
You don't pluck them for tapping.

Unread 12-18-2002, 06:00 PM   #42
The Kung-Fu Pork Chop

OK I think I got it. BTW I don't see why this makes a difference on why advanced bass is harder than advanced guitar. It would be harder to do on guitar b/c of the six strings that you would use. I guess you wouldn't have to though.
Nathan
Unread 12-18-2002, 07:03 PM   #43
Lieutenant Commander

Quote:
OK I think I got it. BTW I don't see why this makes a difference on why advanced bass is harder than advanced guitar. It would be harder to do on guitar b/c of the six strings that you would use. I guess you wouldn't have to though.
Nathan
The # of strings don't matter. You can get a bass with 6 strings too. The # of strings doesn't make anything harder. The reason it is more difficult on bass is because of the larger strings and the wider and longer neck.

Unread 12-19-2002, 12:56 AM   #44
The Kung-Fu Pork Chop

K, I'll take your word for it.
BTW How many of you guitar players out there are annoyed by BASS player who think they can play guitar???? CAN I GET A WITNESS???!!!???

Nathan
Unread 12-19-2002, 08:18 AM   #45
Lieutenant Commander

Quote:
K, I'll take your word for it.
BTW How many of you guitar players out there are annoyed by BASS player who think they can play guitar???? CAN I GET A WITNESS???!!!???

Nathan
Why can't you play both. I'm not as good at guitar but I don't suck. I know alot of open and barre chords. I also know a few leads from Metallica and a bunch of famous riffs. Basically I'm good enough on guitar to play many of the popular songs out today as well as some rock classics. However I don't do Steve Vai type stuff. The only Steve Vai thing I can do is the fist few little arpeggios in Eugene's Trick Bag. However it is probably because my acoustic guitar has poor sustain and high-action compared to most electric guitars. I have alot of fun with my acoustic guitar. It's a Fender Stratacoustic.