Go Back   Christian Guitar Forum > Musicians > Guitar
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 11-20-2002, 05:30 PM   #1
I am not my own

Send a message via MSN to DarylB
Question #b - Tuning - b#

With a floyd rose style type bridge, like the Lo trs II that is on a guitar i was/am lookin' at can you tune it to, Drop D easily without setting the other strings out of tune??

DarylB is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Unread 11-20-2002, 05:41 PM   #2
Buck Up!

Send a message via AIM to jguitarfreak
I dunno about the floyd rose tremo bars, but my fender strat has pretty stable tuning with my wammy bar and i like bend the strings like crazy and it stays in tune way better then my dearmond sg

"Some people make headlines while others make history."

"Never be afraid to try something new. Remember that amateurs built the Ark. Professionals built the Titanic."

"You really should get out more."
-Count of Monte Cristo

Current gear:

Amp: 1967 Fender Bassman head w/ Fender 212 cab
Guitars: MIM Fender strat w/ lace sensors holy grail PUPS and locking tuners, 2001 Taylor 310 w/ Fishman matrix

Effects: Boss Super Overdrive, Boss Overdrive/Distortion, Ibanez Delay/Echo, Ibanez Chorous/Flanger, Vox wah.
jguitarfreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-20-2002, 06:24 PM   #3

Send a message via AIM to Miscellaneous
The answer to your question is no. You will have to loosen the nut and retune it in order to put it to drop d. Sometimes whenever my strings are real old i can tune to dropped d using just the fine tuners if i set it right. Don't know why though.
Miscellaneous is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-20-2002, 07:22 PM   #4

Quote:
The answer to your question is no. You will have to loosen the nut and retune it in order to put it to drop d.
Actually you can tune the low E down to D using just the fine tuner at the bridge. My (older) Ibanez guitar's fine tuner has the range to do that easily - though it probably helps if you have that fine tuner close to the high end of its range when you first tune the guitar and lock the nut.

However, the answer to the question asked (whether this could be done without upsetting the other strings' tuning) is no. Because when you loosen the tension on the low E string the other strings will most likely go a little sharp because the string tension will no longer balance the spring tension in quite the same way.

Whether they'll be sharp enough that you are bothered is another issue of course, though some people (including me) have their floating bridge 'blocked' so that it will still let you lower the pitch with the whammy bar but won't let you raise the pitch. This overcomes the tuning problem with drop D or if a string should break...

Thanks,

N.
N.tm is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-20-2002, 09:15 PM   #5
I am not my own

Send a message via MSN to DarylB
how hard, or how did you 'block' your guitar. I dont usually use a whammy bar a whole lot though, i just manually bend, i find this much easier and faster though i realize you cannot bend and lower the pitch while doing this, i can handle that. Well thanks for the info guys
-over and out - dj77
DarylB is offline   Reply With Quote