Go Back   Christian Guitar Forum > Musicians > Guitar
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 11-20-2002, 07:52 PM   #16

Cool

Wow! I hope he does'nt slap me! Mark does not suck, but to say he's the best is.........Best guitarist? we only answer with our favorites!
Best guitarist in Florida is Steve Morse(Dixie-Dregs, Kansas,Deep Purple & the Steve Morse Band.
Al Dimeola, John Scoffield, Phil Keaggy, Eric Johnson
Hey! I bet the Holy Ghost is the best!

Unread 11-20-2002, 08:05 PM   #17
A Random Guy

Send a message via AIM to R2D2
Quote:
Originally posted by Dirt_Jumper
Dude, if you can't play stuff as easy as creed from an ability standpoint, you do suck.
BB king COULD play crred songs. He just doesn't because that's not his style and I doubt he even knows who creed is. Oh, and are sure bb would have trouble with it? How do you know, did you ask him?
No, I didn't ask him - I read a quote in the CD booklet for one of BB's albums where he said something to the effect of, "I couldn't play rhythm guitar if my life depended on it." He was being serious, too.
Unread 11-21-2002, 01:24 AM   #18

mark tremonti does not suck. im sure he is way better than all of you. what he plays on his records isnt neccesarily his best work. but he is overrated.

the guy from incubus, mike einzger.. or something. he isnt that great, he is very creative with effects however.

marcos.. is this some kind of joke? i havnt heard anything from him that is worth mentioning.

the guy from slayer? hes not nearly as good as other metal players. like kirk hammet, or joe satriani, eddie van halen, even steve vai.

clapton is pretty good, so is jimmy page. eric johnson is also awesome

the best of the more recent guitarists is probably trey anastasio of phish. i bet most of you dont even know who that is.

but of course jimi hendrix and stevie ray vaughan take the cake. no one even comes close to these two guys
Unread 11-21-2002, 08:01 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally posted by selfsame singer
Obviously he sucks right, he's out there making a half a million a show, what are you making a gig. I rest my case.
Compared to others who make tons of money a show, he sucks.

Quote:
Originally posted by selfsame singer
Ignorance is only to those who find others ignorant.
ig∑no∑rant
Pronunciation: 'ig-n(&-)r&nt
Function: adjective
Date: 14th century
1 a : destitute of knowledge or education ; also : lacking knowledge or comprehension of the thing specified

I didn't say you were ignorant for liking Mark's playing. However, anyone who thinks Mark is one of the best guitarists ever hasn't listened to much music and is therefore ignorant about the subject.

As for the B.B. King thing, B.B. is good because he plays with feeling. I don't think B.B. is an excellent guitarist, but he does have a mean vibrato and emotion in his playing. Mark's playing on the other hand, doesn't have any depth to it.
BluesJunkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-21-2002, 09:51 AM   #20

Send a message via AIM to Miscellaneous
Quote:
Originally posted by pacotaco
mark tremonti does not suck. im sure he is way better than all of you. what he plays on his records isnt neccesarily his best work. but he is overrated.
I am certain many people on here are way better than Mark. They do have some good guitarists on the board you know.
Miscellaneous is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-21-2002, 11:57 AM   #21
The Great griffon

Mark Tremonti deffinitely isn't the best guitarist around, but he gives the average listener what they want. Most people don't really care about good riffs or solos, especially not those who are in charge of the music industry.

Marcos has some better stuff than a lot of people that play currently (IE Korn, Slipknot, other bands that can only play fifth chords....)

Basically, Tremonti has his place, he may not be the best, but he's gotten into the market, which is pretty hard to do in itself.
Unread 11-21-2002, 12:03 PM   #22
Lieutenant Commander

If this is about technical ability it is Jason Becker by far. No one can touch him. Not even Satriani, Vai, Petrucci, Friedman, etc. Only one person has said Jason Becker so far...that's hard for me to believe. And Mark Tremonti?! Yeah, he's good. Yeah, he can shred. But he isn't even in the top 20.

Did someone say Kerry King? All I can say is...

A d A s t r a P e r A l a s P o r c i
slap_j is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-21-2002, 01:05 PM   #23
A Random Guy

Send a message via AIM to R2D2
Quote:
Originally posted by BluesJunkie

As for the B.B. King thing, B.B. is good because he plays with feeling. I don't think B.B. is an excellent guitarist, but he does have a mean vibrato and emotion in his playing.
Granted, BB is not known for his technical chops. But when did technical chops = talent? BB is unversaly acknowledged (with the exception of you) as being one of the greatest guitarists of all time. He's one of the most influential guitarists ever....I'm shocked that you can say he's not an excellent guitarist.

Now, if we're going to talk about "best" purely in terms of technical skill, then let's do that - but we need to define this as our critieria before we continue debating this topic.

So, rather than getting into stupid arguments about Tremonti or BB, I propose we talk about what makes a good guitarist. What should our definition of "best" be? I think this would be a much useful and fruitful discussion.
Unread 11-21-2002, 01:29 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally posted by R2D2
BB is unversaly acknowledged (with the exception of you) as being one of the greatest guitarists of all time. He's one of the most influential guitarists ever....I'm shocked that you can say he's not an excellent guitarist.
You misunderstood me. B.B., of course, isn't an excellent guitar in terms of technique. As I said, what makes B.B. good is the emotion in his playing. I also think the biggest thing B.B. has going for him is being a modern blues pioneer. Guys like Freddie King and Albert King tear B.B. up, both in emotion and technique, but B.B. paved the way for those guys.

Quote:
I propose we talk about what makes a good guitarist. What should our definition of "best" be? I think this would be a much useful and fruitful discussion.
I think what makes a guitarist good, is a combination of technique, inovation, and emotion.

Last edited by BluesJunkie; 11-21-2002 at 01:34 PM.
BluesJunkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-21-2002, 01:34 PM   #25
A dreamer of pictures

Send a message via AIM to Nathanael Send a message via MSN to Nathanael
MALMSTEEN

Seriously, I'd say McLaughlin was my favorite, or Satriani.
Nathanael is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-21-2002, 04:03 PM   #26

Quote:
No, I didn't ask him - I read a quote in the CD booklet for one of BB's albums where he said something to the effect of, "I couldn't play rhythm guitar if my life depended on it." He was being serious, too.
-on the U2 Rattle and Hum movie, when he plays with the band, he and Edge are working out parts, and B.B. says something to the effect of "I need you (Edge) to play rhythm, I've never been to good with chords..."

Anyway...
My list of my favorite players:
Edge
Phil Keaggy
Robert Fripp
David Torn
Steve Howe
Paul Jackson Jr.
Jonny Greenwood
John McLaughlin
Andy Summers
Michael Landau
Eric Johnson
John Pettrucci
...and my list could probably go on a lot longer, but thats all I can think of at the moment...

I forgot my new "guitar hero:" BILL FRISELL!!!

Last edited by LWatford; 11-24-2002 at 10:18 AM.
LWatford is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-21-2002, 06:09 PM   #27

Since my main role as electric guitarist on the worship team is to play rhythm guitar 98% of the time, that's what I've been tuning into lately. Here are some rhythm guitarists whose work I admire.

Lindsey Buckingham -- Surprise, surprise, but actually his work with Fleetwood Mac shows a lot of rhythmic creativity.

The Edge -- I don't think he's ever played a conventional chord in his life.

Jimi Hendrix -- He's the master of the suspended 9th chord.

Bruce Conte (Tower of Power) -- He's got a nice light, funky touch

The unnamed guys on the old Motown records
everyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-21-2002, 08:05 PM   #28

how true

Quote:
Originally posted by everyman

Bruce Conte (Tower of Power) -- He's got a nice light, funky touch

You couldn't be more right. he's not to fancy, but very solid.
guitarzan21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-21-2002, 08:17 PM   #29
used to like punk a lot.

I'm with R2D2. He's right. And Brian Slusser, you're the best guitarist i've ever heard of, because I've never heard of anyone who could play all Creed songs after only five months on a guitar. When you become famous... remember the dude who first said that you're the best guitarist ever. (My name's David.)

Wow...I stand in awe. You are truely amazing. I think i'm gonna quit guitar, because it sounds you've got me and my lousy Jimi Hendrix beat by a long shot.

PunkRocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-21-2002, 08:25 PM   #30

Question???

Since this seems to be a touchy issue with people, I ask this question. What makes the best guitarists? Is it speed, is it how musical it is, is it the tone, etc.

I think when the question 'who is the best' is asked it has to be more specific. One person might be a shredder, another a rhythem guitarists. Personally I am first a classical guitarists, then a fingerstyle guitarists (the good fingerstyle, lawrence juber, don ross, etc) and lastly a jazz guitarists. So I might say John Williams, Don Ross and Joe Pass are the best guitarists. It is all a matter of preference and what your background is.
guitarzan21 is offline   Reply With Quote