Go Back   Christian Guitar Forum > Musicians > Guitar
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 01-02-2003, 08:34 PM   #121

Quote:
Originally posted by Jon Stripes
Fender has great guitars and basses, but I wouldn't trust them with much else. For pretty much everything I go to Carvin, though.
Yes I agree they do make great guitars. But heres were your wrong, you should trust them with just about everything!

Unread 01-02-2003, 10:26 PM   #122

Send a message via AIM to jarhead
Quote:
Originally posted by Dirt_Jumper
Dude, can you read? Did anyone say that LF INVENTED the ELE guitar?......I didn't think so. They said he MADE the first PRODUCTION ELE guitar. And have you ever played a tele for more than 15 minutes? I doubt you did because if you did then you would now that tele's have great sustain being a string-through body. And you actually think anyone is going to believe that tele's have poor clarity? PHE! Their tone is bright, crisp and is for sure clear.
Oh, btw, it was ignorant to say that ALL fender amps are crappy. How can thousands of artists be wrong? ANd fender amps are probably the best amps I've ever played. Especially the tube amps. They have excellent power, great clean tones and driving distorion. Go find an amp that has all that plus great built-in effects.

Adam
Quote:
Originally posted by gearup
Leo Fender invented the solid body guitar which happened top be the Telecaster. .
Yes someone did, I thought we agreed this was off topic tho. Yes I have played a tele for more than 15 minutes and I quite like them and am considering buying one, if you would read more than 2 posts back you would see me say that. Gearup said that no other guitar could give you the sustain and clarity that Jimmy (page) and Keith (Richards) got from tele's and I said that a Les Paul would most certainly match a tele's sustain and clarity easily. I never said that a tele has bad sustain or poor clarity I just said that it is unfair to say that it is the only guitar with good sustain and clarity.

Yes to say ALL Fender amps are bad is probably ignorant (unless someone has heard them all) but once again i assert that the guy who first posted that NEVER SAID THE WORD ALL. He generalized based on the ones he has heard and played and therefore his statement was not ignorant but based on his knowledge of fender amps, at least this is what I infer from his statement, however the statement is not mine to defend.

<a href="http://www.christianguitar.org/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=39206">wanna see some green hair??</a>
jarhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-02-2003, 10:48 PM   #123
Fender & Martin Guitars

Quote:
Originally posted by jarhead
Nothing really, sorry about getting off topic. It just kinda erks me when people say that Leo invented the electric guitar cause i think that takes away from Les Paul's role big time. Either way, It's off topic and I apologize.

I do not think we would be way off topic if we all would read. NOBODY in this thread said Leo made the first electric guitar, it was said that he introduced the first SOLID BODY guitar to the public. SOLID BODY. SOLID BODY. SOLID BODY. SOLID BODY. SOLID BODY. SOLID BODY. SOLID BODY. SOLID BODY. Hopefully you get the point. There were several hollow body models out long before the Telecaster, but NO solid body guitars. PLEASE TRY TO READ PROPERLY THIS TIME. Third time is a charm.

I am in no way diminishing Les Paul's roll in guitar BUT some are giving him WAY too much credit which he honestly does not deserve. Les will always be remembered for his accomplishments, but he would NEVER have gotten that far if not for the folks at Gibson. He was perhaps the biggest pusher of ELECTRIC guitar as far back as the 40's. He started guitar in 1927 with a guitar from Sears, Roebuck. He was a leader in guitar playing, and bringing the electric guitar to the forefront of music, but NOT as a designer or builder. His ENDORSMENT of the Les Paul guitar is ALL he had to do with the guitar itself. It was a Gibson design totally. Gibson Guitars deserves as ALL the credit for this design. Now as it turns out this guitar has become a pillar or rock, and blues, which is ironic in itself because Les Paul and everyone at Gibson were shooting for a jazz instrument. Lucky for us it worked out like it did. I like Les Pauls a lot, BUT what I was trying to say, very clearly I might add, was that it does not have the sustain and clarity LIKE a TELE. The Les Paul might have MORE, but that is NOT what I said. Its sustain and clarity are DIFFERENT, thats all. What I mean is that the TELE has a different character and if you want that sound then you need to use that guitar, which was my point all along.

The Telecaster was introduced to the public in 1950 as the Broadcaster and the name was soon changed to Telecaster. Its design has essentially remained unchanged to this day. A single pickup model called the Esquire was also produced. Leo went on to devolope the first electric BASS.

Gibson designed and introduced their first solid body guitar in 1952, the Les Paul. Elements of the Les Paul were derived from the company's archtop electric guitars. Soapbar pickups and trapeze tailpiece included. It has changed over the years, but only slightly. Oddly enough the design was considered outdated and was discontinued in 1960. Its popularity as a rock and blues guitar caused Gibson to reintroduce it in 1968.

Most likely the first, if not one of the first electric guitars was the Rickenbacker Electro Spanish. They pioneered the use of electromagnetic pickups in 1931, in their Frying Pan lap-steel instruments. Les Paul had nothing to do with this.

Les Paul did make an electric in the 1940's from a Gibson neck and an Epiphone acoustic body, BUT it was a semi-hollow body design. This is Les Paul's LOG guitar.

There was one solid body guitar that I know of, made before the TELE. The Bigsby Merle Travis, made in 1947, But it was hand made for country singer/guitar player Merle Travis by Paul Bigsby and never introduced to the public.

Hope this clears it up.

ALL this information is from a book, " THE COMPLETE GUITARIST" by Richard Chapman, with the forward written by LES PAUL.

I will try to stay on topic from now on. SORRY. I just felt very misunderstood. I will try to make mysylf more clear in the future.
If my people which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and forgive their sin, and heal their land.

Last edited by gearup; 01-02-2003 at 11:47 PM.
gearup is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-03-2003, 02:13 PM   #124

I hardly knew any of this stuff
Unread 01-03-2003, 10:47 PM   #125
Fender & Martin Guitars

All that said, I like strats about the same as teles. I might favor the strat more often because of its versatility, however rock and blues would never have gotten as far as it has without BOTH of these classic Fenders.
If my people which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and forgive their sin, and heal their land.
Unread 01-04-2003, 12:06 AM   #126

Quote:
I do not think we would be way off topic if we all would read. NOBODY in this thread said Leo made the first electric guitar, it was said that he introduced the first SOLID BODY guitar to the public. SOLID BODY. SOLID BODY. SOLID BODY. SOLID BODY. SOLID BODY. SOLID BODY. SOLID BODY. SOLID BODY. Hopefully you get the point. There were several hollow body models out long before the Telecaster, but NO solid body guitars. PLEASE TRY TO READ PROPERLY THIS TIME. Third time is a charm.
quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Leo Fender invented the solid body guitar which happened top be the Telecaster. .
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Invented the electric guitar, how does this not mean that he made the first electric guitar?? I would appreciate your reading properly as well. Nowhere in the above statement does it say anything about Leo Fender introducing the solid body to the public, it quite blatently states that he invented it, which he did not. Certainly he had a major role in it's invention but Les Paul, Rickenbacker and countless others had just as big a role. The log was a semi-solid guitar with a 4 inch chunk of wood in the middle with pickups on it. That 4 inch chunk of wood is the first solid body, the semi solid sidings were hinged on with metal brackets. All of this is quite off topic however and I would be more than glad to discuss the origins of the solid body electric with you in another thread if you like, or I would be more than happy to jointly agree with you that MANY great minds had a hand in inventing the Solid body and that Leo Fender was just one of those.

The whole Les Paul versus tele thing is also off topic and I would love for a new thread to be made about that, I might actually make one myself hmmmm.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Gearup said
I will try to stay on topic from now on. SORRY. I just felt very misunderstood. I will try to make mysylf more clear in the future.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

As will I and I also apologize for my off topic posting as well. I think you misinterpreted many of the things I posted so I suppose we are even. It's been a fun debate tho

I still like the tele more than the strat

<a href="http://www.christianguitar.org/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=39206">wanna see some green hair??</a>
Unread 01-04-2003, 08:26 PM   #127

Now im almost starting to favor the strat because of its looks. I guess Ill just have to go to guitar center and try them both out and see which one I like. But what I wanna know is what to look for in a guitar to me its tone, comfort, looks. But heres were im mixed up, the tele has the tone, and strat the looks and comfort. Help
Unread 01-04-2003, 08:33 PM   #128

Quote:
Originally posted by Guitarguru
Now im almost starting to favor the strat because of its looks. I guess Ill just have to go to guitar center and try them both out and see which one I like. But what I wanna know is what to look for in a guitar to me its tone, comfort, looks. But heres were im mixed up, the tele has the tone, and strat the looks and comfort. Help
I always thought tele's were quite comfortable, especially the new american's with the rolled over neck (not sure if that's on the cheaper models). I also prefer the look of the tele because I have seen so many strat and strat copies that they just look generic and bland, but that's just me. I would go with tone and comfort over looks tho.

Unread 01-04-2003, 09:00 PM   #129
Fender & Martin Guitars

Tone is kind of subjective. The two will sound great if used to their strengths.

1) the strat IMHO has the better neck pickup tone, but thet also depends on the body wood. I think Alder is the best wood for a strat body. Also those out of phase "woman tones" Eric Clapton called, really can only be found with a strat. IMHO the strat is the BEST dirty blues guitar there is.

2) the tele has the best bridge pickup sound IMHO. It has great "bite" and clarity. The Tele is the brighter of the two.
IMHO the tele is the BEST clean blues/rock guitar there is.

3) that only leaves one other rock/blues catagory, OVERDRIVEN hard rock, and I think the Les Paul edges the two Fenders out in this one, although the fat strat can wail, especially the hard tail, but the Paul is still king here.

I think both guitars are very well designed. Both look great, as they are classic shapes. You should concentrate on the style of music you play and then see which guitar best compliments that.
There is NO one "do-it-all" guitar out there. You will always find that there are certain things that every guitar will not be good for.

Good Luck
Unread 01-05-2003, 08:21 PM   #130

Quote:
Originally posted by jarhead
I always thought tele's were quite comfortable, especially the new american's with the rolled over neck (not sure if that's on the cheaper models). I also prefer the look of the tele because I have seen so many strat and strat copies that they just look generic and bland, but that's just me. I would go with tone and comfort over looks tho.
Well I don't prefer the looks of the tele but tone and comfort definatly come before looks.
Unread 01-05-2003, 08:32 PM   #131

Quote:
Tone is kind of subjective. The two will sound great if used to their strengths.

1) the strat IMHO has the better neck pickup tone, but thet also depends on the body wood. I think Alder is the best wood for a strat body. Also those out of phase "woman tones" Eric Clapton called, really can only be found with a strat. IMHO the strat is the BEST dirty blues guitar there is.

2) the tele has the best bridge pickup sound IMHO. It has great "bite" and clarity. The Tele is the brighter of the two.
IMHO the tele is the BEST clean blues/rock guitar there is.

3) that only leaves one other rock/blues catagory, OVERDRIVEN hard rock, and I think the Les Paul edges the two Fenders out in this one, although the fat strat can wail, especially the hard tail, but the Paul is still king here.

I think both guitars are very well designed. Both look great, as they are classic shapes. You should concentrate on the style of music you play and then see which guitar best compliments that.
There is NO one "do-it-all" guitar out there. You will always find that there are certain things that every guitar will not be good for.

Good Luck
Ok, first off what do you meen by "IMHO"?s

Now I use the bridge pickup a little bit more than the neck pickup but thats probably because I primaraly play lead. But then again I havn't played either fender standard strat or tele so Im not sure yet one what pickup I'll like for what.

As far as wood goes most fenders are alder

I play alot of different styles I guess that why its hard for me to figure which one
Unread 01-05-2003, 09:45 PM   #132

all this arguing cause I said fender guitar amps are crappy, all the fender electric guitar amps I have heard I have not liked, I like their acoustic amps, their electric guitar amps just don't satisfy me. sorry if I offended anybody by stating my opinion, I am a very opinionated person, that is one of my many problems.
TomfromIllinois is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-05-2003, 09:49 PM   #133

guitarguru, I would just save my money and buy a tele a strat and a les paul, then you could have a guitar for everything. problem solved, I have crazy ideas
Unread 01-05-2003, 09:56 PM   #134

Quote:
Originally posted by TomfromIllinois
guitarguru, I would just save my money and buy a tele a strat and a les paul, then you could have a guitar for everything. problem solved, I have crazy ideas
That's a very expensive endeavor that could take many moons to complete. I'd go with the Les Paul first since it's the most versatile, then your pick of the tele or the strat.

Unread 01-05-2003, 10:10 PM   #135

I would get a strat and put a hot rail in the bridge and the neck position and and a single coil in the middle and I would have a toggle switch for both hot rails so I could run them as a single coil or as the humbucker, and then re-wire the 5 position switch so I could do the les paul thing with the bridge and the neck pickup running at the same time. but I'm clinically insane so you should never listen to me.