Go Back   Christian Guitar Forum > Musicians > Guitar
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 12-12-2002, 01:07 AM   #61

Quote:
Originally posted by SmileAndFollow
Fender? Why in the world would you want one of those?
because they are good...:kstare:

GMartin2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Unread 12-12-2002, 09:38 AM   #62
Good Grief!!!

As I've said, I have a Fender Telecaster, Standard (Mexican-made) edition, and since I shielded it well with copper tape (probably within minutes or hours of leaving the store with it), I really have no complaints. Nice, hot ceramic pickups (I'm not quite yet into the subtleties of Alnico on the American models, but maybe someday) and an incredible tonal range. And only a Les Paul will sustain longer than a Tele, but mine is a string-through bridge, and so even sustain becomes debatable. What it really boils down to is the single-coil tone vs. humbucker tone and the quality of that tone in each case. I like both, but decided that the single-coil would be my first guitar, and later (when fundage comes) I will procure a LP-designed guitar.

If I were a true purist, I'd have a G&L ASAT. That's a real Fender Telecaster. But they cost a ton more than their Fender counterpart (and probably with some decent reasons). For a humbucker, I'll be going with The Heritage, which builds guitars in Kalamazoo, MI in the old Gibson factory, built by hand by old Gibson luthiers who refused to move to Nashville. IMO, those are the real Les Paul guitars, and just to think that they cost quite a bit less, on average, than today's Gibson-brand guitars...

Nate
nate95366 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-12-2002, 11:04 AM   #63
Banned

Send a message via AIM to emo_boy Send a message via Yahoo to emo_boy
Quote:
Originally posted by Guitarguru
Ok there tiger, 750 dollars is alot of money, especially when you don't have a job lol
I don't have a steady job (mowing lawns) and I don't think it's expensive. Not considering what you get. You get a guitar that will last a LONG time. And sound good for a LONG time.

Quote:
I disagree
Why? Lower end Ibanez necks tend to warp. They don't have as good of tone as fendr standards, thier pickups are worse and they don't feel as good.

Adam
emo_boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-12-2002, 11:23 AM   #64
Good Grief!!!

I have a steady job AND my wife has a steady job and I can tell you that $750 goes to buy groceries in our house. A $750 guitar-gear purchase is one that I have to take at the very least 1 year (sometimes more) of saving my "fun money" to make.

For those who aren't wealthy, I'd be willing to bet that the only ones of us who are able to plunk down $750 like "that" are ones of us who have our food, clothing, shelter, etc. paid for by someone else.

All this doesn't mean that I buy cheap junk when I go shopping. Just the opposite! I do a lot of hands-on research and I make sure that my money will be well-spent. It wasn't that difficult for me to decide that the TS-7 Tubescreamer (an overdrive pedal is the guitar purchase I've got in my sights right now) just isn't going to cut it for me, even though it's at least $60 cheaper than the other one's I've looked at. My ears could tell that it took away from clean tone, and that's that. Anyways, my point is that although $750 IS A BIG DEAL to me, moneywise, I won't put up with cheap junk. Instead, I really think about what I'm going to buy and then I evaluate what level of performance I can live with, and then I save up until I can buy that level of performance.

Nate

Nate

Last edited by nate95366; 12-12-2002 at 11:27 AM.
nate95366 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-12-2002, 04:28 PM   #65
MASTER JEDI

Send a message via AIM to element
I definitely think that the tele looks nicer, but that is just a style thing...
element is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-12-2002, 05:38 PM   #66
Banned

Quote:
Originally posted by nate95366
I have a steady job AND my wife has a steady job and I can tell you that $750 goes to buy groceries in our house. A $750 guitar-gear purchase is one that I have to take at the very least 1 year (sometimes more) of saving my "fun money" to make.

For those who aren't wealthy, I'd be willing to bet that the only ones of us who are able to plunk down $750 like "that" are ones of us who have our food, clothing, shelter, etc. paid for by someone else.

All this doesn't mean that I buy cheap junk when I go shopping. Just the opposite! I do a lot of hands-on research and I make sure that my money will be well-spent. It wasn't that difficult for me to decide that the TS-7 Tubescreamer (an overdrive pedal is the guitar purchase I've got in my sights right now) just isn't going to cut it for me, even though it's at least $60 cheaper than the other one's I've looked at. My ears could tell that it took away from clean tone, and that's that. Anyways, my point is that although $750 IS A BIG DEAL to me, moneywise, I won't put up with cheap junk. Instead, I really think about what I'm going to buy and then I evaluate what level of performance I can live with, and then I save up until I can buy that level of performance.

Nate

Nate
Ok, what I meant was that it wasn't expensive for a guitar. You pay more and you get more. I do think 750 is alot of money but 99% of the time when you pay $750 for a guitar, you get something that is going to give you at least $750 of playing.

Adam
Unread 12-12-2002, 07:31 PM   #67
Seinfeld Rocks!!

Send a message via AIM to GopherWood Send a message via Yahoo to GopherWood
I can't believe this.

People talking about how a Tele is heavy? Not even Les Paul's are heavy to me.

KYLE
Unread 12-12-2002, 07:52 PM   #68
Banned

Well, how long do you play them standing? I don't think a tele's heavy, but an LP, that's another story.

Adam
Unread 12-13-2002, 08:16 PM   #69

Quote:
Originally posted by Dirt_Jumper
I don't have a steady job (mowing lawns) and I don't think it's expensive. Not considering what you get. You get a guitar that will last a LONG time. And sound good for a LONG time.

Why? Lower end Ibanez necks tend to warp. They don't have as good of tone as fendr standards, thier pickups are worse and they don't feel as good.

Adam
I to mow one lawn, and ya it has its good pay. And I still think its expensive. But I also belive you should save your money in order to get something that will last a long time and you wont go out the next day.

Why, because I like Ibanez. They tend to warp, were did you hear this? Tone, well it depends on what kind of tone your looking for. Most Ibanez guitars dont have pickups they have humbuckers for that rockier, crispier tone. I probably wont buy one but I need a new guitar for next christmas (I have a squier affinity strat now and have had it for about 2 years lol). This year I'm going to be busy paying off the amp I just got.
Unread 12-13-2002, 11:34 PM   #70

Quote:
Originally posted by Guitarguru
Most Ibanez guitars dont have pickups they have humbuckers for that rockier, crispier tone.
you mean they don't have single coil pickups right? all electric guitars have to have pickups...
GMartin2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-14-2002, 01:41 PM   #71

BUY A P.R.S. THEY ROCK
TomfromIllinois is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-14-2002, 02:47 PM   #72

Send a message via AIM to jarhead
Quote:
Originally posted by TomfromIllinois
BUY A P.R.S. THEY ROCK
You paying for it??

<a href="http://www.christianguitar.org/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=39206">wanna see some green hair??</a>
jarhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-14-2002, 03:12 PM   #73
KY-58 (PHD)

Has anyone seen the Squire version of the Telecaster that has an arch-top, no pick guard and two humbuckers. I guess it is supposed to be a telecaster's take on a Les Paul. I haven't played it only seen it looking pretty in a store.
Unread 12-14-2002, 07:52 PM   #74

Quote:
Originally posted by GMartin2R
you mean they don't have single coil pickups right? all electric guitars have to have pickups...
ya
Unread 12-15-2002, 10:51 PM   #75

P.R.S. guitars aren't all that much, one of my friends got one new for like 400
TomfromIllinois is offline   Reply With Quote