Go Back   Christian Guitar Forum > Musicians > Guitar
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 11-07-2002, 07:36 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally posted by nate95366
"Trebley" in some sense has to do with single coil pickups. They're brighter and they cut through a mix without needing a lot of additional volume support. Of course, with a flick of the tone knob, most of this brightness can be disposed of. You can actually dial in some pretty mean growling tones on a Tele.....

About the only sound I can't get my Telecaster to do is what I call the "natural humbucker" sound. That would be the benefit of having a Strat, if one really wanted to stick with single-coils, because the way a Strat is wired makes it possible to at least explore the humbucker sound somewhat... All the rest - from "trebley" to "growly" are quite well within the realm of possibility of the Tele. Of course, being purely a player's guitar, the Tele tone is influenced very strongly by the way it's played.

Nate
ok but I still think the sound of a tele is way better than a strat

Unread 11-07-2002, 08:12 PM   #17

Send a message via AIM to jarhead
Get a tele, I hate strats. Are you dead set on getting something fender tho, epiphone's are better in that price range in my opinion.

<a href="http://www.christianguitar.org/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=39206">wanna see some green hair??</a>
jarhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-07-2002, 08:52 PM   #18

OK let me back myself up a bit for I have took a little bit of heat. There is no reason that I dislike tele's. My buddy who was once the rythm guitarist for my band played one and he sounded good on it. But I don't. My playing style fits strats better. I like the sound of strats and still think its more versitile, but you can do alot with a tele. There's a different sound and some people lik one and some like the other.

As for my comment about reliability. I should have been more clear. My buddy was playing on a tele that was quite old and the thing cut out all the time and the strings would break, as well as one strange occasion when he snapped the neck right off of the thing. I like fender strats, I used to have a mexican that I sold for my les paul (big mistake).

I think if you've played and compared a tele to a strat and you like the tele, go for it. But don't buy it for the fact that a fender strat is the cliche guitar, which is a reason why a lot of people buy it.

As for putting a strat neck on a tele. I have read about people doing it and from what I've heard it ruins the whole telecaster sound, but thats debatable. I'm sure its possible, but ask yourself if you really want to. I still stay by my statement that there is a reason the neck is like that.

Pay no attention to my dislike for the looks of a tele. I am a firm believer that you should never buy a guitar for its looks and that is not the reason why I don't like them. I happen to not like the way teles look, but the weight, the way i play and the versatility.

Ok sorry that if i ticked anyone off because of my dislike, its just a personal preference and if you like the tele, go for it.

Andrew
Unread 11-08-2002, 12:01 AM   #19

Send a message via MSN to Clayton
you know some of the old school third day blues hard rock was done on a tele don't worry about that unless your a metal head.
Unread 11-08-2002, 08:54 AM   #20
Good Grief!!!

You didn't tick anybody off (I don't think), but sometimes it's easier for us to understand someone if they come out with some possible reasons you don't like your bud's Tele before the end of the thread, especially since a lot of the reasons (i.e. it's been beat to heck) have nothing to do with its being a Telecaster...

I'll admit it: it's not a pretty guitar.

I guess I could say that I don't like PRS guitars because I've got a friend who's beat the heck out of his PRS and it looks terrible and is kind of unreliable (because he's beat the stuffing out of it with no maintainance). But really I've given you no reason to dislike PRS guitars, just reason to take care of yours once you get one...

Nate
nate95366 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-08-2002, 09:56 AM   #21
conquered

I think bonde Teles are gorgeous instruments. They are raw and unforgiving to sloppy players. I would suggest to at some point own both if you like both guitars.

Get the Tele first
mesabooger is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-08-2002, 08:45 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally posted by jedi817
There's a different sound and some people lik one and some like the other. * I totaly agree.

As for my comment about reliability. I should have been more clear. My buddy was playing on a tele that was quite old and the thing cut out all the time and the strings would break, as well as one strange occasion when he snapped the neck right off of the thing.

* How old was this thing?

I think if you've played and compared a tele to a strat and you like the tele, go for it. But don't buy it for the fact that a fender strat is the cliche guitar, which is a reason why a lot of people buy it.

*Right, always buy a guitar for its tone. Well at least I think so

As for putting a strat neck on a tele. I have read about people doing it and from what I've heard it ruins the whole telecaster sound, but thats debatable. I'm sure its possible, but ask yourself if you really want to. I still stay by my statement that there is a reason the neck is like that.

* Yup, couldnt agree with you more. I just thought it would be nice having a nicer looking headstock, but I'm just gonna except that now

Pay no attention to my dislike for the looks of a tele. I am a firm believer that you should never buy a guitar for its looks and that is not the reason why I don't like them. I happen to not like the way teles look, but the weight, the way i play and the versatility.

*Right, its not about the looks, its about the tone. No offense but you guys are acting like it weighs 100 pounds, I play my friends sometimes, and I didnt even notice a weight change.

Ok sorry that if i ticked anyone off because of my dislike, its just a personal preference and if you like the tele, go for it.

*No it didn't tick anyone off. Its just you needed to explain your self.

Andrew
Unread 11-09-2002, 01:14 AM   #23

The tele he was playing on was about four or five years old and as much as we hauled this thing around the entire east coast, its amazing that it kept up, especially being a mexican. This had also been his primary guitar. I never saw the guy playing anything else and he had a bunch of other guitars, he just liked this one too much to play any others. I was the same way about my strat before a sold it, the biggest mistake of my life. We both decided to get les pauls less than a year ago. The tele he was playing finnaly gave out and he knew he had to get a new guitar. So he sold what was left of that thing and I sold my strat and we got les pauls. So here we are now, both with les pauls, and we hate them. I can't stand this thing, I want my strat back, and him his tele. So now we're frantically trying to regain all the old equipment we sold to get these thousand and some dollar guitars which we can't stand. Unfortunetly neither of us want to sell them because we know as soon as we do, we're going to want or need them for something. So we're both saving up to buy americans, which should be in the next few months. I need a new amp because my fender got snatched in philly two months ago. We will go on playing used junk equipment untill our wallets grow a bit.

Thanks for understanding,

Andrew
Unread 11-09-2002, 04:08 PM   #24

Send a message via AIM to jarhead
:kshock: You hate a Les Paul. That's just wrong, Les Pauls are the best guitars. If you really hate it all that bad I'll take it off your hands

<a href="http://www.christianguitar.org/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=39206">wanna see some green hair??</a>
jarhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-09-2002, 07:48 PM   #25

cool story

Quote:
The tele he was playing on was about four or five years old and as much as we hauled this thing around the entire east coast, its amazing that it kept up, especially being a mexican. This had also been his primary guitar. I never saw the guy playing anything else and he had a bunch of other guitars, he just liked this one too much to play any others. I was the same way about my strat before a sold it, the biggest mistake of my life. We both decided to get les pauls less than a year ago. The tele he was playing finnaly gave out and he knew he had to get a new guitar. So he sold what was left of that thing and I sold my strat and we got les pauls. So here we are now, both with les pauls, and we hate them. I can't stand this thing, I want my strat back, and him his tele. So now we're frantically trying to regain all the old equipment we sold to get these thousand and some dollar guitars which we can't stand. Unfortunetly neither of us want to sell them because we know as soon as we do, we're going to want or need them for something. So we're both saving up to buy americans, which should be in the next few months. I need a new amp because my fender got snatched in philly two months ago. We will go on playing used junk equipment untill our wallets grow a bit.

Thanks for understanding,

Andrew
cool story
Unread 11-09-2002, 11:51 PM   #26

I like the sound of a strat ok, but there are some things that I just cringe at. One, slanted neck, just like a little tiny acoustic. Two, short neck, no more needs to be said. Three, high cutaway, this is mainly due to the fact of the shortage of frets.

Sound wise its good. I love it for some classic rock, blues, and especially metal, which my buddies into more so I end up playing it. He just hates it all around, he loved his tele more than he loves his fiancee I swear.

I like the sound but as far as versatility, which is very important in praise music, and playablility, I'll take my strat anyday.
Unread 11-10-2002, 08:10 PM   #27

Quote:
I like the sound but as far as versatility, which is very important in praise music, and playablility, I'll take my strat anyday.
we all have our diffrent opinions, and ill take the tele anyday
Unread 11-12-2002, 08:19 PM   #28

I just wanted to see peoples opinion I probably wont get one soon but maybe in a year or so
Unread 11-13-2002, 05:24 PM   #29
j00r m0m'5 l4m3r h@x0r

Send a message via AIM to nater
Re: ?

Quote:
Originally posted by Guitarguru
grated, trebley, no sonic variety? explain... then tell me what style of music you prefer
By "grate" i mean that it kind of annoyed me after awhile...the no sonic variety means that the two single coil pickups didn't off ther variety of tones that i was looking for....as for the style of music i play, mostly blues rock...however the comments i've made about the sonic variety are just my opinion...
nater is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-13-2002, 09:38 PM   #30
Skynyrd Gomer

Send a message via AIM to lespaul59 Send a message via Yahoo to lespaul59
What kind of music do you play, cause a strat works for almost all types of mussic but a tele fit aabout half of what a strat does.
lespaul59 is offline   Reply With Quote