Go Back   Christian Guitar Forum > Musicians > Vocals & Other Instruments
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 07-15-2001, 09:18 PM   #1
Third Day +Guitars 4-ever

PLEASE help and see if you can answer this..

Okay..I have a serious question. I love to sing, and people compliment me on my voice all the time..but, I can't tell if it's my real voice or if I'm always singing falsetto. I can only "feel it in my stomach" sometimes, and it's not very loud..now, I can change it as I go lower and go into more of a talk-sing...and it's not as pretty, but it's loud..but I still can't "feel it in my stomach" and I'm REALLY confused. So..with that information, can anyone help???????
~Ashley~

RKChick is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Unread 07-15-2001, 09:30 PM   #2

Send a message via AIM to smoothguy53
Talking LOL

i know how u feel.....i sing in church but i can never tell if i'm a good singer or i'm imagining it......people compliment me too.....just go with it i guess is the advice i have
smoothguy53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-25-2001, 06:16 PM   #3

hey rkchick,
do you know who Julia Childs is?... if not, this may be hard for you , but if you fake her voice ( the way she speaks) and say Chicken soup.. rounded out kinda like a siren.. (i know this sounds stupid..lol) you should pretty much be able to feel where your placement is...
which should be in the bottom of your throat where your vocal cords are..
your breath comes from your diaphragm (stomach) and supports the voice itself..( your breath is the frame and your voice is like the paint on a canvas) do breathing excercises ( lots of tips all over this posting category..read them all and practice) and you'll strengthen your diaphragm which will give you more volume and make your voice richer..

hope these tips help..on one of the other posts here i've written out some actual excercises that my voice teacher has given me.. this stuff sound so silly to do ..but it really makes a difference.. everyone has noticed improvement in my voice.. ( not that that's saying much..lol)

Good Luck and rememeber your'e singing for God ..it's all good

(p.s. if you don't know who Julia Childs is ask your mom or another female in their 30's or 40's..she's a tv cooking show host.)

Last edited by nevr2old; 07-25-2001 at 06:21 PM.
nevr2old is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-26-2001, 07:06 AM   #4

Send a message via AIM to zebco11 Send a message via Yahoo to zebco11
girls and guys

I'm assuming your a girl rxchick

Girls if they do have falsetto is different than guys I don't think i've ever heard a woman sing in falsetto So your probably not sing in it.

I've heard loud falsettos and quite natural voice so i don't think the loudness is determined by your range. Of course the natural law says low is higher. If you have a high "soprano" voice It takes a lot of deep breathing and support to make it wail. What do you mean by feeling it in your stomach. I dont quite understand.

jm
zebco11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-29-2001, 03:53 PM   #5

Send a message via AIM to thesteve
Ok...just a question...do you have an alto voice? One of my friends does and when she goes lower it gets into the "talk-sing" style, but for some songs it actually sounds more soulfull. Anywho...I don't know alot about singing....basically just practice and make sure you're staying within your range.

I'm a podcaster
thesteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-29-2001, 04:55 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally posted by dudedude2
Ok...just a question...do you have an alto voice? One of my friends does and when she goes lower it gets into the "talk-sing" style, but for some songs it actually sounds more soulfull. Anywho...I don't know alot about singing....basically just practice and make sure you're staying within your range.
yes as a matter of fact I am an alto. That's what I'm talking about right there actually....thanks to all of you!! I really appreciate this!

"Guitars RULE!" --Me--
I love Third Day, and that's all you ever need know..
Unread 07-29-2001, 10:48 PM   #7

Ok...Hrmm...Well I'm a guitarist...prolly more of a baritone or bass. I wish I could help you more (cause alto sounds sweet with guitar, at least my friend's did) but I can't really hear your voice or anything. sorry.

I'm a podcaster
Unread 07-30-2001, 07:35 PM   #8

If I can figure it out, I'm going to try to get a clip of myself singing and put it on here..I have a mic..so I may get something on here sometime

"Guitars RULE!" --Me--
I love Third Day, and that's all you ever need know..
Unread 09-07-2001, 10:36 AM   #9
Preggers with Baby # 2!!

Send a message via AIM to Singin4Him82 Send a message via MSN to Singin4Him82
Well, I think someone tried to explain this to you but to me it sounded a little confusing the way they explained it especially if you have no idea what they mean. So here's something simple that will help. When you sing dont take shallow breaths, the kind that make your shoulders go up but instead take deep breaths where you can feel your stomach expand. When you do that think about how it feels to do crunches(if you can't think about it do a few to remind yourself *hehe*) and when you take those deep breaths try to use your diaphragm meaning try to make it feel like it feels when your holding a crunch. It's kinda hard work at first but you get used to it. So if you're taking deep breaths but you don't feel it in your stomach like that then you're doing something wrong so just try this. I was taught this about a year ago and it's improved my singing very much. I hope it helps you out good luck!

Singin4Him82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-10-2001, 04:02 PM   #10
Not a Mod

Send a message via AIM to jmlouie
Do this CRAZY thing, I think it will work

This sounds crazy, but when I was in chior at school we had a guest director come in and tell us to pinch our noses when we sing to make sure we are using our head voice.

I just tried it out and it will determine if you are singing falsetto or not. Pinch your nose and sing, if you start sounding kind of like a chipmunk you are either singing falsetto or not using your head voice. I think physically it has something to do with the very back of the top of the pallet in the mouth. It needs to remain loose and open.

By using your head voice your voice will resonate in your head and your tone will be fuller.

Here are some tips that I find helpful for me to remember to sing well

Some tips:
-make sure you open your mouth
-don't tighten your neck
-don't tip your head back ever: this will thin out the tone like crazy
-also on females my choir director always told them to watch the vibrato since it naturally kicks in for female voices: this keeps it in check and prevents you from sounding old school
jmlouie is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-10-2001, 04:32 PM   #11
Preggers with Baby # 2!!

Send a message via AIM to Singin4Him82 Send a message via MSN to Singin4Him82
One thing....GIRLS DON'T SING FALESTTO *clearing throat* ok now that that's off my chest *hehe* . Good advice though everyone!!
Singin4Him82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-03-2001, 05:50 PM   #12

what is falsetto?

<marquee scrollamount="2" direction="right"> Two people can't hate each other if they both love God.</marquee>
watermelon is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-03-2001, 05:53 PM   #13

i'm sure someone will explain it better than me, but falsetto is basically when you hit a note that's an octave or more higher than your normal range, but you can't hit all the intermediate notes. Listen to Ben Folds Five's "Brick" for what I believe is a good example of falsetto on the part where he sings "She's a brick and I'm drowning slowly"...the sylable "brick" is falsetto

I'm a podcaster
Unread 11-03-2001, 06:10 PM   #14
Not a Mod

Send a message via AIM to jmlouie
Falsetto is when you only use one side of the vocal chords. What happens is that one side stays shut while the other side does the movement. This lets you reach higher regesters.

And I found out girls DO have falsetto, but I don't think it is ever called that. Since falsetto is a physical thing, women vocalist can do it, but it is also reffered to as head voice.
jmlouie is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-04-2001, 07:15 PM   #15
Be a Kumquat!

Send a message via ICQ to pinkangelkitty Send a message via AIM to pinkangelkitty
um....ok then just sing the way you do, um i don't get why u think falsetto is a bad thing but ok.