Gibson Les Pauls RULE!!! 31 44.93%
Fender Stratocastors RULE!!! 19 27.54%
Both of them are GREAT (or horrible)!!! 19 27.54%
Voters: 69. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 10-04-2002, 09:27 AM   #76

Send a message via AIM to thesteve
is that what the third knob is?
Whenever I played a strat, I could never get the third knob to actually do anything. It may very well be two tone controls and a volume control.

I'm a podcaster
thesteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Unread 10-04-2002, 05:02 PM   #77
Guy

1 for neck pup, 1 for bridge pup.
Unread 10-04-2002, 05:04 PM   #78
Guitar geek

Send a message via AIM to BowoW
it is 2 tone controls (Though I'd rather have 2 volume )

Telecasters and Stratocasters are definitely both awesome guitars worth trying out, but I always favored strats more

Why ARE teles getting popular in the whole rock-area..? That was the ONE guitar I thought would never have to do with rock.. er. or anything IMPORTANT with rock

-jamie

"I am a man who has told you the truth which I heard from God.. But because I speak the truth, you don't believe me" - John 8:40;45
BowoW is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-04-2002, 07:06 PM   #79

I'm guessing it's because they're plug-play and shred style guitars...not many knobs and switches to play with as compared to strats and LPs

I'm a podcaster
Unread 10-04-2002, 07:15 PM   #80

Send a message via AIM to jarhead
Tele's are getting popular in rock because i like them Ok, not really but I think they have always been somewhat popular in rock, I mean Jimmy page had one, Eric Burton had one, umm other people too.

<a href="http://www.christianguitar.org/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=39206">wanna see some green hair??</a>
jarhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-04-2002, 08:13 PM   #81
Guy

Teles are butt ugly but they are comfortable to me.
I think Jeff Beck played one.
Unread 10-04-2002, 08:17 PM   #82

Send a message via AIM to jarhead
I kinda like the way tele's look, especially old worn out ones. They have a rugged rock n roll look to em, anyone ever seen Steven Mason's (Jars Of Clay) tele?? That's the kind I'm talking about.

<a href="http://www.christianguitar.org/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=39206">wanna see some green hair??</a>
jarhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-04-2002, 11:41 PM   #83
carlybish.com

Quote:
Originally posted by jarhead
I kinda like the way tele's look, especially old worn out ones. They have a rugged rock n roll look to em, anyone ever seen Steven Mason's (Jars Of Clay) tele?? That's the kind I'm talking about.
Yeah. I kinda like the way they look too. Like I said before, it's nice to look at something that doesn't have the ever-so-common strat shape... Whether it be an fender strat or a strat rip-off. The look becomes tiresome after a while. My favorite part of a tele would be the head. I'm not sure as to why yet... but I'm narrowing down my reasons... hmm...
Unread 10-05-2002, 12:01 AM   #84

the only style of tele i even remotely like is the 50's style one with the natural finish. like SCC's. that is the only tele style that i even remotely like.
GMartin2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-05-2002, 06:18 AM   #85
Most Likely Not to Budge

The only Tele I'd ever buy is this one:

Unread 10-05-2002, 06:49 AM   #86
Guitar geek

I guuuuess... but even then, I don't understand how Jimmy Page would use a tele over the double-necked sg

-jamie

"I am a man who has told you the truth which I heard from God.. But because I speak the truth, you don't believe me" - John 8:40;45
Unread 10-05-2002, 06:51 AM   #87
Guitar geek

lol.. that post didn't fit in.. I thought the second page was the last one so.. yadaya...

Wow.. that IS a sweet tele Superman... I also like that Tele with that strat pickup with the tele pickups, .. I forget what it's called but it's like 600ish.

-jamie

Unread 10-05-2002, 11:28 AM   #88

The Nashville Deluxe?

I'm a podcaster
Unread 10-05-2002, 12:39 PM   #89
My famlily

Quote:
Originally posted by BowoW
I guuuuess... but even then, I don't understand how Jimmy Page would use a tele over the double-necked sg

-jamie
Just a side note about Page's use of the double-neck 6/12 guitar. He mainly used it in live situations where it would be easier to play one guitar, then have to switch guitars in the middle of a song, ie: Stairway to Heaven. Also in the movie he uses it for The Song Remains the Same and The Rain Song. These two songs Zeppelin always played one right after the other. Visually it was pretty cool to watch him play it as well.
Unread 10-06-2002, 03:05 PM   #90
Good Grief!!!

I'm not sure why lots of "popular" rocksters are playing Teles today, and I'm not sure it really matters that much. After all, tomorrow, they'll be the "has beens" anyway. The reason I like Telecaster guitars is because they're a guitar player's guitar. You don't have to have a degree in electrical engineering to know which pickups are functioning and to what degree, you just PLAY the thing. Not that Strats or Les Pauls are that horribly complicated, but I've seen people modify strats until they were way too complicated... Anyway, the lack of complexity really allows a player's emotions to shine through in a unique way IMO. Just look at Bruce Springsteen sometime...

Oh, and for Superman....I love the Thinline Tele too, but it certainly wouldn't be the only one I'd buy, even though I have a strong affinity for seeing the natural woodgrain through the finish (no thick-painted guitars for me...). I've also found that the solid-plankers have better sustain. Of course, they'll throw your back out a bit quicker than the thinline too, but either one would be super-light for someone who owns a LP. :kgrin:

Nate

Nate
nate95366 is offline   Reply With Quote