Go Back   Christian Guitar Forum > Musicians > Vocals & Other Instruments
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 08-12-2002, 04:26 PM   #1
Sophomore Member

How can I extend my vocal range?

hey, I need help extending my range higher, does anyone know any effective ways to do that? thanx a bunch

baž_freak_13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Unread 08-13-2002, 04:21 PM   #2

Send a message via AIM to OddBall Send a message via Yahoo to OddBall
I don't know if this is technically right, but I would keep saying "la" or some other small word and go higher and higher on the scale. I got going really high when I did that. The more I did that the better it sounded, also. I'd contact a vocal teacher to make sure that isn't harmful to your vocal chords first, though.

Being conjested doesn't help either, so drink plenty of water to clear your throat, and try to stay healthy if possible.
OddBall is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-13-2002, 07:31 PM   #3
user, microphone abuser.

Hmm, expanding your range isn't something that can be done over night. It's definitley possible over time though. I'm a natural 2nd soprano, but I've wanted to be able to sing Alto notes, so I've found that the best way to do it is just to gradually expose yourself to the notes you want to reach. Practice with a song that's slightly lower/higher (whichever you want) than your normal range. I practiced with Jennifer Knapp's music to develop my lower range, for example. As far as developing a higher range, it's not really healthy to jump right into these Mariah-Carey-super-screeching notes. You'll only end up with a sore throat. :P Just don't kill yourself trying to develop it, kind of baby your voice into it.
Ex. 33:18
FarawaySoClose is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-14-2002, 04:06 AM   #4
nix

Awesome points given so far.... scales are good, the more you practise the better singer you will become. also if you use your diaphragm the correct way I bet you will gain a wider range... plus if you sing almost at the back of your throat for the higher notes and yet for the lower notes get the higer resonance working in the nasal cavities behind your nose...make sence?

Lol....... probally not, but scales and practising to songs that aren't in your normal range are awsome too!!!

NIX
nix is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-14-2002, 08:30 AM   #5
is Your Mom

If I have a relatively low voice, is it possible to develop a twangy nasal singing voice like Garth Brooks?
Yojimbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-15-2002, 12:37 AM   #6
nix

Yeah...by using higher resonance in the cavity behind the nose or in the head area......when you "hummm" it should vibrate in those areas.

NIX

P.S sing forward rather than back in you mouth then.
Unread 08-15-2002, 01:03 AM   #7

Send a message via AIM to BandGuru01
You're in luck, I just happen to be a vocal education major and have had some wondeful teachers that helped me with technique.

First, Garth Brooks does NOT have a twangy voice!!! Clay Walker sure does!

resonnance was mentioned...this is gained partly by keeping your soft pallet raised. The soft pallet is the soft area in the back of the roof of your mouth...if you move your toungue along the roof of your mouth and go back...when it gets squishy, haha, you've found it. keeping it raised while singing will create more space and will open up passages.

Do NOT turtle-neck...sticking out your head when trying to sing high notes..this cuts off your wind pipe's efficiency by stretching it. example, if you bend a straw it won't be as easy to get things through it.

keep your tongue down and flat as you can, couple this with a raise pallet and look in the mirror, you might be surprised how big your mouth is (not an insult, really! ) Also, try and keep your adams apple down and breath as though your air is filling your pockets...from which you should support your voice, in the abdominal/pelvic area. keep your chest up and open (if that makes sense) not like a muscle builder but don't let it just sit lazily. shoulders back and down. stand up strait. stand with your back agains a wall with the back of your head touching the wall...that always helped me. and don't let your head leave the wall when you get higher.

technically people can sing as high as they wish....technically! as for actualy use, there is pretty much a line you can get to though, and not really much higher.

yell 'hey!' from as low in your body as you can, not like a scream, but a nice low stern voice with umff. this will help you feel the muscles in your mid section that should be used for support.

when doing scales try this...maybe I can try to explain other exercises sometime. pick a voul sound, E (as in elephant) for example, and sing up a scale, 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 (and instead of going back down, go up one more note then down) 9 (aka 2) 8 7 6 5 4 3 2 1. Don't try to force the higher notes out, let them just come out of the top of your head, nice and floaty. think relaxed and easy. Do not tense up your upper body (or any part for that matter) as doing so will just kill your high range. My vocal teacher at college has me 'mix' as I get into the middle of my low and high ranges, (pasagio if that's spelled right?!) which means bringing in the corners of my mouth a little as i go higher...yes this will put a slightly different sound to the voul, but it works, and in actual performance no one will probably know.

as for extending low range....just relax and stay open. that's basically all one can do. Lesson over students! Read chapter four in your text books for next week and be ready for a quiz!
it be throught repentance and faith on
the Lord Jesus Christ."--Mosiah 1:108
BandGuru01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-15-2002, 04:04 AM   #8
nix

EXCELLENT ADVICE!!!!!

That all that I'm learning at the moment

NIX
Unread 08-15-2002, 07:37 AM   #9
is Your Mom

I heard that singing while lying on your back was good. Is this true?
Yojimbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-16-2002, 02:10 AM   #10

Send a message via AIM to BandGuru01
Quote:
Originally posted by Goodness
I heard that singing while lying on your back was good. Is this true?
well....not that I know of. I don't think it would be harmful but you wouldn't have the same support. even when sitting you don't get quite the same support as you do standing up...though if you sit properly you can still have a good support. here is a bit of imiagery...hold yourself, if you are standing, to where the back of your head, your spine, and your legs make a strait line perpendicular to the ground. if you are sitting, the strait line should be from your head down through your spine.

give me my teaching certificate now! haha...nah, I have plenty to learn. later!
it be throught repentance and faith on
the Lord Jesus Christ."--Mosiah 1:108
BandGuru01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-11-2002, 08:19 PM   #11
workhardworkharder

Send a message via AIM to Scott Send a message via MSN to Scott
Quote:
That all that I'm learning at the moment
Likewise, it's hard work....

And the lying on the back thing, there is really no point in practicing like that, since you have to sing standing up. Practice like that.

127.0.0.1, sweet 127.0.0.1
Scott is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-21-2002, 11:31 AM   #12
Banned

Send a message via Yahoo to ericclemmons
I've been expanding my range (and it works!) by singing the same song everyday. But there's more to it than that.

I sang "Breathe" (everybody knows it) and recorded myself @ the same time. I play guitar, so this is why it works...

Anyways, i play Breathe (C, this is the, F, air i breathe, etc.)..
THen after completing the chorus, i do a 1/2 step key change...Sing the chorus again...Once i feel comfortable, keeping going up and up. I'm actually suprised that i could go to a Bb (on the E string of the guitar) for my highest note.

Also, i practice singing FOREVER from Marty Sampson (United Live-BEST FRIEND from the HIllsong Collection). The singer goes up to an A, which is good practice.

WHOOP!
ericclemmons is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-25-2002, 09:19 AM   #13
Preggers with Baby # 2!!

Send a message via AIM to Singin4Him82 Send a message via MSN to Singin4Him82
Quote:
Originally posted by FarawaySoClose
I've found that the best way to do it is just to gradually expose yourself to the notes you want to reach. Practice with a song that's slightly lower/higher (whichever you want) than your normal range. I practiced with Jennifer Knapp's music to develop my lower range, for example. As far as developing a higher range, it's not really healthy to jump right into these Mariah-Carey-super-screeching notes. You'll only end up with a sore throat. :P Just don't kill yourself trying to develop it, kind of baby your voice into it.
If it works and it's working the right way that's great but it can be dangerous to do this esp with people like Jennifer Knapp and Mariah Carey because neither girls sing the right way and they both do very bad very dangerous things with their voice. It's a lot easier to take on bad habits when trying to sound like someone else. Just be gentle and sing very mellow easy songs and exercise your vocal range with simple scales. If you can afford vocal lessons I'd HIGHLY suggest that because that's the one sure way to extend your range safely. One thing to remember is, if it hurts when you're done stop doing it.

Singin4Him82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-10-2002, 09:46 PM   #14
Once A Number One Poster

Send a message via AIM to froggee501
I think the idea of singing on your back came about from learning proper breathing technique... When I took singing lessons (long time ago!), my teacher had me lay on my back, to demonstrate how the stomach rises when you breathe on your back, and that that was how one should breathe. Don't breathe with your shoulders, breathe with your belly. I think someone decided that if breathing on your bafck was good, then singing on your back must be good too.
froggee501 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-11-2002, 11:38 AM   #15

David Phelps is a great model for any guys that want to increase their range. He is an incredible tenor, he does solo stuff and he also sings with the Gaither Vocal Band (you know, THE Bill Gaither (oh, and Bill was my neighbor for about 6 years.)). Anyway get some of Davids CD's. I saw him in concert he is amazing.

tylerbaby65
-On label of a Lipton Iced Tea Bottle
tylerbaby65 is offline   Reply With Quote