Go Back   Christian Guitar Forum > Musicians > Vocals & Other Instruments
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 06-19-2003, 07:25 PM   #31
ED! stop eating the cat!

Send a message via MSN to sanzi
David Phelps?? I've only heard him once, but holy crapola, I've never heard a man sing so high!!!!

Unread 06-19-2003, 07:38 PM   #32
seeking God

Quote:
Originally Posted by F.U.E.L(1)
As has been said before, placement and support. When I started I had a range from about D two octaves below mid-C up to about E above mid-C. That was when I was fully warmed up. After months of hard work I learned what support was and gained F-F#&G. When I learned how to use head voice(feels like it is in your forehead) I gained G#-A-A#&sometimes B- In full voice. About B-C it goes into falcetto. And that's pretty good for a Bass/Baritone. Just today I got my placement so perfect(relatively speaking) that I held a D at full blast(it was almost hurting <u>my</u> ears) for what must have been nearly 25 seconds, and I hadn't even taken a full breath. I also didn't hold it as long as I possibly could. Not only that, it was free, painless, clear, full(almost Pavoratti'ish), unstrained and with a natural vibratto. All this is not to be boastful(except maybe to say that my teacher is awsome) but to illustrate how much one can improve. The only down side is that you really have to have a good teacher to really get it right.

In Him,
Stephen J.
that makes me sick. i'm a tenor, because i have no low range, and you have a stronger upper voice than me. grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr.
on the brightside, using falsetto, i can sing higher than the altos. no i'm not a contra.
sounds like you have a great voice.
Unread 06-22-2003, 05:19 PM   #33
so black & white

Send a message via MSN to Swanky
http://www.caitlynsmith.com/html/listen.html

caitlyn smith is a good friend of mine.. she has a naturally wide vocal range.. try singing along to some of her songs.. and shoot up some prayers for the new album she's recording this summer.
Swanky is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-26-2003, 08:18 PM   #34
I was homeschooled!

i'd love to extend my voice range. God's given me this bassey voice (i can go down, starting from middle c, nearly 2 octaves). ok, I don't really like singing bass. specially if you wanna lead worship I have been practicing on my own though, (been trying to sing with Martin smith on his CDs ) and without going falsetto, can reach two whole notes after middle C, but that's really stretching it.

Here's my question, do you think if i take lessons, it's likely i can increase my range another note or 2? boy, if i could go 2 more notes higher that would tickle me pink I'd work really hard too!! or is that probably an impossibility?

I've never taken voice lessons, cept a little advice here and there. so anyhow, i'm just curious. my question probably is an unanswerable one..but hey, maybe not!

God bless
~Clay
Unread 06-28-2003, 01:56 PM   #35
ED! stop eating the cat!

Send a message via MSN to sanzi
It is answerable, and it is possible to do too. You could do it on your own if you had the means and practiced enough. The rules of extending ones range is essentially identical from one person to the next though, so really just take the advice that the other people here have given and you'll have yourself singin tenor in a while!!
Unread 08-15-2003, 09:01 PM   #36

I'm not sure if this is the right fourm for this question, but here goes...
What would be the best Key to play/sing songs in for a group of High schoolers, many of whom are experiencing changes in vocal range?
Thanks
Jacob
Jacob_Duhm is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-17-2003, 02:00 PM   #37
seeking God

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacob_Duhm
I'm not sure if this is the right fourm for this question, but here goes...
What would be the best Key to play/sing songs in for a group of High schoolers, many of whom are experiencing changes in vocal range?
Thanks
Jacob
don't think about key as much as how high the melody goes.
i personally use the Rule of C. if the song goes over a middle C(for the guys) on the melody more than a couple times, its a good idea to take it down a step or so.
best way to figure out how high a song goes is just sing through it and when you get to a high part, figure out what that note is on a piano or guitar.

an on the fly trick i use is, if i, being a mediumly high tenor, can't harmonize a third above the melody, its too high for the average person to sing.

another thing to keep in mind is what time of the day the singing occurs. people sing higher at night than they do in the morning.
for example, when my worship team plays "famous one" on sunday mornings, we play it in E or F
when we play it on wednesday nights, we play it in G.

hope it helps,
David
Unread 08-26-2003, 08:22 PM   #38
I Play and Sing For Him!

so what does jennifer knapp do wrong in her singing?
Unread 08-27-2003, 02:32 PM   #39
seeking God

to my ears, jennifer knapp strains alot.
maybe for her this is not a problem, her voice might be exceptionally strong, but the pithole is for people that try to emulate that sound.

girls will try to sound like her, and strain their voice instead of using air support like they should. i know a girl from my choir has done this for years, and now shes having alot of vocal problems, and she just graduated from high school.

so is jennifer knapp singing incorrectly? i wouldn't doubt it, but i bet she has fairly decent technique since she's still singing. i just really wouldn't recomend younger girls listen to her for how to sing, because in trying to emulate her sound, they'll sing wrong for sure.
Unread 08-28-2003, 09:29 PM   #40
seeking God

Quote:
Originally Posted by baß_freak_13
hey, I need help extending my range higher, does anyone know any effective ways to do that? thanx a bunch

try castration.
Unread 09-04-2003, 12:51 PM   #41

Send a message via Yahoo to pcw62656
Exclamation

Jennifer Knapp and Mariah Carey, are forcing their voices up with practically no breath support. That can cause a singer (as my vocal coach says) to "blow out!" Which means, permanently damage the vocal chords. Another dangerous risk they face is causing a blood vessel to burst on their vocal chords. Just take a lesson from Kelly Clarkson (American Idol Winner 1). She has to have surgery to recover some of her voice after "blowing" her voice out on tour.

Another thing I want to mention is this. It isn't easy to expand your range. I am trying my hardest. Some people, it is just impossible. But during warm ups, try lowering your voice first (5, 4, 3, 2, 1.) Start by going to the middle range (like middle C). Try sinigng 5, 4, 3, 2, 1. Then go a half step lower, and sing again. Keep it up until you can complete the last lowest set you can. Then, go back to middle C, and sing 5, 4, 3, 2, 1. After that, go a step higher. Keep that up until you have completed the last highest set you possibly can. Do this with all the vowel sounds. Always warm-up for about a half hour before you practice singing. Do this 3-5 times daily. You will notice a significant change. If you don't warm up, then you won't sound good, and you definitely will strain!

Always open your mouth when singing vowel sounds. Your mouth should be open at least so you can fit your first two fingers vertically between your top set of teeth and your bottom set of teeth.

Those are some techniques that help me.
pcw62656 is offline   Reply With Quote