Go Back   Christian Guitar Forum > Musicians > Vocals & Other Instruments
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 11-11-2002, 11:40 AM   #16

David Phelps is a great model for any guys that want to increase their range. He is an incredible tenor, he does solo stuff and he also sings with the Gaither Vocal Band (you know, THE Bill Gaither (oh, and Bill was my neighbor for about 6 years.)). Anyway get some of Davids CD's. I saw him in concert he is amazing.

tylerbaby65

I attached one of David's songs "No More Night." Great song overall but listen to the last 1min. and 30sec. of it he goes extremely high. I think that the last note he hits is a High A flat. But I'm not totally sure.

-On label of a Lipton Iced Tea Bottle
tylerbaby65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Unread 11-11-2002, 11:45 AM   #17

David Phelps is a great model for any guys that want to increase their range. He is an incredible tenor, he does solo stuff and he also sings with the Gaither Vocal Band (you know, THE Bill Gaither (oh, and Bill was my neighbor for about 6 years.)). Anyway get some of Davids CD's. I saw him in concert he is amazing.

tylerbaby65

I attached one of David's songs "No More Night." Great song overall but listen to the last 1min. and 30sec. of it he goes extremely high. I think that the last note he hits is a High A flat. But I'm not totally sure.
Unread 11-11-2002, 11:46 AM   #18

tylerbaby65

One of David's songs is "No More Night." Great song overall but listen to the last 1min. and 30sec. of it he goes extremely high. I think that the last note he hits is a High A flat. But I'm not totally sure.
Unread 11-11-2002, 11:48 AM   #19

sorry about all the posts my computer was being stupid.

tylerbaby65
Unread 11-17-2002, 11:01 AM   #20

I was a bass my freshamn year in high school now as a senior I sing some tenor parts I never would have dreamed. I increase my range by standing straight up with shoulders back but relaxed, breathing from the abdomen I sing. To get higher use more air and more support. Oh and another note that has no real logical proof, but don't close your eyes when you sing, people tend to go slightly flat or sharp.:kblush Also what was said ealier in the thread is true just keep practicing higher and higher parts. Eventually you'll notice that your range has improved. Slight after thought don't neglect parts in your current range as you will lose range in those areas if you don't practice them as well.
mav13tn is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-19-2002, 12:55 PM   #21
Secret Agent Person

Send a message via AIM to selfsame singer
Well here's what worked for me, I would sing along to my cds. At first it was hard, but it kept getting easier and easier to sing along to them. Your larynx(sp?) is a muscel and like every other muscel in your body, it needs exercise. If you never sing, you wouln't be able to. You know what I'm saying?

THEFREAKLOSERDORKWANNABEES

Weez beez the nu kids on da street.
selfsame singer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-09-2002, 08:07 PM   #22

Location: home! for christmas break! yeah for no school! yeah for no more finals! yeah for making mommy and daddy take care of their poor college student! yeah!
if you are still in school... (and in choir) use the warm-ups your teacher does...every day....seriously, the more you do it, the more you will be able to sing.

I do the warmups from high school choir everyday...if I stop for a while, I lose those upper notes...and I am an Alto II and those upper notes are hard enough anyways...

*I have a very nice stepladder. I love it, but it is sad that I never knew my real ladder
deedeeshell is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-09-2002, 09:39 PM   #23

If you want to learn to extend your range, learn different styles of singing (including country twang), etc... get Brett Manning's Singing Success course. (www.singingsuccess.com) It's expensive (about $200), but it's worth every penny and cheaper than months of lessons.

His methods work (I'm finally learning to sing), and you don't strain your voice. In one of the simple beginning excercises for learning to connect your chest voice and head voice, Brett has you make a loose-lipped "pppbbbbbbb" sound similar to tongue-stuck-out noise. With this technique there is no strain on the vocal chords and you can effortlessly transition from chest to head.
BluesJunkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-09-2002, 10:01 PM   #24

Location: home! for christmas break! yeah for no school! yeah for no more finals! yeah for making mommy and daddy take care of their poor college student! yeah!
yes! I do that! (ppppbbbbb)! and it also helps to see if you are breathing right...because if you don't have enough breath support...you can't do it!

*I have a very nice stepladder. I love it, but it is sad that I never knew my real ladder
deedeeshell is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-09-2002, 11:05 PM   #25
mav13tn@aol.com

Red face (pppppppbbbbbb)

That (ppppBBBB) sound is one of the best excercises that a beginning or even a professional singer can do, and I highly recommend it. Just for future reference it is known as a "Bilabial Fricative"
Unread 01-09-2003, 08:21 PM   #26

Question Jen Knapp?

Quote:
Originally posted by Singin4Him82
If it works and it's working the right way that's great but it can be dangerous to do this esp with people like Jennifer Knapp and Mariah Carey because neither girls sing the right way and they both do very bad very dangerous things with their voice. It's a lot easier to take on bad habits when trying to sound like someone else. Just be gentle and sing very mellow easy songs and exercise your vocal range with simple scales. If you can afford vocal lessons I'd HIGHLY suggest that because that's the one sure way to extend your range safely. One thing to remember is, if it hurts when you're done stop doing it.
I've been trying to improve my ok voice so came and looked at the vocals. but how is Jennifer Knapp doing dangerous things to her voice? Is it straning to much? I was just wondering cuz I know she has a southern acc so I thought maybe her voice is just like that. I love her voice and I wanna know more
Unread 01-23-2003, 07:05 PM   #27
workhardworkharder

Send a message via AIM to Scott Send a message via MSN to Scott
Learning to properly control your tongue and throat do wonders for your range.

Incidentally, since you can't control the diaphragm directly, don't worry about it too much. Instead work on holding your body correctly, your head straight, and breathing correctly (not too deep, not too shallow, unless you are going for Belle and Sebastian breathiness) and the diaphragm takes care of itself.

127.0.0.1, sweet 127.0.0.1
Scott is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-11-2003, 09:37 PM   #28
You wanna see dry land?

Send a message via AIM to Insane Drummer
Re: How can I extend my vocal range?

Quote:
Originally posted by baß_freak_13
hey, I need help extending my range higher, does anyone know any effective ways to do that? thanx a bunch

suck in helium... works wonders
And I have been too proud to come in out of the rain
Insane Drummer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-11-2003, 11:22 PM   #29
Here On Assignment

As has been said before, placement and support. When I started I had a range from about D two octaves below mid-C up to about E above mid-C. That was when I was fully warmed up. After months of hard work I learned what support was and gained F-F#&G. When I learned how to use head voice(feels like it is in your forehead) I gained G#-A-A#&sometimes B- In full voice. About B-C it goes into falcetto. And that's pretty good for a Bass/Baritone. Just today I got my placement so perfect(relatively speaking) that I held a D at full blast(it was almost hurting <u>my</u> ears) for what must have been nearly 25 seconds, and I hadn't even taken a full breath. I also didn't hold it as long as I possibly could. Not only that, it was free, painless, clear, full(almost Pavoratti'ish), unstrained and with a natural vibratto. All this is not to be boastful(except maybe to say that my teacher is awsome) but to illustrate how much one can improve. The only down side is that you really have to have a good teacher to really get it right.

In Him,
Stephen J.
F.U.E.L(1) is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-02-2003, 05:44 PM   #30
Where have I been?

Send a message via AIM to Thespia Send a message via Yahoo to Thespia
support

I think the key to range is support and time. If you have the notes in you, but can't sing them correctly without sounding natural, then concentrate on singing correctly and with GOOD BREATH SUPPORT. That means not tightening your throat (it won't hurt), relaxing your neck, shoulders, everything, and pulling in your stomach for the support you need. Learning to control your breath and singing on the edge of your range, but not too far, will increase it over time if its meant to be. I have some friends who have been singing bass or baritone for longs periods of time, but when they got with a great voice teacher and started working on techinique (but not pushing)...the voice naturally increased in range to what it could be.

What we sing normally is not always what we should sing *naturally*.