Go Back   Christian Guitar Forum > CGR Stuff > Nostalgia
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Mark Forums Read

 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 07-08-2002, 10:49 AM   #1
Unregistered
Guest
 

Posts: n/a
Question Art Class Nudity

Ok, here's the deal. I saw an add at school yesterday wanting a model for a figure drawing class. I've been thinking about applying for the job because the pay is good and I think it would build my self-confidence.

If people are looking at you purely for the sake of art and there's nothing sexual about it, is it wrong to be nude in that situation?

 
Sponsored Links
Unread 07-08-2002, 11:06 AM   #2
Registered User
 

Joined: Jul 2001
Posts: 13,387
well i dont have any scripture to back up what i'm gonna say but i would think that its alright

your body is a work of art in itself, with God as the artist
perhaps is offline  
Unread 07-08-2002, 11:13 AM   #3
A fan of the lemer[sic]
 
+Donny's Avatar
 

Joined: Jul 2001
Location: Nowhere, ID
Posts: 17,861
Send a message via AIM to +Donny
i dont think you should do it. You wouldnt be exactly dressing modestly in that situation (though it could be argued that modest dressing depends on the situation, and in this situation it is permissable to be naked). Plus, how do you know that no one is looking at you with lust?
__________________
"Well, this is extremely interesting," said the Episcopal Ghost. "It's a point of view. Certainly, it's a point of view."
+Donny is offline  
Unread 07-08-2002, 11:19 AM   #4
Registered User
 
boogeray's Avatar
 

Joined: Feb 2002
Location: Post, TX
Posts: 1,161
are you people even christians?????

as the church goes so goes the world.............no wonder our world is sick

kinda sad when christians hafta ask questions like this

is the church really that far out in left field???
__________________
regards boogeray

is liberalism really a mental disorder?
boogeray is offline  
Unread 07-08-2002, 11:21 AM   #5
is Your Mom
 
Yojimbo's Avatar
 

Joined: Apr 2002
Posts: 4,477
Quote:
Originally posted by boogeray
are you people even christians?????

as the church goes so goes the world.............no wonder our world is sick

kinda sad when christians hafta ask questions like this

is the church really that far out in left field???
some people *can* detach themselves in order to do a job--in this case, looking at a model and drawing him, or being that model. I mean, should doctors avoid being Christians because their job will require them from time to time to look at and touch naked people?
Yojimbo is offline  
Unread 07-08-2002, 11:24 AM   #6
Pie...& chips. For free!
 
Cadence's Avatar
 

Joined: Nov 2001
Posts: 5,445
Quote:
Originally posted by Goodness


some people *can* detach themselves in order to do a job--in this case, looking at a model and drawing him, or being that model. I mean, should doctors avoid being Christians because their job will require them from time to time to look at and touch naked people?
That's alot different than just simply posing nude. Doctors need to help people...there is a purpose that benefits peoples health and is much needed.

Nude art isn't needed.
__________________
Support the Photography Forum

Cadence is offline  
Unread 07-08-2002, 11:30 AM   #7
is Your Mom
 
Yojimbo's Avatar
 

Joined: Apr 2002
Posts: 4,477
Quote:
Originally posted by paradigm
That's alot different than just simply posing nude. Doctors need to help people...there is a purpose that benefits peoples health and is much needed.

Nude art isn't needed.
I disagree...I'm not an artsy person, but I think nudity can exist in art without being gratuitious. Michaelangelo's David, for example. Nudity as an artistic theme usually doesn't have much to deal with lust.

And no, I'm not going to defend the gratuitious (in my unartistic eyes) use of nudity and other "shocking" themes in modern art these days.
Yojimbo is offline  
Unread 07-08-2002, 11:30 AM   #8
Banned
 
Travis's Avatar
 

Joined: Oct 2001
Location: The LBK
Posts: 16,644
If I had a significant other or a daughter I would certainly not want either of them to pose nude. I am not necessarily saying it is sinful, but think about how it will affect you and relationships you are in. Also, think about how it will affect your witness as a Christian.
Travis is offline  
Unread 07-08-2002, 11:32 AM   #9
is Your Mom
 
Yojimbo's Avatar
 

Joined: Apr 2002
Posts: 4,477
Quote:
Originally posted by Travis
If I had a significant other or a daughter I would certainly not want either of them to pose nude. I am not necessarily saying it is sinful, but think about how it will affect you and relationships you are in. Also, think about how it will affect your witness as a Christian.
True...I agree. I don't think it is unnecessarily sinful, and that nudity has a place in art. However, for all practical purposes in this imperfect world, it would probably not be good to perform nude. But hey, maybe he's at a school where everyone can get over it. Art people can be weird
Yojimbo is offline  
Unread 07-08-2002, 11:35 AM   #10
Registered User
 

Joined: Jul 2001
Posts: 13,387
Quote:
Originally posted by Goodness
I disagree...I'm not an artsy person, but I think nudity can exist in art without being gratuitious. Michaelangelo's David, for example. Nudity as an artistic theme usually doesn't have much to deal with lust.

And no, I'm not going to defend the gratuitious (in my unartistic eyes) use of nudity and other "shocking" themes in modern art these days.
i agree with you

i really dont see anything wrong with it, as long as its not intended for wrong reasons

the body is God's beautiful work
cant we celebrate it?
perhaps is offline  
Unread 07-08-2002, 11:37 AM   #11
Pie...& chips. For free!
 
Cadence's Avatar
 

Joined: Nov 2001
Posts: 5,445
Quote:
Originally posted by Goodness


I disagree...I'm not an artsy person, but I think nudity can exist in art without being gratuitious. Michaelangelo's David, for example. Nudity as an artistic theme usually doesn't have much to deal with lust.

And no, I'm not going to defend the gratuitious (in my unartistic eyes) use of nudity and other "shocking" themes in modern art these days.
I never said it can't exsist in art without being gratuitous. What I said is that your example of a doctor was weak in comparison. nude art isn't needed like medical help is.

Point...nude art is not always lustful, but still...should members of the body of Christ be participating in it?
__________________
Support the Photography Forum

Cadence is offline  
Unread 07-08-2002, 11:38 AM   #12
Banned
 
Travis's Avatar
 

Joined: Oct 2001
Location: The LBK
Posts: 16,644
Quote:
Originally posted by perhaps
the body is God's beautiful work
cant we celebrate it?
So is sex. Let's celebrate that too with XXX videos. It should be ok as long as the people are married that are having sex right? We can all just watch them and enjoy seeing God's gift of sex.

There has to be a line somewhere.
Travis is offline  
Unread 07-08-2002, 11:38 AM   #13
Pie...& chips. For free!
 
Cadence's Avatar
 

Joined: Nov 2001
Posts: 5,445
Quote:
Originally posted by perhaps




the body is God's beautiful work
cant we celebrate it?
Yes...with your husband or wife.
__________________
Support the Photography Forum

Cadence is offline  
Unread 07-08-2002, 11:39 AM   #14
Pie...& chips. For free!
 
Cadence's Avatar
 

Joined: Nov 2001
Posts: 5,445
Quote:
Originally posted by Travis
So is sex. Let's celebrate that too with XXX videos. It should be ok as long as the people are married that are having sex right? We can all just watch them and enjoy seeing God's gift of sex.

There has to be a line somewhere.
Hey Travis!! We agree!


oh joy
__________________
Support the Photography Forum

Cadence is offline  
Unread 07-08-2002, 11:40 AM   #15
Banned
 
Travis's Avatar
 

Joined: Oct 2001
Location: The LBK
Posts: 16,644
Quote:
Hey Travis!! We agree!


Well that's good. Shocking, but good.
Travis is offline  
 

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 05:15 PM.


Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0 PL2