Go Back   Christian Guitar Forum > CGR Stuff > Nostalgia
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 07-08-2002, 10:49 AM   #1
Unregistered

Question Art Class Nudity

Ok, here's the deal. I saw an add at school yesterday wanting a model for a figure drawing class. I've been thinking about applying for the job because the pay is good and I think it would build my self-confidence.

If people are looking at you purely for the sake of art and there's nothing sexual about it, is it wrong to be nude in that situation?

Sponsored Links
Unread 07-08-2002, 11:06 AM   #2

well i dont have any scripture to back up what i'm gonna say but i would think that its alright

your body is a work of art in itself, with God as the artist
Unread 07-08-2002, 11:13 AM   #3
A fan of the lemer[sic]

Send a message via AIM to +Donny
i dont think you should do it. You wouldnt be exactly dressing modestly in that situation (though it could be argued that modest dressing depends on the situation, and in this situation it is permissable to be naked). Plus, how do you know that no one is looking at you with lust?
Unread 07-08-2002, 11:19 AM   #4

are you people even christians?????

as the church goes so goes the world.............no wonder our world is sick

kinda sad when christians hafta ask questions like this

is the church really that far out in left field???

is liberalism really a mental disorder?
Unread 07-08-2002, 11:21 AM   #5
is Your Mom

Quote:
Originally posted by boogeray
are you people even christians?????

as the church goes so goes the world.............no wonder our world is sick

kinda sad when christians hafta ask questions like this

is the church really that far out in left field???
some people *can* detach themselves in order to do a job--in this case, looking at a model and drawing him, or being that model. I mean, should doctors avoid being Christians because their job will require them from time to time to look at and touch naked people?
Unread 07-08-2002, 11:24 AM   #6
Pie...& chips. For free!

Quote:
Originally posted by Goodness

some people *can* detach themselves in order to do a job--in this case, looking at a model and drawing him, or being that model. I mean, should doctors avoid being Christians because their job will require them from time to time to look at and touch naked people?
That's alot different than just simply posing nude. Doctors need to help people...there is a purpose that benefits peoples health and is much needed.

Nude art isn't needed.

Unread 07-08-2002, 11:30 AM   #7
is Your Mom

Quote:
Originally posted by paradigm
That's alot different than just simply posing nude. Doctors need to help people...there is a purpose that benefits peoples health and is much needed.

Nude art isn't needed.
I disagree...I'm not an artsy person, but I think nudity can exist in art without being gratuitious. Michaelangelo's David, for example. Nudity as an artistic theme usually doesn't have much to deal with lust.

And no, I'm not going to defend the gratuitious (in my unartistic eyes) use of nudity and other "shocking" themes in modern art these days.
Unread 07-08-2002, 11:30 AM   #8
Banned

If I had a significant other or a daughter I would certainly not want either of them to pose nude. I am not necessarily saying it is sinful, but think about how it will affect you and relationships you are in. Also, think about how it will affect your witness as a Christian.
Unread 07-08-2002, 11:32 AM   #9
is Your Mom

Quote:
Originally posted by Travis
If I had a significant other or a daughter I would certainly not want either of them to pose nude. I am not necessarily saying it is sinful, but think about how it will affect you and relationships you are in. Also, think about how it will affect your witness as a Christian.
True...I agree. I don't think it is unnecessarily sinful, and that nudity has a place in art. However, for all practical purposes in this imperfect world, it would probably not be good to perform nude. But hey, maybe he's at a school where everyone can get over it. Art people can be weird
Unread 07-08-2002, 11:35 AM   #10

Quote:
I disagree...I'm not an artsy person, but I think nudity can exist in art without being gratuitious. Michaelangelo's David, for example. Nudity as an artistic theme usually doesn't have much to deal with lust.

And no, I'm not going to defend the gratuitious (in my unartistic eyes) use of nudity and other "shocking" themes in modern art these days.
i agree with you

i really dont see anything wrong with it, as long as its not intended for wrong reasons

the body is God's beautiful work
cant we celebrate it?
Unread 07-08-2002, 11:37 AM   #11
Pie...& chips. For free!

Quote:

I never said it can't exsist in art without being gratuitous. What I said is that your example of a doctor was weak in comparison. nude art isn't needed like medical help is.

Point...nude art is not always lustful, but still...should members of the body of Christ be participating in it?

Unread 07-08-2002, 11:38 AM   #12
Banned

Quote:
Originally posted by perhaps
cant we celebrate it?
So is sex. Let's celebrate that too with XXX videos. It should be ok as long as the people are married that are having sex right? We can all just watch them and enjoy seeing God's gift of sex.

There has to be a line somewhere.
Unread 07-08-2002, 11:38 AM   #13
Pie...& chips. For free!

Quote:
Originally posted by perhaps

cant we celebrate it?
Yes...with your husband or wife.

Unread 07-08-2002, 11:39 AM   #14
Pie...& chips. For free!

Quote:
Originally posted by Travis
So is sex. Let's celebrate that too with XXX videos. It should be ok as long as the people are married that are having sex right? We can all just watch them and enjoy seeing God's gift of sex.

There has to be a line somewhere.
Hey Travis!! We agree!

oh joy

Unread 07-08-2002, 11:40 AM   #15
Banned

Quote:
Hey Travis!! We agree!

Well that's good. Shocking, but good.