Go Back   Christian Guitar Forum > Musicians > Bass
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 08-12-2002, 10:31 PM   #31

I thought George and John were the only ones that used the Bass VI on any Beatles songs...Paperback Writer was the first beatles song Paul used his Rickenbacker on wasn't it? I remember reading somewhere that the reason that tracks bass is so big is that they tracked bass last, and miced it with a speaker cabinet instead of a microphone...

Lots of web and print sources confirm this, and I found a source that said he played his Ric on And Your Bird Can Sing...

A good example of the Fender Bass VI sound is Cream, Jack Bruce used a Bass VI between his use of a Dano Longhorn and a Gibson EB-(3?)...

Last edited by LWatford; 08-13-2002 at 02:58 PM.
LWatford is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Unread 08-12-2002, 10:44 PM   #32
Unregistered

just play with an octave pedal silly... that simple.... duh.... or howabout to play a guitar.... like real person would.... 6 strings all the way baby!!!
Unread 08-13-2002, 12:38 AM   #33

I'm a bass player and I have 6-strings...does that make me a real person?
Unread 08-13-2002, 06:04 AM   #34

Darn! I only have 5! Now I guess I have to go tell my wife and kids that I am a fake. Oh... wait a second... I forgot... I do have a couple of those little six stringers! I play with them every once in a while when I'm doing some recording but they just don't have that BIG window rattling sound that slams you in the chest and makes everybody get up and dance! Oh well, once a fake always a fake...

Peace!
groover is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-13-2002, 08:20 AM   #35

Don't tell anyone, but I'm still a fake too!
Unread 08-13-2002, 09:28 AM   #36

Send a message via Yahoo to chubby28081us
In the song paperback writer paul uses a classical music background to back the song its called counter point. plus the bass line is from another song he adds it in without most people knowing it . He also uses a chours pedals You are thinking whats the big deal. He,s the first person to use one. AND the rick and fender were built just for him o yea roto sound made him some special strings. That later were use by the ox, chris squire and Stanley clarke .Before paul the bass was just background noise in rock and roll. And if you want to hear real bass playing go back to the jazz period of mingus and ballard or country music on sunn records
Unread 08-13-2002, 03:08 PM   #37

So are you saying Paul used a Chorus on Beatles records? Since chorus wasn't "officially" availibe in pedal form until the Roland CE-1 in the '70s. The Beatles engineers did develop a form of "chorus" during the revolver sessions, but that was done with a pair of tape machines.

Here is an interesting link with info on Paul's Ric, and the story behind his stock Fender Jazz:

http://w1.115.telia.com/~u11502421/beatles.htm

Last edited by LWatford; 08-13-2002 at 03:15 PM.
Unread 08-13-2002, 08:55 PM   #38

Quote:
Before paul the bass was just background noise in rock and roll.
That's more because the Beatles came along at about the same time that bass guitars with magnetic pickups came into fashion. The bass guitar as an instrument made it possible for bass to come out of the background in a way that wasn't easy with the acoustic upright basses in use before that.

Yes, Paul did some great, pioneering work on bass, but again he doesn't do anything significantly different to many modern bassists. (Obviously many modern bassists were influenced by him though.)

Thanks,

N.ô
N.tm is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-14-2002, 11:14 AM   #39

Send a message via Yahoo to chubby28081us
Cool

Thats right but with todays advance systems why is that so. Come on somebody push the limits take the chance by the way I Had an mastreo chours way back when they were made in italy. IN 76 I had a boss just two years later I had a disc player boy that cost an arm and leg back then
chubby28081us is offline   Reply With Quote