Go Back   Christian Guitar Forum > CGR Stuff > CD Reviews > M
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Mark Forums Read

View Poll Results: Rank the overall quality of this CD, with 1 being the lowest and 10 being the highest
1 1 3.85%
2 0 0%
3 0 0%
4 0 0%
5 1 3.85%
6 0 0%
7 2 7.69%
8 3 11.54%
9 10 38.46%
10 9 34.62%
Voters: 26. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 06-11-2002, 06:02 AM   #1

Send a message via AIM to Mickey
Max, Kevin - Stereotype Be

Tracks
1. Return Of The Singer
2. Existence
3. Be
4. Angel With No Wings
5. Shaping Space
6. Dead End Moon
7. Union Of The Soul
8. The Secret Circle
9. I Don't Belong
10. Blind
11. On And On
12. Her Game
13. Deconstructing Venus
14. I Went Over The Edge Of The World

For more on Kevin Max, click here.

Mickey is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Unread 06-22-2002, 12:34 AM   #2
Joshua's Girl

I really like this CD. I think it is very creative. . . And, Kevin Max has a great voice. . .

-'Imperfection' Skillet

Dot35 Board
luvhispresence is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-30-2002, 08:54 PM   #3
transubstantiate life

Kevin Max, in my mind, is the best of the dcTalk trio. And his solo album is not disappointing. It has a completely unique sound that is missing from the hip hip (toby) and rock (Tait) of the other albums. The lyrics remind me of poetry, and most of the songs flow as such. The only reason that I gave this CD a nine out of ten was that I felt that some of the songs had lyrics that were not exactly christian. He could have been slightly more appropriate in spots, as he is under a christian label.

Overall, a great effort that far outshines anything he has done in his work with dcTalk.

Check out my Blog!
SccHarpGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-19-2002, 10:58 PM   #4
Techie/Guitar Junky

Send a message via AIM to NobleWard
Talking Hehehe...

Kevin Max, in my mind, is an extremely creative, imaginitive artist. His CD is very different from anything else I have in my collection, and I admire the fact that his lyrics are very poetic and expressive. While not "dc Talk" Christian ministry music on every track, it is more of a personal declaration, by a Christian artist, of his personal feelings, emotions, and thoughts. I respect this in an artist. I give the CD a nine. Why not a ten, one may ask? It's not my favorite CD, that's why. Only my favorite CDS get a ten silly. While I do enjoy Kevin's "different", I have to be in a certain state of mind to really fully enjoy the music. Ten rated CDs are easy for me to get into from the get go. Overall, I like the CD and enjoy the music thoroughly.
~Noble

~Church music should be loud!! Crank it like you live it, for all the world to hear!!~
NobleWard is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-13-2003, 03:54 PM   #5
Thread Killer

this is an okay cd, but i got sick of it after a while, but after reading the book i came t o get the songs in my head, even though i havent listened to the cd in a month. im gonna listen to it now.:kwink:
Unread 08-11-2003, 07:57 PM   #6
No Longer a User

Fresh sound and lyrics. I especially like the wordplay.
bmcneal is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-11-2003, 08:34 PM   #7

Creative and intriguing lyrics. IMO, unique music. Some sounds Middle Eastern, and others from other countries. In an interview I read with KMax, he said the whole album sounded "very international" himself. I'd agree.

And he has the singing talent neither toby or Michael have. He can sing very good. Much better than me.

~Jon
Jonular is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-06-2003, 04:16 PM   #8
throw up your rawkfist!!!

Send a message via AIM to punker15 Send a message via Yahoo to punker15
if i had to choose the voice i hated the most, it would be kevin max. he has this aweful habit of adding vibrato on the end of every note he sings. he's the main reason i can't stand dc talk.

i think he has talent but his voice is very different sounding. i guess that's what makes him unique.

my favorite dc talk solo artist is toby mac.
punker15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-16-2004, 11:38 AM   #9
is growing up

Send a message via AIM to SupaNova
"Stereotype Be" is a very good album, if you're looking for something different. Musically, Kevin takes several differnt styles, even including some middle eastern tunes, and blends them into a refreshing "experimental pop" of sorts. While some songs may sound a little bit similar ("On and On" and "Her game" for instance), each track has enough originality to stand out on their own. To complement the music, are Kevin's unique, warbling vocals that emit a passion I don't think could be matched by either Tobymac or Micheal Tait.
However, unlike his work with DC Talk, the lyrics found here poetically reflect more on relationships and women, though a quiet, thoughtful presence of Kmax's faith is felt throughout the album. While not the most openly "Christian" album, "Stereotype Be" is well worth the listen, if you're looking for something different and innovative.

hard times in Rockingham, hard times harder still...
SupaNova is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-22-2004, 04:23 PM   #10
The Comeback Kid

I don't know if this is the place to ask, but didn't his name use to be Kevin Max Smith? Lately I've been hearing him as Kevin Max...what happened to Smith? (I heard he's an adopted child, so this may have something to do with it.)
Unread 08-01-2004, 07:13 PM   #11
radio gaga

Send a message via AIM to SuperMonkey Send a message via Yahoo to SuperMonkey
yeah, kevin max eugene smith. i think he dropped the last two names a while back.
Unread 08-01-2004, 09:56 PM   #12
so much

Quote:
Originally Posted by punker15
if i had to choose the voice i hated the most, it would be kevin max. he has this aweful habit of adding vibrato on the end of every note he sings.
He does do the vibrato a lot, but I love it because his vibrato is one of the most unique that I have ever heard. It is part of what makes him distinct. It's awesome, I like it. I can't imagine how you could hate that vibrato. Haha.

In His love,
Nate

"(a) Marriage in this state shall consist only of the union of one man and one woman.
(b) This state or a political subdivision of this state may not create or
recognize any legal status identical or similar to marriage.
Texas Constitution, Article I, Section 32"
Nate is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-24-2004, 06:46 PM   #13
Your car crash eyes...

This CD is amazing. The lyrics are just wow. They take thought. After thinking about them for hours on end, you still only have half the meaning of the song. Kevin is probably one of the most creative people in music, mainstream or Christian IMO. Don't buy this CD unless you are looking for something totally different.
Unread 06-18-2005, 01:25 PM   #14
Banned

i gave this cd a ten for originality of lyrics, originality of music, and because kevin's voice is so wonderfully developed. i would reccomend this cd to anyone, especially vocalists, because it is so unique, original, and creative. the lyrics are so unique, and sometimes dark, in fact, that it makes me wonder where he is spiritually. good music, however. especially for its price. i think it's like, 6 or 7 bucks at berean. go buy it right now! oh yeah- i can only complain about 1 thing- it only has eight tracks. not enough

Last edited by audioafan; 06-18-2005 at 01:29 PM. Reason: left something out
audioafan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-11-2010, 08:29 PM   #15

In my opinion there is not a bad song on this cd. I also think this is the best of the Solo efforts. Kevin Max is very creative and a breath of fresh air from all the trend following bands in the music industry. Probably the most the most underatted album of the decade. 10/10
telestarjammer is offline   Reply With Quote