Go Back   Christian Guitar Forum > CGR Stuff > CD Reviews > S
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Mark Forums Read

View Poll Results: Rank the overall quality of this CD, with 1 being the lowest and 10 being the highest
1 2 6.25%
2 2 6.25%
3 2 6.25%
4 1 3.13%
5 3 9.38%
6 3 9.38%
7 4 12.50%
8 5 15.63%
9 2 6.25%
10 8 25.00%
Voters: 32. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 01-05-2003, 08:33 PM   #16
Uff da

The band who bought out the Sonic Flood name, just isn't very good.

Bringing <strike>quality</strike> conversation to the internet since 2002.
Muffinly is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Unread 01-06-2003, 04:35 PM   #17

Send a message via AIM to Heavy C
Well...there are spots in the sogns where I can tell they recorded the vocals in two portions....
Spots where Rick is singing and before he finishes a word, he is already singing the next line....
And like on Lord Of The Dance, they have his voice alternating between normal and the distorted mic sound....
I dunno...I guess its just me but spots struck me as off..IMHO....

Sorry bout my typing...I have no spell checker and whe I use my delete (backspace) key it clears everythign I've typed usually...

-Cal
and I'm Still Listening."
Heavy C is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-08-2003, 04:01 AM   #18
Current Mood: chill

Send a message via AIM to soul-fighter
ok i totally know what youre talkin about now, the only song i noticed it in was lord of the dance tho. And in most of the songs i liked the voice distortion, it set it off to where it was a worship song, but not at the same time. whatever maybe its just my own musician oppinion

Matt 28:18-20... a verse to live by

Mark 11:24... want something?

"live it like you teach it, speak it like you preach it, love it like you mean it" - Skyler (me)

"Were the ones that make struggles. God gives us trials, its up to us what we do with them" -Skyler (me again lol)
soul-fighter is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-08-2003, 08:32 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally posted by soul-fighter
ok i totally know what youre talkin about now, the only song i noticed it in was lord of the dance tho. And in most of the songs i liked the voice distortion, it set it off to where it was a worship song, but not at the same time. whatever maybe its just my own musician oppinion
That's the beauty of music.....we can all have our own opinions. =)

-Cal
Unread 01-09-2003, 12:53 AM   #20

haha amen to that!

i dont know about the rest of you all but im guna get "Cry Holy" when it comes out in March. I recommend you all at least LISTEN to it, cuz they might have changed since this last one

"live it like you teach it, speak it like you preach it, love it like you mean it" - Skyler (me)

"Were the ones that make struggles. God gives us trials, its up to us what we do with them" -Skyler (me again lol)
Unread 01-09-2003, 06:29 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally posted by soul-fighter
haha amen to that!

i dont know about the rest of you all but im guna get "Cry Holy" when it comes out in March. I recommend you all at least LISTEN to it, cuz they might have changed since this last one

I'm gonna be beatig people out of my way to get it,
I still do lvoe the band....I find faults in palces, but overall..they are very cool.

-Cal
Unread 01-09-2003, 10:00 PM   #22

haha amen to that. Im not sayin i dont find faults in the band. But it IS like my fav band and when you guys were trashin em i had to stick up for em heh

Unread 03-03-2003, 05:36 PM   #23

The old band was so much better. They were like my fav. These guys really didn't live up to expectations.
bennie_05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-21-2003, 01:02 PM   #24
Rob
36 years is long enough.

The old SonicFlood put out what had to be one of the greatest cd's ever. Those are just too big of shoes to fill by a band that is just ok.
Rob is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-21-2003, 01:17 PM   #25
Very nice!

paid
Send a message via AIM to Brent
The problem is, and always has been, with the name. After the debut CD, with the name SONICFLOOd came certain expectations. The band that now has the name SONICFLOOd is *not* in any way SONICFLOOd. None of them were original members of the band, so in order for them to sound the same at all they would be copying what the original band did. There's absolutely nothing wrong with this "new" band. Their CD Resonate and their newest one (from what I've heard so far) are decent (at best) pop/worship recordings. They are fairly solid. However, they are NOT SONICFLOOd. That's still the problem and always will be with many people. Instead of starting some legal battle like Rick Heil did he should have just dropped the name and started a new band. With it he would have lost the reputation to live up to (which hasn't happened) and also lost the comparisons that will never end.

I, for one, don't care terribly for this "new" Sonicflood. The Resonate CD was okay in my opinion because it was original stuff. However, this newest one is almost entirely cover songs. I realize that the original Sonicflood CD was mostly cover songs, but the difference is that these songs were dramatically different from their regular recordings. SF did them in a style all their own many times with different chords and melodies than the originals even had. This "new" SF on the new record has mostly cover songs but has redone them in a way that is hardly different than the way we already know them. I think of the current single from the new album..."Famous One". Same style as the original only you've added Rick Heil's vocals to it....and on this song he's quite annoying *in my opinion*. He doesn't stay on key well in it to me and just doesn't fit in general. Just my 3 cents worth.
You're an immigrant, too!
Who's using who?
What should we do?
Well, you can't be a pimp and a prostitute too!

The White Stripes - "Icky Thump"
Brent is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-22-2003, 02:51 PM   #26

I didn't know Rick Heihl had a lawsuit but i can understand why. If he had dropped the name sonicflood and then put out teh stuff they did then they wouldn't have sold nearly as many albums.
bennie_05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-07-2003, 04:17 AM   #27
Elizabeth Rocks!!!

I was really dissapointed that all of the former band members had quit and had been replaced by totally new members...i give this cd a 2.
<marquee bgcolor="white">[size=]Aussies on CGR: Me, Beanie, living for God, Coldtoedpunker, reags, b_hoves, tellii, Dj MeZ'nJaH, comeback2morrow, peg, ICTHUS, J.C. Freak, Seraph_princess, and joshhem, pm me if I've left anyone out![/size]</marquee>

Awesome People, visit their blogs:
IndoGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-16-2003, 08:51 AM   #28
nkf31

If Rick felt that God was telling him to keep the name, then I don't see what's wrong! Why are there so many people out there criticising him? There is nothing wrong with his music. It may be a different style from the original band, but does that mean that one can't worship God just because the music is different? IF that's the way, I don't think you really understand the meaning of worship. No offense to anyone.
Unread 07-29-2004, 02:09 PM   #29

Everymember is new? In the pictures, I can see several members who were present for the first album. They grew hair which may throw some off. It looks to me like only the singer has changed. I've read in the publications that Jeff Deyo left the band, but I've never seen (other than this thread) that the entire band was new.
Vannaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-26-2005, 08:24 PM   #30

Will Denton

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heavy C
Well, I will recant some history given me by Jeff Deyo himself,adn soem I've aquired over time...

ORIGINAL ABND:
Otto Price- bass, founding member in 1998....was replaced on basss by Aaron Blanton in 1999. Otto does some producing and songwriting and works very closely with Jeff Deyo.

Jason Halbert- keys & programming, founding member in 1998, left in the split in 2000. Producer now.

Will Denton- drums, founding member in 1998, left in split in 2000, apparently has left professional music.
(these 3 guys were the abdn for DC Talk for about 3 years before forming SFd)

Jeff Deyo- lead vocals, original member, 1998-2000. Asked to leave the band shortly before the split. Has an awesoem solo career now.

Dwayne Larring- guiatrs, origial ember 1998-2000, left in split. He was the guitarist for SevenDay Jesus before joining SFd. He works with Halbert as a producer now.

Rick Heil- repalced Blanton on abss in late 1999, only meber to remain under the SONICFLOOd logo when they split up. Rebuilt the band, took voer elad vocals and sognwriting adn moved to secodary guitars. Rick wasn't an original member, but he was on the Live disc, their best one, so I included him.

Personally Deyo's solo career is truer to SONICFLOOd tradition adn sound, and better both musically and more worship oriented.

As to comments made about msdot of the sogns being covers..well, friend,Ig uess you neglected to notive that SONICFLOOd wrote as many of their own sogns under Deyo as they have under Heil.....don't look for a reason to knock them, jsut say you dont like them adn leave it there,..dont try to throw dirt in the grave when they are in the casket already.....sermon done.

cal
Hey - have to reply to this - I am Will Denton, and I never, ever played for Sonic Flood in any way. The only connection that might have been made is that I played on some of Jeff Deyo's earliest solo records, long before he ever joined SF. And as far as my being "out of Professional music", whoa! I've been playing with Steven Curtis Chapman for the nine years since I left dcTalk. Please, please don't spread information like this that you obviously haven't confirmed.....thanks!
chillwilldrums is offline   Reply With Quote