Go Back   Christian Guitar Forum > CGR Stuff > CD Reviews > P
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Mark Forums Read

View Poll Results: Rank the overall quality of this CD, with 1 being the lowest and 10 being the highest
1 3 2.80%
2 2 1.87%
3 0 0%
4 0 0%
5 2 1.87%
6 0 0%
7 7 6.54%
8 10 9.35%
9 21 19.63%
10 62 57.94%
Voters: 107. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 01-29-2003, 08:48 AM   #31
time to sanitize

Send a message via AIM to jude
actually, i thought the lyrics were pretty good, especially in comparison with some other bands.
You can easily tell who they are

If we are out of our minds, it is for the sake of Christ."- St. Paul

You are my joy in sadness
peace in madness
everything's backwards with You
Love in trial
cry then smile
i know that this much is true
i love You
jude is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Unread 02-24-2003, 03:36 PM   #32

Send a message via AIM to OldManYelling
Angry

Ok, I just gave this album a 1, and before you all jump down my throat, listen to what I have to say. Lyrically, these guys have no talent at all. How hard is it to write "live for God, Jesus loves you, I love Jesus" every single song? Don't get me wrong, I am a Christian, and I love Jesus, but when I listen to music, I want to hear something of significance...I love a good worship song, or even CD, like all of Skillet's stuff, but Pillar presents it in such a boring manner that it makes me want to go to sleep. Musically, where has all their experimentation go? On "Above", there were quite a few different styles present, but on "Fireproof" they just sit there with the same style, over and over again. I don't understand why the Christian community loves these guys so much. Every review I've read calls them "a perfect Christian counterpart of bands like Limb Bizkit and Linkin Park." I don't know any band who wants to sound as horrible as Limp Bizkit, or a repetative as Linkin Park. I don't want a Christian Limp Bizkit, I want an honest cd that sounds like it took some effort to make. This cd doesn't deliver. In layman's terms, this CD sucks.
OldManYelling is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-24-2003, 04:01 PM   #33
Sexier than Dr. Worm

Send a message via MSN to Danny
Quote:
OldManYelling:
Lyrically, these guys have no talent at all. How hard is it to write "live for God, Jesus loves you, I love Jesus" every single song? Don't get me wrong, I am a Christian, and I love Jesus, but when I listen to music, I want to hear something of significance...
I tend to agree with you on this point... Their lyrics are a bit redundant, and simple most of the time, but there are some redeeming moments, such as "Indivisible."
Quote:
Musically, where has all their experimentation go? On "Above", there were quite a few different styles present, but on "Fireproof" they just sit there with the same style, over and over again.
On Above, the musical style was just as redundant, except, on top of being monotonous, it just plain sucked. Fireproof, while dwelling on the same musical style through the whole album (which I don't see what you have a problem with), did so very well. Pillar has improved a lot artistically since Above, adding more bass and drums into the mix, where the focus was entirely on the guitar and the rapping vocals on Above.
Quote:
I don't understand why the Christian community loves these guys so much. Every review I've read calls them "a perfect Christian counterpart of bands like Limb Bizkit and Linkin Park." I don't know any band who wants to sound as horrible as Limp Bizkit, or a repetative as Linkin Park. I don't want a Christian Limp Bizkit, I want an honest cd that sounds like it took some effort to make.
I wholeheartedly agree. I don't want to hear Mtv clones, I want to hear an original band. But, if you ask me, Pillar is very original, and delivers "rap/core" in a way that has not been done before.
Danny is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-04-2003, 10:48 AM   #34
throw up your rawkfist!!!

Send a message via AIM to punker15 Send a message via Yahoo to punker15
this cd totally rocks! love the riffs that start out most of the songs. someone said this cd has lame lyrics. well... i agree with underground girl. i think all the lyrics are totally original! it's great to have a band that doesn't water down their lyrics. with pillar going mainstream, i hope and pray they will reach the lost with their strong message.

pillar is proabably my third favorite band next to switchfoot and audio adrenaline

i give the cd a 10

my favorite songs are: fireproof, echelon, and just 2 get by

check out my website! www.ilikeskateboarding.com
punker15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-04-2003, 11:21 AM   #35
throw up your rawkfist!!!

Send a message via AIM to punker15 Send a message via Yahoo to punker15
totally love this cd.

i disagree with comment about the lyrics being unoriginal. the following lyrics do not apear in any song in this cd! live for God, Jesus loves you, I love Jesus... these songs make you stop and think about your life.

very talented band!

i give fireproof a 10!

check out my website www.ilikeskateboarding.comwww.ilikeskateboarding.com
punker15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-04-2003, 06:42 PM   #36
Sexier than Dr. Worm

As good as the music may be, and as great as the "message" is, the lyrics used to deliver it are extremely shallow, and oftentimes overused.

Take this line for example:
"Evolutionists, we got love for you too,
but we're breaking down walls seeking out the truth."
First of all, the proper term would be "atheists," not "evolutionists," as there are many Christians who are theistic evolutionists (IE: the belief that God created the world through evolution; first few chapters of Genesis are figurative), and I assume that the object of this sentence is literally, atheists, not evolutionists. Secondly, "breaking down walls" and "seeking out truth" are both far overused clichés. Flaws like these in the lyrics are littered throughout the CD. There is nothing that seperates the quality of their lyrics (note: quality of lyrics, not quality of message) from any other mediocre CCM band.

Overall, a decent band with talented musicians, but I'd like to see some more thought put into the lyrics.
Unread 04-07-2003, 04:10 AM   #37
Elizabeth Rocks!!!

These guys give a great message out in a faboulous style! They rock! Like POD and Project 86 but better. I will give it a 10. Best songs are Ashamed, Fireproof and Echelon.
<marquee bgcolor="white">[size=]Aussies on CGR: Me, Beanie, living for God, Coldtoedpunker, reags, b_hoves, tellii, Dj MeZ'nJaH, comeback2morrow, peg, ICTHUS, J.C. Freak, Seraph_princess, and joshhem, pm me if I've left anyone out![/size]</marquee>

Awesome People, visit their blogs:
IndoGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-12-2003, 02:06 AM   #38

Send a message via AIM to rkcoolguy Send a message via Yahoo to rkcoolguy
Cool The CD rocks

in my opinion i think that pillar has been blessed by God and that he has a plan for the band and maybe they will save many more lives.....i guess going mainstream isn't really going to change their beliefs i hope that they mention GOD in all of their songs unlike other bands who claim to be christian and true belivers, but don't really want to talk about God in their songs well i think that they are cool and they have influenced to stand up for GOD

God bless u all

PER-C
Unread 04-26-2003, 05:10 PM   #39

Thumbs up pillar

This cd is awesome!!!!!!! when i go to church and sing hymns, they bore me to death. but pillar is awesome, and their style of music pierces my soul with a positive message. I have both above and firproof cds, and they both rock to the end of time!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! if you do not own them, you need them.
mustang is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-01-2003, 07:26 PM   #40
yeah I'm engaged

Send a message via AIM to yeah_im_a_freak Send a message via Yahoo to yeah_im_a_freak
Definitely one of my all-time favorite cds. Pillar rocks my face off!

The Lonely World of Screen Names That Begin With Y <----MY BLOG

I'm back in action!

yeah_im_a_freak is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-20-2003, 11:51 AM   #41
JadedBlades

dude, this CD is amazing. i saw them live and bought the cd within 5 minutes at fresitival con dios. this band is tewice tha band POD is, its amazing. seriously buy there stuff, its nuts. oh, and watch for there new single FIREPROOF in mtv really soon!
Unread 05-20-2003, 12:23 PM   #42
Techie/Guitar Junky

Send a message via AIM to NobleWard
Huh?

I think Pillar is a very bold band making a very bold statement. To the person who posted the thing on "evolutionists" should be "atheists", theistic evolution contradicts every foundational doctrine in the Bible, from Original Sin to the purpose of the Crucifixation. So the statement about evolutionists is very fitting in the song.

~Church music should be loud!! Crank it like you live it, for all the world to hear!!~
NobleWard is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-20-2003, 10:19 PM   #43

I wasn't a very big fan of Above either. I actually got it after Fireproof. I heard this guys were good, and I saw the cd on sale for $10.99, so I bought it. I think this was one of my best purchases ever. Though I didn't like the heavier stuff at first ( heavier compared to punk), it very gradually grew on me.

The guitars in this are amazing. Noah is a great player. The guitars fit perfectly in the songs. Very tricky riffs on several songs. Lyrics are very well done. Pillar carries a good message in their songs. This is one of my favorites. 10.
AllTheWayLive86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-21-2003, 07:03 AM   #44
Don't hate, I'm just good

Send a message via ICQ to Avalanche 126 Send a message via AIM to Avalanche 126 Send a message via Yahoo to Avalanche 126
has anyone bothered to buy the new remixed fireproof. its sonically way better than their flicker release. and it has 1 more song on it, and a dvd if you're lucky. it rocks hard. the remix makes it an 11 now.

let's have a laugh -
Avalanche 126 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-21-2003, 12:54 PM   #45
Sexier than Dr. Worm

Have they just redone all the songs on a different label? Or is it a techno remix type thing?