Go Back   Christian Guitar Forum > CGR Stuff > CD Reviews > J
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Mark Forums Read

View Poll Results: Rank the overall quality of this CD, with 1 being the lowest and 10 being the highest
1 2 4.17%
2 0 0%
3 0 0%
4 2 4.17%
5 0 0%
6 2 4.17%
7 4 8.33%
8 7 14.58%
9 12 25.00%
10 19 39.58%
Voters: 48. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 02-18-2003, 04:18 PM   #16
Shutterbug

This is a realy great album that is one of my favorites.

Revolution and Fly are the best tracks

rocketboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Unread 02-18-2003, 04:43 PM   #17

Send a message via ICQ to mdl9482 Send a message via AIM to mdl9482 Send a message via Yahoo to mdl9482
Re: more mainstream

Quote:
Originally posted by Supermatt
I am a huge Jars of Clay fan, so this is not prejudiced, but I really think The Eleventh Hour stunk. A secular reveiewist for the New York TImes had a hard time finding something "christian" about the cd. THat worries me. If a lost person can not see God in a CD, or has a hard time doing it, what good is the CD except for entertainment? When a Christian artist steps over into the realm of "entertainment", it is a lot harder for him to be used to his fullest by God. I hope Jars of Clay sees this before their next album.
I'd like to comment on this since this topic kind of hits close to home. Currently I am an avid lover of almost all Christian music, and Jars is by far my favorite band of all time, Christian and non-Christian. However, it would have not been this way without lyrics that didn't mention Jesus.
My whole life I grew up on music thorugh my dad's continuous playing of it in the house. I've grown to love and appreciate 0s and 80s music more than much of the secular stuff today. When I was a young teen in the mid 90s, my dad was a member of Columbia House music group (which I am now a member of and highly recommend). He had never listened to Christian music before, at least he thought. One day he got an order in the mail that he made and realized one of the CD's he got wasn't what he wanted. However, he went ahead and listened to it and recognized a couple of songs from it because they were played in the secular markets.
The CD was Michael W. Smith's The First Decade and the songs were A Place In This World and I will Be here for you which neither mention Christ. My family was church going so we were Christians, but he didn't know Smitty was a Christian artists along with Amy Grant until doing further research. From that day on, we both listen to Christian music and I worked my way into loving it, starting with Smitty to dc Talk and now Jars of Clay. Although we were Christian, the music of Smitty was so good that we had to hear more and realized that Christian music was better than initially thought out to be. It's funny how now I am finding myself wanting to study christian radio and get into the christian radio/music business.
Therefore, I come to the conclusion that the 11th hour is a great starter CD for non-Christians to get interested in JoC and possibly be pulled into liking Christian music. If you bombard them with Christ, you won't get anywhere if they don't believe. As Jaci Velasquez says in her song Show Me Love, show them love and don't push too many buttons or else you may have more rejecters than believers.
mdl9482 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-18-2003, 05:08 PM   #18
Currently Untitled

Send a message via ICQ to stinkins Send a message via AIM to stinkins Send a message via Yahoo to stinkins
I think The Eleventh Hour is a fantastic disc. Jars of Clay really rebounded since their sophomore slump with both The Eleventh Hour and If I Left the Zoo...

Favorite tracks are Revolution and Fly...I also enjoy I Need You as well...

I even got the DVD with it...which is really cool as well.
Unread 03-03-2003, 05:32 PM   #19

I was really pretty dissapointed in it when i first listened to it. I couldn't find anything having to do with the Lord Jesus Christ. But then i heard they were trying to show Christ to nonbelievers through more secular music. So i can understand that and argue both ways. But i also don't think the musical quality was nearly as good as their self titled album. I hear a whole lot of people say stuff like "Oh Jars is going back to their roots, back to their original style." And thats just not true. One major difference is their first album was acoustic and had a much better arrangement. This album is all electric. It can grow on you but if i could go back i'd probably buy something else.
bennie_05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-06-2003, 04:31 AM   #20
The Non-Canadian Hoser

Send a message via AIM to hoser Send a message via Yahoo to hoser
a generous 4

I love Jars of Clay, and I love them because by and large, I can't stand popular Christian music, but I love God. Pop Christian lyrics tend to be weak, dishonest, and make Christianity seem like a cake walk, where as any real Christian knows, it is not so. I could say a lot more about this issue, and if you're actually interested in discussing, by all means send me a message or something and I'd love to discuss...So why do I love Jars of Clay if I hate pop Christian music so much (and believe me, I really can't stand it)...because they're honest. Read over the lyrics of Worlds Apart again, and you will understand what I mean by this. Dan makes lots of references to how difficult it is, to how a lot of times it's hard to maintain faith. Not only that, but that album is amazingly well composed; at no point do they ever touch a distortion pedal to build dynamic. No, they do so with sparing drums, amazing string compositions, and perfectly in place vocal layering and harmonies. I can't think of another band ever that has accomplished this in such a way.

Those things are all necessary for anyone to understand when they hear me say that I rated The Eleventh Hour a generous 4. If it weren't for Something Beautiful, Silence, and The Eleventh Hour, this album would be a complete waste of my time. I don't understand how anyone in his right mind can enjoy "Revolution." Seriously, grab a hammer, bang a gong? That's a ridiculous line that makes no sense except for an easy rhyme for a poorly written pop song. This album is ok lyrically (and certainly leagues better than the standard Christian pop album) and much worse musically. It is overflowing with simple progressions, standard instrumentation, and less than creative vocal tracking for the most part. These reasons are why I like the 3 songs I mentioned, because they get out of this pattern. Silence is my favorite on the album all the way around.

As for the constant talk about the failure of Much Afraid and If I Left the Zoo, I personally consider Much Afraid to be a solid sophomore effort (just think, if there was no such thing as the self-titled, must of us would view Much Afraid as incredible), especially because of songs like "Hymn" (and again, what other Christian artist comes up with lyrics like those?), Tea and Sympathy, Crazy Times (a standard pop song, but with a fairly creative chord progression and excellent lyrics) and Frail. If I Left the Zoo is probably no better than average, but I think is far, FAR better than The Eleventh Hour. Sad Clown off of that album is one of my favorite JoC songs ever. That song, if nothing else, shows serious versatility. Also, I think Goodbye, Goodnight is one of their better ones ever also. Very cool instrumentation in that one, super creative, and add a half cup of very Beatles-esque vocals and you make a great lead off song for an album.

JoC simply needs to get back to honest lyrics with creative instrumentation to back them up, not another album (as is The Eleventh Hour) that for the most part is chalk full of simple pop songs that lean entirely on above average lyrics...what else do you expect from those guys by now.

"Oh sweet merciful crap, my car!" -Homer Simpson

"I'd rather light a candle then curse your darkness." -John Goodman in <u>Raising Arizona</u>

"Don't let anyone look down on you because you are young, but set an example for believers in speech, in life, in love, in faith, and in purity." -1 Timothy 4:12
hoser is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-11-2003, 10:58 PM   #21

Send a message via AIM to jesusfreak1985
reply to hoser

hoser-
i can totally see what you're saying about the lyrics. i have to admit, as much as i like this album, some of the songs are U2-esque and very pop-y. the lyrics are, at best, not up to par w/ their first and second album. when i first got this cd, i listened to it once, and was not impressed so i put it aside. when i came back to it a couple of months later, i heard some new stuff and was starting to like it. now, after having it my car and listening to it only twice through in one day, i am a little tired of some of the songs. the chord progressions are basically predictable and the lyrics are not so creative. the cd does have some redeeming songs, and i think it was a smart idea for them to produce it themselves, and they are moving in the right direction after if i left the zoo. also, you have to keep in mind that they are evolving, they are changing their sound to expand their audience and draw in more non christians. many of my friends don't like my music b/c "it sounds like christian music....you can tell" i think if JoC is trying to avoid that stereotype and create a new following, more power to them. not everyone goes for REAL music...only musicians. which is why we like their debut. many people can't appreciate it's value musically or lyrically, and so with this album they are only trying to expand their outreach. i don't see anything wrong with that.
"i look beyond the empty cross/forgetting why my life has cost/and wipe away the crimson stains/dull the nail still remains/more and more i need you now/i owe you more each passing hour/battle between grace and pride/i gave up not so long ago..."-JARS!!
jesusfreak1985 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-11-2003, 12:24 PM   #22
a moose bit my sister...

Send a message via AIM to majestikmoose Send a message via MSN to majestikmoose
I don't think that this is the rigt place for this , but how about their new song: The Valley Song? By far, my favorite song....
Man, I look good, I mean, real good. Hey everyone-come see how good I look!
<marquee> Oh yeah Uncle Phil, it's real soft, it's marshmallowy....Fresh Prince</marquee>
Ponder the achievement of God.He doesn't condone our sin, nor does He compromise His standard.He does not ignore our rebellion, nor does he relax His demands. Rather than dismiss our sin, He assumes our sin and, incredibly, sentences Himself. God's Holiness is honored, our sin is punished...and we are redemed.God does what we cannt do so we can be what we dare not dream: perfect before God.

I LOVE PATRICK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
majestikmoose is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-11-2003, 05:33 PM   #23
Hooked on Jesus.

This CD of their's was the CD that got me into their music. I love it, and I think that it is an awesome CD. As far as a new album goes, they are not using electric guitars. It is going to be an acoustic CD, like their first one.

P.S. I have a VERY reliable sorce.
"With all our mindís attention, and all our heartís affection, devotion by definition, everybodyís worshipping something. But I choose You. All my attention, affection, and all my devotionís for You. I choose You
If everybodyís worshipping something
I choose You." ~I Choose You by According to John
A2JJCJ5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-18-2003, 07:51 PM   #24

Talking

I almost didn't get this cd, because they over played 'I Need You' on the radio. That was the only song that I didn't like on the entire cd.

'Revolution' rocks. There's no other way to put it.

'Whatever She Wants' is one of my all time favorite songs now.

But the best one is 'Silence'. In its quiet way, it is as powerful as 'Bring Me To Life' by Evanescance.
merrymary is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-27-2003, 10:31 AM   #25
Saved by grace

I agree that this is their best since the self-titled album. This album is awesome. I fell in love with it from the first time I heard it. I gave it a nine, only because their first CD will always be my favorite!

Jesus, you are my best friend, you will always be...nothing will ever change that.

I wanna be evergreen, I wanna live all year round.
jesus_freak21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-29-2003, 12:14 PM   #26

Talking

I don't know what's is wrong with you people. "Who We Are Instead" just came out. I have every CD of Jars of Clay besides there special albums and 100% The 11th Hour is the best CD ever made. This CD is there most speratual CD ever. It's the CD that has touched me the most that makes me cry the most. Anyways... Silence is my favorit song I have ever heard in the world. Then my next favorit on the CD is revolution, I need you, whatever she wants, and the edge of water.Maybe people should actually think before they write what they think on this web-site. Who the hell would give Jars of clay a 5. I guess some people do not like them that much. I gave this album a 10.
John L.
Johny is offline   Reply With Quote