Go Back   Christian Guitar Forum > CGR Stuff > CD Reviews > D
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Mark Forums Read

View Poll Results: Rank the overall quality of this CD, with 1 being the lowest and 10 being the highest
1 0 0%
2 0 0%
3 2 5.00%
4 0 0%
5 0 0%
6 2 5.00%
7 6 15.00%
8 4 10.00%
9 10 25.00%
10 16 40.00%
Voters: 40. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 02-28-2004, 05:02 PM   #16

Wink good

This is their best next to Jesus Freaks

simon1jf is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Unread 07-22-2004, 10:55 AM   #17
No Longer a User

My favorite dc Talk album besides Intermission.
bmcneal is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-06-2005, 05:03 PM   #18

An incredible follow up to Jesus Freak. After a huge album, they followed it up with one that was just as big. Consume Me rocked the charts and Supernatural is an amazing song. This is one of the few Cd's that you can line up with Jesus Freak as a true 10.
jamuel24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-21-2013, 02:22 PM   #19

This was like the first CCM album I ever heard. I didn't know at the time of listening that most other CCM I would hear, would seem far inferior to this.

I can't understand how CCM music critics seem to disregard this album. I've looked at 3 lists of top CCM albums and Supernatural doesn't appear on any of them, despite that it is one of the most successful CCM albums ever, reaching #4 on the Billboard Pop Chart....not the Billboard CCM Chart, the POP chart, amongst all the top mainstream pop music of 1998. The lists favour Jesus Freaks and Free at Last which I think are way inferior. One of the lists was CCM Magazine's, another HM Magazine's, and the third was a top 500 done by a guy who is obviously a CCM geek. He rated 500 other CCM albums ahead of Supernatural. Why is this? Is it because the album doesn't mention Jesus enough? Is it BECAUSE the album was such a mainstream success? I don't know

This is a link to this list for anyone interested

CCM's 500 Best Albums Of All Time
AndrewZealand is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-21-2013, 02:57 PM   #20
Administrator

Send a message via AIM to thesteve
I don't disagree with you, but given the tone of this post and your Amy Grant post, I can't help but feel that you're trying to pump this guy's blog up. Just wondering what, if any, connection you have to the blog might be.

I'm a podcaster
thesteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-21-2013, 02:57 PM   #21
Ax
Rabid Wombat

I think it's because the album was largely at odds with both their previous material and the popular CCM out at the time. I think it's a fantastic album. It's by far my favorite of their albums. However, there's not many memorable songs and none were really transcendent. The biggest hit on the album was probably Into Jesus and I don't remember hearing it much on Christian radio at the time.

AXimus AXamillion AXington
First of his name, moderator of the guitars and other instruments forums, changer of journal titles, haver of long titular epithets.

Current Rig:
Guitars: The NightShade, Fender Big Block Toronado, Fender Marauder, Fender Strat, Rogue ST-4
Pedals: Dunlop Crybaby -> SBN Soviet Power Booster -> SBN Modded Ibanez TS7 Tube Screamer -> SBN Discombobulamodulator -> Modded EHX Nano Small Clone -> Korg Pitchblack Tuner.
Amps: EVH 5150 III 50 Watt, Vox Night Train 15 Watt
Cabs: Late 80s Peavey 412-MS Sheffield 1290.

Public Blog

Ax is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-21-2013, 03:00 PM   #22
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ax
I think it's because the album was largely at odds with both their previous material and the popular CCM out at the time. I think it's a fantastic album. It's by far my favorite of their albums. However, there's not many memorable songs and none were really transcendent. The biggest hit on the album was probably Into Jesus and I don't remember hearing it much on Christian radio at the time.
"My Friend (So Long)" had a small amount of mainstream airplay I think. "Consume Me" was on the Dove Awards compilation from that year.

But yeah, "Jesus Freak" was such a highly regarded album, that anything else would've felt like a let down no matter what.

I'm a podcaster
Unread 01-21-2013, 03:06 PM   #23
Ax
Rabid Wombat

Quote:
Originally Posted by thesteve View Post
"My Friend (So Long)" had a small amount of mainstream airplay I think. "Consume Me" was on the Dove Awards compilation from that year.

But yeah, "Jesus Freak" was such a highly regarded album, that anything else would've felt like a let down no matter what.
I think Dive also enjoyed a moderate amount of success as a single if memory serves, but none of those were to the level of Jesus Freak or half the songs on it. I mean that album was just loaded with hits.

*edit* and wanna be loved, that song had a pretty good amount of success.

AXimus AXamillion AXington
First of his name, moderator of the guitars and other instruments forums, changer of journal titles, haver of long titular epithets.

Current Rig:
Guitars: The NightShade, Fender Big Block Toronado, Fender Marauder, Fender Strat, Rogue ST-4
Pedals: Dunlop Crybaby -> SBN Soviet Power Booster -> SBN Modded Ibanez TS7 Tube Screamer -> SBN Discombobulamodulator -> Modded EHX Nano Small Clone -> Korg Pitchblack Tuner.
Amps: EVH 5150 III 50 Watt, Vox Night Train 15 Watt
Cabs: Late 80s Peavey 412-MS Sheffield 1290.

Public Blog

Ax is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-21-2013, 04:27 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by thesteve View Post
I don't disagree with you, but given the tone of this post and your Amy Grant post, I can't help but feel that you're trying to pump this guy's blog up. Just wondering what, if any, connection you have to the blog might be.
Woah, steady on there. Firstly why would I be trying to pump this guy up when I disagree with his disregard of both Supernatural and of Unguarded? Secondly, this guy is clearly a CCM expert who it seems listens to any and every CCM album out there....why would I not want to link to his site, so people can learn from his vast experience? Not learn how to agree with his opinion, but learn about CCM albums we didn't know existed.

I don't know the guy and I only discovered this site a couple days ago. Fair?
AndrewZealand is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-21-2013, 04:42 PM   #25
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndrewZealand View Post
Woah, steady on there. Firstly why would I be trying to pump this guy up when I disagree with his disregard of both Supernatural and of Unguarded? Secondly, this guy is clearly a CCM expert who it seems listens to any and every CCM album out there....why would I not want to link to his site, so people can learn from his vast experience? Not learn how to agree with his opinion, but learn about CCM albums we didn't know existed.

I don't know the guy and I only discovered this site a couple days ago. Fair?
It works

Like I said, it just came off as odd. We've had people come to this site before...make a few posts, disappear for a month, then come back and start pimping a blog or another forum or whatever else with a vengeance.

All that being said, is there an actual list anywhere on that guy's site? I'd love to see how various albums are ranked without having to look at every single post he's ever made.

I guess there's this one: 11 Thru 500 CCM's 500 Best Albums Of All Time

It's interesting to me that (as far as I can tell) there is not a single album made in the last 22 years in his top 20.

Also...I saw that Switchfoot's "The Beautiful Letdown" made number 34...I don't even know if that's Switchfoot's best album...

This whole topic might be interesting to spin into a separate thread entirely.

I'm a podcaster
Unread 01-21-2013, 04:54 PM   #26
Administrator

New thread here: http://www.christianguitar.org/forums/t201935/

I'm a podcaster