Go Back   Christian Guitar Forum > Musicians > Guitar
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 05-03-2002, 11:36 AM   #46

Opinion seeking

I own a big baby right now. And I love how bright it sounds. It is an absolutely wonderful guitar. I recently saw a 614ce on ebay with an amazing quilt! Probably the most beautiful guitar I have ever seen. My finances will not allow me to own such a guitar at this time, but it is just as well. I don't play well enough to own such a beautiful work of art.

While it is nice to look at, I was wondering at the sound. I want a bright sounding guitar, like my big baby. Is the 614ce a bright sounding guitar, and what contributes to the "bright" sound of a guitar? I'm sure it is the type of wood, but what types are "bright" sounding?

Also, what is the difference in a quilt and a flame?

Unread 05-03-2002, 11:43 AM   #47
Good Grief!!!

I'd say the 614 is relatively bright and stays away from the "boominess" that, say, my 410 acoustic dreadnought has. I think that body shape/size contributes quite a bit to sound properties such as "bright" or "bassy" or whatever as well as wood types. If you live near a large guitar store, you can grab a few Taylors off the wall in succession and listen to the different tonal qualities. If you want to hear how tone is affected by body shape/size in the 600 series of Taylor, grab a 610, a 612, and a 614, and then grab their cutaway versions too. Of course, you've got to be in a large guitar store for them to have all of those hanging on the wall......

Then you can hear the wood differences by playing a 310, 410, 510, 610, 710, 810....... get the pattern?

Nate
nate95366 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-03-2002, 05:09 PM   #48

Re: Opinion seeking

Quote:
Originally posted by 3rdDayFan

Also, what is the difference in a quilt and a flame?
Flame looks like Tiger stripes

Quilt looks like bubbles.

Aaron

Here's quilt
Aaron is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-03-2002, 05:11 PM   #49

here's a flame
Unread 05-03-2002, 07:35 PM   #50

I would say my 614 ce(with quilted maple!) is very bright,or as i like to say,springy.This was one of the main reasons o chose it.I don't like to play a booomy full guitar.Especially not when onstage.The 614 cuts through tthe mix,and has a very springy sound
Unread 05-04-2002, 06:06 AM   #51
My famlily

I like to think of flame and quilt applied to NASCAR terminology.
Flame= tight
Quilt= loose
Unread 05-04-2002, 01:54 PM   #52

I think the difference between quilt and flame is just the way the wood is cut. Right?

Aaron
Unread 05-05-2002, 03:01 PM   #53
Guitar geek

Send a message via AIM to BowoW
shoot. i'd be happy getting a taylor. crazy happy. but eh.. can't work yet.. so i'm all right for now, i'm wasting my parents money plenty now.. so i'll save up later. a 314ce would be GREAT with me. I'm a huge taylor fan.. but can't afford any of them yet.. but played quite a bit of them though. i think they have one of the greatest electronics i've seen. The TRUE fisherman.. they have such a variety of tone changes.. and it looks good at the same time. electric on a guitar is a MUST for me. an awesome guitar with no electrics is almost pointless to me.

-jamie

"I am a man who has told you the truth which I heard from God.. But because I speak the truth, you don't believe me" - John 8:40;45
BowoW is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-05-2002, 05:27 PM   #54
Unregistered

hey greenmonk, you want a 914ceLTD? I found one in LR, Arkansas this weekend...I can give ya the number, address, etc etc if ya like....I played it for a while, it sounded all right...looked beautiful!!!!!! I also played my k14c!!!! but, haha, I found a 514ce instead, and it's about to go on layaway!! that 514ce is perfect! anyways, that's my weekend update! TAYLOR ROCKS!

In Christ <><

Don
Unread 05-05-2002, 06:09 PM   #55
What is a greenmonk?

Send a message via AIM to greenmonk
Don...you need to learn to sign in before you post. hehehehe :klol:

I was thinking of getting a 914c, but if I did it would be ordered at Taylorstock because I want to pick my own wood. :kgrin: Whatever guitar I end up getting will be special because of that. I'll let you all know what I order in Aug.

Jennifer :kduh:

Ovid
greenmonk is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-05-2002, 08:31 PM   #56

Send a message via AIM to rockdonnystyle Send a message via Yahoo to rockdonnystyle
oh dang...I didn't even notice...poo! but yeah, let me know! That 914c was great! soooo much volume and bass, you'll love it! btw, you know what you should get? a koa/cedar 914c...whoa, that would be a great sound, and a great look!!!! I just love cedar hahahahaha! ok, I'll stop now, see ya round yo!

In Christ <><

Don
rockdonnystyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-05-2002, 10:23 PM   #57

Quote:
Originally posted by Unregistered
I found a 514ce instead, and it's about to go on layaway!! that 514ce is perfect! anyways, that's my weekend update! TAYLOR ROCKS!
That's what I have, a 2000 514ce. I love it. Simply the best sounding guitar I've played.
nestamanchris is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-06-2002, 07:59 AM   #58
My famlily

Quote:
Originally posted by Aaron
I think the difference between quilt and flame is just the way the wood is cut. Right?

Aaron
Aaron, your right. The way the wood is cut will determine how the grain will appear. I've been learning this just from observing at my job. I haul lumber for Georgia Pacific and notice all the different types of wood and there different grades and how there cut. It's pretty amazing.
Unread 05-06-2002, 08:01 AM   #59

Send a message via AIM to rockdonnystyle Send a message via Yahoo to rockdonnystyle
Could the Taylor enthusiast thread be becoming the most popular thread on the internet? could be! INVITE UR FRIENDS!:klol:

God loves music! keep it rockin! Psalm 150!
rockdonnystyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-06-2002, 01:08 PM   #60

Maybe! I don't have any Taylor friends my age. Dang!

Aaron