Being that I am only 16 I find it hard to afford the things I want:

The big items being:

Marshall AVT150H, and AVT412 Cab
Taylor 310ce Acc/Elec Guitar

There we have 3000 dollars of stuff.

So, any tips?

Unread 04-15-2002, 06:07 PM   #2
Don't hate, I'm just good

Send a message via ICQ to Avalanche 126 Send a message via AIM to Avalanche 126 Send a message via Yahoo to Avalanche 126
well, im 16 too, but i dont have like me eyes set on actually buying all the stuff i want. u need to save up and step what u want down, sorry to break it to ya. i wanted a nice guitar when i first started but i got a little epiphone sg special. work ur way up to it. instead of a marshall cab and head, go for like a 50wtt avt combo. and instead of one of the top taylors, get a lower priced model. and if u want an acoustic then u dont really need that big a amp, an acoustic amp would be better. u gotta work around gettin ur stuff when its ur bday or christmas, ive gotten most of my stuff during that time.
Avalanche 126 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-15-2002, 06:09 PM   #3

Send a message via AIM to thesteve
haha...a taylor 310 is the lower end model...

I'm a podcaster
thesteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-15-2002, 06:39 PM   #4
Good Grief!!!

I'm assuming you already have an electric guitar and some sort of amp, as I don't believe there's that much demand for the "Taylor acoustic played through a Marshall amp" sound..........dunno though...

Nate
nate95366 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-15-2002, 06:58 PM   #5

I just turned 16 and have a Taylor 614ce and a 455ce. I paid for them both with my own money. I don't think most kids my age think the way I do but it doesn't really matter. When I was 14 I wanted a Taylor but didn't know what. I did a lot of research to find out where I could get the cheapest, mint condition Taylor. Used is the way to go if you're looking for cheap. I worked all summer mowing lawns and ended up making about $6,000. Plenty of money to buy a used Taylor. I spent $1,400 for the 614ce. Not a bad deal for guitar like that. It even had a 900 series maple upgrade. Making it retail new for about $3,500. The story on the 455ce is the same. My point of all this babbling is that you really need to work hard from what you want. I hate mowing lawns but it paid off in the end. I did whatever kind of work I could find. It was mostly yard work though. People pay you well when they see you've done what they asked and more. It's also a good way of witnessing. Showing people that you're different. Good luck! I think you'll get what you want if you work hard enough for it.

Aaron
Aaron is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-15-2002, 07:00 PM   #6

Okay! I just read my post and I make myself sound all holy. I'm really not. I just wanted a Taylor really bad. I really wasn't trying to exalt myself.

Aaron
Unread 04-15-2002, 08:24 PM   #7
My famlily

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Aaron
Okay! I just read my post and I make myself sound all holy. I'm really not. I just wanted a Taylor really bad. I really wasn't trying to exalt myself.[/QUOTE

Lol! Aaron I gotta say your one of a kind. I wish more kids your age would have your work ethic. It seems in this day and age everyone wants something for nothing, and ther not willing to work for it. I really commend you for going out and working hard for what you wanted. Believe me when your young is the time to do things like this, I'm 37 with 2 kids a wife and a mortgage and I just barely scraped enough for a new guitar this year.
Unread 04-15-2002, 08:41 PM   #8
A Random Guy

Send a message via AIM to R2D2
I know where you've been. Just now, for the first time since I started playing guitar (which has been almost 7 years!), there's nothing currently on my want list. I have a great electric guitar, amp, acoustic, and all the effects I need at this point. Total value: approx. $3500. So here's my advice:

1. Get a job, and start saving up. Live as frugally as you reasonably can. If you're always buying fast food, it'll take you much longer to save up.

2. I recommend not buying anything new, unless you get an insanely good deal on it. You can save tons of money on used gear - I've saved about $2000 by buying used gear. Both of my main guitars, my amp and several of my effects pedals were purchased used. If you end up deciding to sell anything you get, new gear will always have depreciated in value, while used gear could potentially appreciate. Keep your eyes open for good deals used. They tend to spring themselves on you when you're not expecting them.

3. If you are sure you want to play guitar for life, save up and buy the high end gear. Don't buy something mid range unless you really really need something now and can't wait. Many people start with a $200 guitar, upgrade to a $400 model, upgrade again to a $1000 model and end up finding their keeper at a $2000 model. They could have saved $1400 if they had simply waited and bought the $2000 guitar when the opportunity came alongl. If you are sure you're going to play for life, wait and go for the high end gear. You will save yourself money in the end and be more satisfied with your gear.
Unread 04-15-2002, 09:27 PM   #9

Unhappy a good point, but.....

A good point, but....

the difference is being able to play now or 4 years from now. My humble beginning means that I can play today (with a guitar that my wife bought me for my birthday) and I can start learning NOW or I can wait for who knows how long until I save up the money for the guitar that I want. Mine isn't the best but it will outplay me anyday now and probably for awhile. But in a few years, I'll still have this one and be able to get another high dollar one and I'll really be able to play it!!!

So, I think you should get a guitar now and then skip a few steps (intermediate guitars) and start saving toward the guitar of your dreams. In the meantime, you'll be playing NOW.

Of course, all of this might be wasted space if you can earn the money in a reasonable amount of time. If this is the case, then by all means don't hesitate to get your dream guitar first. Everybody here loves to see pics of Aaron's guitars and wish we had done similar when we were his age.

JLK
spookyjoe_usaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-15-2002, 11:45 PM   #10
A Random Guy

Send a message via AIM to R2D2
I was assuming that he already has a guitar. Notice I said "if you're sure that you're going to play guitar for life." I would think anyone who knows they're going play for life would already have a guitar they are playing on now. But if you don't have a guitar now, then by all means, go ahead and get one. Do look used though - when you look to upgrade, you'll be able to sell a used guitar back for close to its original purchase price, and you'll get a better instrument for less $.
Unread 04-16-2002, 11:18 AM   #11
Good Grief!!!

Used is definitely the way to go, just as long as you bring along a set of trained eyes and ears to help you do the shopping if you're inexperienced.

Nate
nate95366 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-16-2002, 01:53 PM   #12
Don't hate, I'm just good

Send a message via ICQ to Avalanche 126 Send a message via AIM to Avalanche 126 Send a message via Yahoo to Avalanche 126
sorry! didnt know how pricey that model was. im not into all the acoustics. but yea i agree with everyone, get a job and save, or go for the cheaper stuff so u can sell it or more to get another but much better guitar. i traded 2 low end guitars for my bc rich. so its all gravy! aaron is just a lucky person! i wish i had that kinda money man.
Avalanche 126 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-16-2002, 02:00 PM   #13

Mowing lawns may not be the hardest work you can find but when you're out mowing 40 lawns a week in 100+ degree weather it tends to get tiresome. I live in the desert you have to remember.

Lucky?? I'm not so sure.

Aaron
Unread 04-16-2002, 05:07 PM   #14

Send a message via ICQ to leerobin
Aaron..... at your age you are making big bucks!!! Wonder can you help me get a job for this summer? I don't mind working under hot sun, Malaysia have been hot all year round. With that money I don't have to worry about my next 2 semesters.
leerobin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-16-2002, 09:21 PM   #15

Hehe! You can e-mail me at aaron@jobsearch.com. lol Anyone need a job and I'll hook ya up. lol

Aaron