Go Back   Christian Guitar Forum > Musicians > Guitar
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 05-10-2002, 02:53 PM   #91

I too had 800-1000 bucks to spend on a acoustic guitar.Then spent 2 hours in The Guitar Center playing the different makes and models in that price range. I walked out with a Taylor 314. My biggest concern was that it didn't have a built in pickup but then I thought in 10 years that pickup might not sound as good as a modern day soundhole pickup. So why risk a pickup that might bring down the value of a Taylor (or any other good guitar) in 10 years when I can get a top of the line soundhole pickup and keep the 314 consistently sounding sweet. Most soundhole pickups can be put in or taken out without modifing the guitar therefore keeping it original.

bztick is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Unread 05-10-2002, 03:43 PM   #92
Good Grief!!!

Quote:
Most soundhole pickups can be put in or taken out without modifing the guitar therefore keeping it original.
Most ribbon/mic systems require 1 hole, which really doesn't change a whole lot from "original." And one can often swap out an older ribbon/mic system for a newer one without drilling new holes.

Nate
nate95366 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-10-2002, 04:45 PM   #93

Anytime someone drills a hole in a top notch guitar (unless its done at the factory)it brings down the value. And if you really think you can swap out a pickup 10 years down the road and everything line up exactly you've got another thing coming.
bztick is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-10-2002, 05:02 PM   #94

Quote:
Originally posted by bztick
Anytime someone drills a hole in a top notch guitar (unless its done at the factory)it brings down the value. And if you really think you can swap out a pickup 10 years down the road and everything line up exactly you've got another thing coming.
I think I would have to disagree. Taylor is a great company and I don't they would be selling Taylors with on-board electronics knowing that in ten years fishman might switch sizes. I know Taylor doesn't make the electronics(fishman does) but I'll bet that if they do make a size change they will continue to make something that fits. Trust me, they won't just say, "Oh sorry about that size change, I guess you'll just have to buy a new guitar." They know that they will be able to sell upgrade electronics to people with old ones. I don't think they'll leave us hangin'.

About the value going down, go check your retail price list on those Taylors. I think you'll find that the ones with the "big ugly hole" (as some people call it lol) cost more. Right now there are more people buying Taylors that want on-board electronics than those that don't. That's why Taylor is making electronics standard on most models. People will always be able to get a Taylor without. The number of electronicless Taylors hangin' up on the walls of Taylor dealers are decreseing.

Anyway, my .04

Aaron

Last edited by Aaron; 05-10-2002 at 05:09 PM.
Aaron is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-10-2002, 05:31 PM   #95
Good Grief!!!

Quote:
I guess I've got another thing coming! Of course, I've had my pickup in for 5 years already (an LR Baggs Ribbon) and I hope that it will still be putting out the same sweet tone 5 years from now (maintainance: a 9v battery change once per year).

I'm not a big fan of cutting into the side of a guitar, btw. I think that if someone's going to go with an onboard that requires a side-mounted control-pack, they should buy a guitar that was built that way or have it done by a total expert.

Either way, I like to get some use out of my guitar and be able to move around at the same time. To get really good tone without drilling a hole, one either has to:

a) mic it. which usually also means "stand totally motionless on stage"

b) get a Sunrise system, not just the pickup.

The Sunrise system is quite a bit more $$$ than the Baggs Ribbon, or even the (more recent) Baggs Duo or IBeam.

I'd say the only line of thought that could convince me to not ever drill a small hole in my guitar to make it more useful would be something like, "Hey, someday the Antiques Road Show will come to your hometown and, like, the value of your guitar will be way lower if it's got an old-fashioned ribbon pickup in it."

I'm pretty sure I'll be more glad to have used my guitar to do what I do. Won't know for certain until the guitar's an antique, though, I guess......???

Nate
nate95366 is offline   Reply With Quote