Go Back   Christian Guitar Forum > Musicians > Guitar
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 04-29-2002, 01:31 PM   #61
Good Grief!!!

For those of you with Taylor tunnel-vision *cough* *Aaron* *cough*, Gibson/Epiphone make some very nice acoustic guitars. Some very famous guitarists play them, if that adds any credibility to the statement....

Nate

nate95366 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Unread 04-29-2002, 02:30 PM   #62
Guitar geek

Send a message via AIM to BowoW
Quote:
Originally posted by nate95366
For those of you with Taylor tunnel-vision *cough* *Aaron* *cough*, Gibson/Epiphone make some very nice acoustic guitars. Some very famous guitarists play them, if that adds any credibility to the statement....

Nate
they're all right.. but i hate how gibson always tries to make them LOOK good.. they over do it at times.. like those hummingbirds.. i mean.. yea they're unique. .but geez.. what's up with that bridge.

- i buy guitars .. to PLAY them.. not to freak out everytime somebody touches them.

-jamie

"I am a man who has told you the truth which I heard from God.. But because I speak the truth, you don't believe me" - John 8:40;45
BowoW is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-29-2002, 04:15 PM   #63

Send a message via AIM to rockdonnystyle Send a message via Yahoo to rockdonnystyle
seagulls are really nice sounding guitars, but In my opinion I think the Taylor 314ce or 414ce match some of the higher line seagulls...I have played many....sound is an opinion though....

also, the seagulls, unless you get an artist series, have a satin finish, that...espically if you have a solid cedar top, is NOT good if you are a strummer, I have a few friends who have put a hole in their cedar top after a year of owning it

the taylors have gloss finishes that make it last a whole lot longer! but hey, if you can find some extra money to waste, go higher end Taylor...I don't think you can find anything better!

God loves music! keep it rockin! Psalm 150!
rockdonnystyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-29-2002, 05:47 PM   #64
CLEMSON ROCKS!

Send a message via AIM to JB2001-
I still say Taylor!

!!!!!CLEMSON BASEBALL RULES!!!!!
JB2001- is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-29-2002, 06:14 PM   #65

Send a message via AIM to lopar
I haven't played too many of the other brands to know, but I just got a Tacoma Chief C1C, and, man, that thing is beautiful. Just an amazing guitar, great tone, great looks, everything. Just beautiful. So I put my vote in for Tacoma. Check one out sometime. :kgrin:

In Christ,
me
- Jason Neufeld (Phil. 3:12)

<i>Guitaristic Instruments of Consequence:</i>
<ol>
<li>'02 Taylor 514ce
<li>'05 Fender Custom Shop Daphne Blue NOS 60 Stratocaster
<li>'06 Fender 60th Anniversary American Stratocaster
<li>'02 Baby Taylor
<li>200? Schecter Diamond Custom Natural 5-string Bass
</ol>

<i>Other Instruments of Consequence:</li>
<ol>
<li>Roland Fantom X6 61-key Sampling Synthesizer
<li>10-string graphite Chapman Stick
</ol>
lopar is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-29-2002, 10:15 PM   #66

Quote:

Nate
You're right Nate, but I've never played a epiphone that had a neck I could work with. The action was always way high and the sound was worse. I've only played about five so i could be way off but I really think they suck. It's my opinion but I've never played a Gibson that sounded as good as like a Les Paul. They seem to make great electrics but fall down on the job for acoustics. Once again, my opinion! lol

Aaron
Aaron is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-30-2002, 01:06 AM   #67
Good Grief!!!

Although I'm a Taylor owner, I have a pretty high opinion of most Gibson acoustics. The only one I've ever played consistently was my cousin's 1942 Gibson classical - that was a sweet guitar!!! (and my cousin didn't even know it was that nice - he picked it up for cheap at a garage sale and then proceeded to beat it up pretty bad). Anyway, I've played a number of very nice Gibby acoustics. Their necks feel a little "fat" right up next to a Taylor, but with the right adjustments, the action was wonderful and the sound was up there too. Of course, these are their $1500 instruments I'm talking about, and I'm still not sure that I'd prefer them over my $750 Taylor.......so maybe you've got a point.

Epiphone acoustics are great for another purpose - they're absolute tanks with great electronics. You can beat them up, leave them in the cold, and they still refuse to rebel. All (usually) for less than $500!

Nate
Unread 05-01-2002, 12:14 AM   #68

Send a message via AIM to leadworshipper
Hehe...well i dont know what you mean about DMB having a questionable ear for tone...if you think a martin anything sounds better than a 914, you're nuts.
DMB did use a chet atkins at one point...up until before these crowded streets came out, he used a chet atkins for his live and studio sessions.
Gibsons are great acoustics, but their high end stuff can't touch Taylor's mid/high. Gibson's action is kind of high and unresponsive...i like their jumbo body stylings though. I've been debating picking up a j-100 for a play around guitar...but for 1100, i already have a 314kce...and the Taylor plays better.
Epiphones are a great value for beginners, the j150S is a great guitar.
I dont think any Taylor enthusiast would say every guitar sucks, taylor is better, but i'm sure we'd all say after playing Gibsons and Martins, we'd always come back to Taylor. And for good reason.

-lw
leadworshipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-01-2002, 07:32 AM   #69

Send a message via AIM to rockdonnystyle Send a message via Yahoo to rockdonnystyle
Amen to that, I'd come back to Taylor anyday....and I have a Martin....an HD-28 for that matter, which sounds great!! but, Taylors are the best thing out there...in my opinion....looks wise and sound wise! but hey, play what speaks to you!:kgrin:

Unread 05-01-2002, 10:10 AM   #70
Good Grief!!!

Quote:
Hehe...well i dont know what you mean about DMB having a questionable ear for tone...if you think a martin anything sounds better than a 914, you're nuts.
Even though I do own a Taylor, I think that I must be nuts. :kgrin: I've played some Martin guitars (granted, well out of reasonable price range) that sounded better to me than Taylor's 914 (also well out of reasonable price range).

Quote:
Gibsons are great acoustics, but their high end stuff can't touch Taylor's mid/high. Gibson's action is kind of high and unresponsive...
Interestingly enough, there are many guitarists who prefer higher action (and action can always be easily lowered on just about any guitar if you're of a different mindset). Unresponsive??? That must have something to do with high action......unless Gibson now makes guitars with rubber frets or something.

Quote:
I dont think any Taylor enthusiast would say every guitar sucks, taylor is better, but i'm sure we'd all say after playing Gibsons and Martins, we'd always come back to Taylor. And for good reason.
I hear ya. I just think that a lot of Taylor enthusiasts celebrate the action and playability of their guitars too much, not realizing how easy those things are to change on any guitar (even a Wal-Mart special) and not realizing the broad spectrum of likes/dislikes about action/playability that is present among accomplished guitarists.

Nate
Unread 05-01-2002, 10:16 AM   #71

Itís all about tone and playability, when you find the one thatís just an extension of you body you buy it no matter what name is on it, if you have to mortgage the house, well thatís part of the game most artist die unknown and poor.

Peace
Unread 05-01-2002, 06:57 PM   #72

Quote:

I hear ya. I just think that a lot of Taylor enthusiasts celebrate the action and playability of their guitars too much, not realizing how easy those things are to change on any guitar (even a Wal-Mart special) and not realizing the broad spectrum of likes/dislikes about action/playability that is present among accomplished guitarists.

Nate
yeah the action can be changed on any guitar. so then it goes back to sound. and from there personal preference. i don't like taylor sound, other do. there are just so many variables about what makes a great sounding guitar that you really can't say this one is the best because it may really be set up wrong.

one thing i've seen with the few taylors that i've tried is that they are a bit more inconsistent. one will be nice than another will be really bad. whereas i've played both low and high end martins and they are more consistent to each other.

but that's just my opinion.
GMartin2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-01-2002, 09:44 PM   #73

I've played about a million Martins and a Million taylors, and the martins are the inconsistant guitars all the time...my dad has a long celebrated 93' Martin HD-28 which is a dream guitar, but I haven't found a martin like it yet....or anywhere close...every taylor I have played has been very very consistant, excellent intonation and action, even the lower end taylors, which are all soild wood as opposed to really low line martins, play like a dream...I would recommend a Taylor anyday

as for Gibsons...well, I am extremely disappointed, but there are many guitar makers that are very consistant Laviree(however you spell that), seagulls for the price have proved to be very good guitars, and even Tacoma, well, at least the Tacomas that look like normal acoustics, not the ones with off-center soundholes, haha...I hate that!

but it's all about personal opinion, you could take a fallen limb and put some strings on it....and if you like the action and sound, it's a find! it's all an opinion
God doesn't really care what ya worship him with

Unread 05-01-2002, 10:36 PM   #74

I dissagree that ALL guitars are adjustable. My friend has an old Martin D28 with no truss rod. Most guitars made today have a truss rod but that's not the way it's always been.

I know you don't need a truss rod to adjust a guitar's action but it can help a lot for those small adjustments after you change strings and you think there might be a slight bit of buzzing(or whatever).

I think you should just built it right in the first place. Adjust everything at the factory and let the person buying the guitar make that last little adjustment with the truss rod. Some people may like working on their guitars but I would rather PLAY it. lol

I also like the NT neck on Taylors. If you don't know about it have Taylor send you a FREE video all about it. Makes adjusting your guitar so much easier and makes the neck a lot stronger. Okay. I'm done now. lol

Aaron
Aaron is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-02-2002, 09:44 AM   #75
Good Grief!!!

Quote:
I dissagree that ALL guitars are adjustable. My friend has an old Martin D28 with no truss rod. Most guitars made today have a truss rod but that's not the way it's always been.
That must be one relic of a guitar. Any steel string guitar made since WWII should have a truss rod in it, and probably does.

Quote:
I think you should just built it right in the first place. Adjust everything at the factory and let the person buying the guitar make that last little adjustment with the truss rod. Some people may like working on their guitars but I would rather PLAY it. lol
We're talking about adjustments that take very little time here....this is almost tantamount to saying "Some might like waxing their car once a year but I'd rather DRIVE it." I suppose if that's the case, you might "shop" yourself out of some really nice sounding guitars just to end up with a really nice "playing" guitar. Your loss.

Quote:
I also like the NT neck on Taylors. If you don't know about it have Taylor send you a FREE video all about it. Makes adjusting your guitar so much easier and makes the neck a lot stronger. Okay. I'm done now. lol
I like the NT neck as well. Got the video. Very nice thing to have just in case you're in the habit of switching the setup of your guitar a lot, from, say a close, fingerstyle to a slide. That's something that the neck angle needs to change for. Unless you really warp your neck or become a professional guitarist who only likes to own one guitar and play 14 different styles, you probably won't ever need to adjust the shimming in an NT neck.

Nate