Go Back   Christian Guitar Forum > Musicians > Guitar
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 04-15-2002, 02:55 PM   #16
Good Grief!!!

Yeah, the above comment about Takamine guitars has not been true to my experience with them at all. Most low end Taylor guitars that I've played are (to me) preferrable to the higher end Taks. From my experience, the rule of thumb for Taks is that if you want to spend less than $600 and get decent built-in electronics, they're very nice. For other applications, they're endorsed by Garth Brooks but not even that's enough to sway the vote of my ears.

Nate

nate95366 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Unread 04-15-2002, 03:10 PM   #17
Unregistered

Smile

I can't stand Garth Brooks I just want one with a nice bright sound and not dull like the one i have now.
Unread 04-15-2002, 05:00 PM   #18
see ya!

I have a Larrivee and a Takamine, both bought for around $1000.

The Takamine is easier to play, but the Larrivee has a better sound.

When I was comparing the Larrivee with the Martin guitars for about the same price, I went for the Larrivee, and I'm really glad I did.
imclayinaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-15-2002, 08:37 PM   #19
My famlily

For around $600 you could get a Fender GA-45SCE. I just got one a little over a month ago. I was going to buy a Taylor 314ce, but could afford it. I found the Fender and played it and was quite surprised at how well it stacks up to the Taylor. Oh BTW if you go to Fenders website and look at the picture of it, it looks nothing like it in person. Those are horrible pics they have. Mine is stunning. :kgrin:
Unread 04-15-2002, 09:11 PM   #20
We Will Play FOREVER

Quote:
Originally posted by nate95366
Yeah, the above comment about Takamine guitars has not been true to my experience with them at all. Most low end Taylor guitars that I've played are (to me) preferrable to the higher end Taks. From my experience, the rule of thumb for Taks is that if you want to spend less than $600 and get decent built-in electronics, they're very nice. For other applications, they're endorsed by Garth Brooks but not even that's enough to sway the vote of my ears.

Nate
I agree with Nate on this one. I would never spend a grand for a Takamine. Now if you are talking about a 400-700 dollar price range then Takamine is one of the best in this range.
Unread 04-16-2002, 10:24 AM   #21
Servant

If the original questions was something like "I have $1000 to spend, what should I look at?" my answer is to look at Takamine, too. Nothing wrong with Taylors & Martins, but from my limited experience FOR THE MONEY you need to look at Takamine.

I'm not real up on model numbers, etc, but I'll try. A friend of mine recently got something like an ean-15c for about $1k. It is a wonderful instrument - rich, full sound plugged or unplugged. Another friend got one (something like fd360sc maybe?) that is s fine guitar, though I am not wild about the digital electronics, for less than that. I have a 1994 model Sante Fe (psf-48 I think, over the budget new, but I got mine used for much less), which is a super guitar plugged or unplugged. I believe all these models are rosewood, which I prefer.

Several years ago (3-4?) a friend in my church got a Taylor (3-something, don't remember and they've probably changed since then) for about $1100 new (case & all) that sounded tinny and cheap compared to the others, both plugged and acoustic. (Of course he liked it a lot - personal preferences again.)

Our worship leader plays a Martin D35, and another friend has a Taylor 8-something. Takamine does not make a guitar to compare to those instruments, but then again you can't get them for $1k either.

I in no way meant to offend Taylor or Martin fans here. Merely answering the question of where I personally would try to find the best value if I had $1k to spend.
Unread 04-16-2002, 10:34 AM   #22
Love God, Love Others.

I don't think you would be disappointed with the Martin D-2R. It is a very nice guitar and it is right around the price you are talking about. With that said...

To sound like a broken record, you need to try different guitars to see what YOU like. Coming on here and asking questions is fine and all, but it should NEVER replace the need to try a guitar for yourseld to see what you personally like, not what someone on here likes

I like Martins over many other guitars. Some people don't like Martins as much. There are many good guitars out there. Just find one that you like and go with it.
"There is nothing wrong with being an amateur theologian or a professional theologian, but there is everything wrong with being an ignorant or sloppy theologian. Therefore every Christian should read theology." -- Ryrie

I have failed as a worship leader if people leave saying, "Worship was great today" instead of saying, "I am completely in awe of God's glory!"
BIGFATJAM is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-16-2002, 11:04 AM   #23
Good Grief!!!

Quote:
Several years ago (3-4?) a friend in my church got a Taylor (3-something, don't remember and they've probably changed since then) for about $1100 new (case & all) that sounded tinny and cheap compared to the others, both plugged and acoustic. (Of course he liked it a lot - personal preferences again.)
That guitar is what we would call an "anomaly." If there's any "bad" rep that Taylor 3 series guitars have in the sound department, it's "boominess" or "bass-heavy," but up until now I've never heard "tinny" describe a Taylor 3 or 4 (when 4's where mahogany, like mine...) series guitar.

That said, when shopping for guitars it's always prudent to take your ears along with you and use them. You can't just waltz into guitar center and say "gimme a Taylor" or "gimme a Takamine" and expect to always come away with the best sounding instrument in your market. I only selected my Taylor after playing about 30 different guitars of all sorts of manufacturers over a several-week period....

Nate
nate95366 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-16-2002, 11:21 AM   #24
Unregistered

My problem is I have to drive 40 miles to the nearsest store to play guitars like that. I was just wondering what brands would get talked about the most so I could try those out first.
Unread 04-16-2002, 12:34 PM   #25

Nate is the wise one....

The best guitar for $1000?

It's the one that you have the ability to get, staying with the brands with known reputations for quality. The one that you have played and know that it feels good in your hands and is comfortable and capable of your style of playing; with the ability to maybe challenge you to expand. And you've listened to it and know that it sounds good to your ear.

The best guitar is yours...

Mine just happens to be a Martin SPD16.

Music, especially to a guitar player, is probably the most poweful addiction there is. As if under the influence of the most addictive drug around, a guitar player can forget all that is around him. While he plays, the pressures of the job, or everyday life, just simply fade away.
BROKE HOSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-16-2002, 12:37 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally posted by Unregistered
My problem is I have to drive 40 miles to the nearsest store to play guitars like that. I was just wondering what brands would get talked about the most so I could try those out first.
Taylor, Martin, Larrivee

I agree with Nate. I've never heard a 3xx or 4xx that was tinny. Could have been the strings. My 455ce has a quite a bit of bass. If you have any other friends with 3xx or 4xx Taylors, go play them. If you don't, go find the smallest Taylor dealer you can and go play the 3 are 4 series. The small dealers take better care of their Taylors than GC and all the other chains.

Aaron
Aaron is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-16-2002, 11:16 PM   #27

I've played bad taylors but never a bad martin.

Quote:
Mine just happens to be a Martin SPD16
What does the SP stand for?

Quote:
I don't think you would be disappointed with the Martin D-2R
No you won't. I like it more than the model that it was apparently created to mimic so to speak... the D-28.
GMartin2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-17-2002, 08:50 AM   #28

In Martin nomenclature, the SP shows it has "special appointments". What it comes down to is that my guitar is, like other 16 series, made with solid woods, and hybrid bracing; the D denotes a dreadnought body size/style, and the SP's have little things that don't necessarily make them sound better, but they are pretty. Such as Abolone Pearl rosette and fingerboard inlays, a mosaic back inlay, gold plated tuners, and the tortise colored pickguard.

You can find several explinations of the Martin product codes in a thread at "The Unofficial Martin Guitar Forum", located at:

http://pub55.ezboard.com/ftheunoffic...opicID=3.topic

Music, especially to a guitar player, is probably the most poweful addiction there is. As if under the influence of the most addictive drug around, a guitar player can forget all that is around him. While he plays, the pressures of the job, or everyday life, just simply fade away.
BROKE HOSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-17-2002, 11:13 PM   #29

oh okay.
GMartin2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-18-2002, 07:59 AM   #30

Gibson makes a Working Man's version of the J45, which can be had for around $1000. Great Guitar!
dakota is offline   Reply With Quote