Go Back   Christian Guitar Forum > Hobbies & Entertainment > Automotive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 12-27-2020, 05:48 PM   #16
El Mateo

Quote:
Originally Posted by mulletman View Post
Lol. I could have used many examples, I just picked that one.
I believe this like I believe someone who spends billions of dollars to get a job that pays less than $500k per year.

Quote:
I could also K swap an Elise, but acquisition costs are high. Really high.
It seems that fun actually has a price.

Quote:
This whole nonsense started when I realized that if I sold everything, I could probably buy a GT-R or a 911.
I hate doing that kind of math.

mattslope is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Unread 12-27-2020, 06:56 PM   #17
recovering user

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattslope View Post
I believe this like I believe someone who spends billions of dollars to get a job that pays less than $500k per year.

It seems that fun actually has a price.

I hate doing that kind of math.
I think I'm actually past the break-even point on the job thing! Finally!

Fun indeed has a price. There was a moment when the Elise depreciated to about 25k, but those days are gone.
mulletman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-27-2020, 08:28 PM   #18
El Mateo

Quote:
I think I'm actually past the break-even point on the job thing! Finally!
I meant politicians, but I'm glad to know that pilots are untrustworthy too.

Quote:
Fun indeed has a price. There was a moment when the Elise depreciated to about 25k, but those days are gone.
Right?! I started hunting for them about a month ago and good ones cost more than a V6 Camry.
Unread 12-27-2020, 10:59 PM   #19
recovering user

Quote:
Right?! I started hunting for them about a month ago and good ones cost more than a V6 Camry.
I'd just like to emphasize how much this illustrates the insanity of car pricing.
Unread 12-28-2020, 01:08 AM   #20
El Mateo

Quote:
I'd just like to emphasize how much this illustrates the insanity of car pricing.
I know you'll hate this, and possibly hate me for it, but the truth is that a Toyota Camry is always the car someone should buy. Reliable, fuel efficient, safe, etc. I know, they aren't fun. But they're always the "right" car to buy. When I meet another dummy who's considering an SUV, I always make an argument for a Camry instead. Same with a first car. Buy as much Camry as you can afford.

The exception is if you want fun.
Unread 12-28-2020, 10:00 AM   #21
Rey de CGR
Administrator

paid
Quote:
I know you'll hate this, and possibly hate me for it, but the truth is that a Toyota Camry is always the car someone should buy. Reliable, fuel efficient, safe, etc. I know, they aren't fun. But they're always the "right" car to buy. When I meet another dummy who's considering an SUV, I always make an argument for a Camry instead. Same with a first car. Buy as much Camry as you can afford.

Or a Highlander.

Technically a crossover (which is a really broad spectrum these days), but it has decent gas mileage, tons of space for all the crap one has to haul around with small children, and a good safety rating.

...But, on topic, I also have a 2012 Corolla S with a manual transmission, and I'm not going to get rid of it until it dies . I love clutches.

Donate blood and save up to three lives! Skeptical or curious about the facts? Please click here and find out from the experts!
DaGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-28-2020, 10:19 AM   #22
and you were wondering??
Administrator

paid
Camrys really are the best. Had one with over 300k miles and it was still chugging along quite reliably.

Unfortunately, Gave it away to a relative who was a "big truck" kinda person. So, he hated it and purposely destroyed it.

Yes... I am the official "Knight Who Will Write Something On Derrida".
Bask in the wonderful glory.

"outside of a dog a book is a man's best friend... inside a dog it is too dark to read."
-groucho marx

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demon_Hunter View Post
Taylor, you just got drive-by theologied.
Dr. Thrunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-28-2020, 10:39 AM   #23
El Mateo

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaGeek View Post
Or a Highlander.

Technically a crossover (which is a really broad spectrum these days), but it has decent gas mileage, tons of space for all the crap one has to haul around with small children, and a good safety rating.
Sorry, SUVs and crossovers are always the wrong answer, unless you need ground clearance beyond what a Camry offers.

Quote:
...But, on topic, I also have a 2012 Corolla S with a manual transmission, and I'm not going to get rid of it until it dies . I love clutches.
Yes. Fully agreed.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Thrunk View Post
Camrys really are the best. Had one with over 300k miles and it was still chugging along quite reliably.

Unfortunately, Gave it away to a relative who was a "big truck" kinda person. So, he hated it and purposely destroyed it.
Brodozer culture has ruined more than Camrys, unfortunately.
Unread 12-28-2020, 04:24 PM   #24
recovering user

Quote:

Meh.. Kinda. I wouldn't say "buy as much camry as you can afford." I'd say "buy the best value Japanese economy vehicle you can."

A $4-5k Civic/Corolla/Camry/Accord/etc is a good bet. Getting a cheap one that will still run forever is the best path to having budget space for a fun vehicle that now doesn't have to actually be good a doing any job other than being fun. Fun/sporty/unreliable/project vehicles are only fun when you don't have to rely on them. Different tools for different jobs and all. My motorcycle would be a miserable only vehicle.

A fork is a fork, a knife is a knife. A spork is good at nothing.
Unread 12-28-2020, 04:57 PM   #25
El Mateo

Quote:
Meh.. Kinda. I wouldn't say "buy as much camry as you can afford." I'd say "buy the best value Japanese economy vehicle you can."

A $4-5k Civic/Corolla/Camry/Accord/etc is a good bet. Getting a cheap one that will still run forever is the best path to having budget space for a fun vehicle that now doesn't have to actually be good a doing any job other than being fun. Fun/sporty/unreliable/project vehicles are only fun when you don't have to rely on them. Different tools for different jobs and all. My motorcycle would be a miserable only vehicle.

A fork is a fork, a knife is a knife. A spork is good at nothing.
I have now changed my mind. Thanks for that.

Sidenote: you have any TRD parts for my Camry?