Go Back   Christian Guitar Forum > Musicians > Recording & Live Sound
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 04-24-2020, 08:23 AM   #1
and you were wondering??
Administrator

paid
Free Software

Hey, does anyone know any free software that can be used to create simple songs? I mean something where I can work on chiptune type stuff?

Yes... I am the official "Knight Who Will Write Something On Derrida".
Bask in the wonderful glory.

"outside of a dog a book is a man's best friend... inside a dog it is too dark to read."
-groucho marx

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demon_Hunter View Post
Taylor, you just got drive-by theologied.
Dr. Thrunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Unread 04-24-2020, 12:32 PM   #2
Evangelical & Fundamental
Administrator

paid
Audacity
Unread 04-26-2020, 07:23 AM   #3
Kind of tall

paid
Ardour is incredible
Laguna Master is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-26-2020, 08:06 AM   #4
Post Prehistoric

paid
Send a message via Skype™ to AlphaSigma
Garage Band.
“Life is a river. Rivers are always changing. We are always supposed to be changing, evolving, and growing, always supposed to be getting deeper in our relationship with God. There’s always more to go, always more to grow, always more to learn.”
AlphaSigma is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-27-2020, 07:56 AM   #5
and you were wondering??
Administrator

paid
Thanks y'all!

And yeah. Ive played around with Garage Band before. But, I dont have any Apple products, unfortunately

"outside of a dog a book is a man's best friend... inside a dog it is too dark to read."
-groucho marx

Quote:
Unread 04-27-2020, 09:58 AM   #6
Admιnιstrator

Audacity is probably the most popular free one
- Carl Martin Quattro (Purchased 2009-2010) - Cleanup 2020
- Godin Icon Type2 Convertible Natural 2011 (Purchased 2011)
- Koch Twintone II (Purchased 30/12/2011) - New tubes 2020 - FOR SALE
- Charango El Chasqui (Purchased 2012)
- Fender Paramount PM-3 Deluxe Triple 0 (Purchased 01/03/2017)
- Shure SE846 (Purchased 25/11/2019)
- Line 6 Helix (Purchased 21/01/2020)
Giuseppe is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-28-2020, 06:47 PM   #7
and you were wondering??
Administrator

paid
Thanks all!

Btw, I found this pretty cool free programme that is really fun.

You have to check it out!

beepbox.co

-groucho marx

Quote:
Unread 09-08-2020, 12:36 AM   #8
What do now?

Greetings my good doctor. I'm sorry to be late to this party! Here are some free tools you should check out, if you haven't already!

THE DAW

Uninstall whatever you're using right now and go get CAKEWALK by Bandlab.

Quote:
Cakewalk by BandLab is, essentially, SONAR Platinum without the bundled third-party software. And it is now a free DAW for all Windows users. Yes, you read that right, everyone can now use the flagship version of SONAR for free. It comes with all the core features of the original SONAR digital audio workstation, including its fantastic native effects (limiters, equalizers, compressors, etc.), analog console-style virtual mixer, VST plugin support, multi-touch support, Bluetooth MIDI, and more.

On the negative side, you will need to install the BandLab Assistant software first and also sign up for a free BandLab user account. But there are no nagging ads or other annoyances to worry about. The software is fast, reliable, and ready to use on your Windows machine. It is still being developed by some of the leading members of the SONAR development team. Users who want the closest thing to a traditional digital audio workstation should choose Cakewalk by BandLab as their free DAW.
Hands down, cakewalk is THE single best free DAW available. Period. It's fully functioning and has full support for VST plugins.

https://www.bandlab.com/products/cakewalk

That said, if you've got $80 to drop, I'd suggest buying Reaper, as it's feature-packed, incredibly powerful, lightweight, highly customizable, and you can easily find tutorials online for how to do anything in it. I personally use Reaper for my business. Oh yes, and it comes with a full suite of honestly decent plugins for free.

THE (FREE) PLUGINS

There are a ton of free VST plugins out there. Some are AMAZING, and others are JUNK. I'm going to list some great ones here, along with descriptions of what they do. These are in no particular order, btw.

1. Izotope Vocal Doubler - Seriously, this thing is pretty great. Does exactly what the name says. Doubles your vocals pretty quickly.

2. Izotope Vinyl - While you're there, grab this one too. Really fun flavor-adding tool.

3. TDR Nova - Hands down the best free dynamic EQ plugin I've ever found. Very comparable to Waves F6, but without having to deal with the nightmarish rabbit hole that is Waves.

4. Softube Saturation Knob - Add some spice and sizzle to your tracks with this. I personally use this plugin - it's great!

5. Rough Rider by Audio Damage - Vintage warm-style compressor with a bit of bite.

6. Wider by Polyverse - Actually just found this one recently and am looking forward to trying it out. Stereo widening without phase issues.

7. PanCake by Cableguys - Lets you get weird panning fun. Nothing you can't really do through regular automation, but still fun and a good tool to have in your bag.

8. Freeamp by Klevgrand - Nothing overly special here, but free is free. Flavor plugin.

9. Voxengo Span - Frequency Spectral Analyzer. Doesn't actually do anything, but if you want to see a spectral analysis of your sound, this is a great tool.

10. SPLICE has a nice library of free plugins here. So if you're not sure, check it out. There are a lot more in there.

11. Valhalla Freq Echo - Let me tell you, Valhalla's reverb and delay plugins are among my favorites to ever exist. You won't be disappointed in this one.

12. Bittersweet by Flux - Transient shaper, free, and actually really good. Very very similar to a plugin I actually paid for (now I wish I had tried this one first!)

13. PTEQ-X Not my cup of tea, but a decent sounding tube EQ emulator nontheless. Personally I'd just stick with TDR Nova for now until you really understand EQ.

14. A list of the best free Reverb plugins - Because you need good reverb too.

15. A List of the 8 Best Free Delay Plugins - Because you also need good delay options.

THE (FREE) SYNTHS & VIRTUAL INSTRUMENTS

I'm not really big on synths myself (I have some, but don't do a whole ton with them) so I'm not sure about all of these, but I might download them and start playing with them myself as well. You can never have too many virtual instruments.

1. Tyrell by U-He

2.M-Lite by Amplesound - Who doesn't like a good midi acoustic guitar?

3. MT DRUM KIT 2 - You need a virtual drum kit? You got a virtual drum kit. While it's not perfect, it does the job.

Want a better drum set? Try Drumforge from JST. It's not free, but it's pretty powerful and you can get TONS of different drum kits for it. It's also what I personally use in my own work.

4. FREE VIRTUAL GUITAR PEDALS from Mercuriall. I just found this and will be downloading it myself.

5. Spitfire Labs - Spitfire have a plethora of free virtual instruments and synths. And they're all pretty decent.

6. Helm - Another free synth

7. Surge by Member Audio - I'm going to be honest, I have no idea what this does

8. Dexed - FM Synth

9. Mausynth - Analog Modeling Subtractive Synth

10. Tal-Elec7ro - "TAL-Elek7ro is a virtual analog synth with some special features like oscillator hardsync and frequncy modulation. Including improved alias free oscillators, new developed fast envelopes and lfo's with a wide range from 0.1Hz up to 400 Hz. A free routable envelope with attack and decay is available too. This synth is useful for a wide range of sounds from percusion to deep bass sounds."

11. Zebralette by U-He - I have no idea what this does either

12. Some free chiptune VSTs - Not sure what all is here but free is free!

13. The best free piano VSTs - If you want a free virtual piano, here are some options!

14. A list of the best free amp sims. Because you want amp sims as well, duh!

Anyway, I'm sorry this list isn't fully exhaustive, but it should give you a good starting point.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillSPrestonEsq View Post
...wives are expensive upkeep...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dwight Schrute View Post
Ben Toast, I have been sanctioned by the official CGRARC (Christian Guitar Resources Awesome-ness Recognition Committee) to declare that henceforth and hitherto, you are awesome.

Last edited by Toast; 09-08-2020 at 11:19 AM.
Toast is offline   Reply With Quote