Go Back   Christian Guitar Forum > Deeper Issues > Current Events
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Mark Forums Read

Unread 03-14-2020, 09:41 PM   #31
Homer Simpson
D'oh!

paid
Err, sorry. I repeated myself from upthread.

The stats I've seen is that around 20% of the total number infected will be sick enough to require medical attention.

Homer Simpson is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Unread 03-14-2020, 09:42 PM   #32
Dr. Thrunk
and you were wondering??
Administrator

paid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Homer Simpson View Post
Err, sorry. I repeated myself from upthread.

The stats I've seen is that around 20% of the total number infected will be sick enough to require medical attention.
Not good...

Especially when taking into account how contagious it is.

Yes... I am the official "Knight Who Will Write Something On Derrida".
Bask in the wonderful glory.

"outside of a dog a book is a man's best friend... inside a dog it is too dark to read."
-groucho marx

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demon_Hunter View Post
Taylor, you just got drive-by theologied.
Dr. Thrunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-14-2020, 09:44 PM   #33
Mara
Spinning Chinchilla
Administrator

Our governor just put a moratorium on gatherings over 250. Most churches in the area were already cancelling. My grandparents live in a retirement/assisted living home and they aren't allowing anyone nonessential in the building and the residents are all quarantined to their apartments for their own safety. It's weird to think that I won't be able to see them possibly until this all blows over, and who knows how long that'll be.

On a lighter note, I went to four stores today to find toilet paper and they were all out.
Mara is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-14-2020, 09:52 PM   #34
Homer Simpson
D'oh!

paid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mara View Post
On a lighter note, I went to four stores today to find toilet paper and they were all out.
A bunch of folks I know have installed bidets for exactly this reason.

British Columbia has done the same thing, prohibiting gatherings over 250. A lot of churches are closing or doing alternate arrangements (like house churches).

Our Bishop has given instructions to cancel evening services like Vespers and just celebrate the normal Sunday liturgies. Also, we will no longer exchange the Kiss of Peace, and icons are not to be venerated by kissing (ordinarily, holy icons, or rather the person depicted in the icon, is venerated by kissing the icon, but our bishop has wisely asked us not to do this) until this blows over.

We've also cancelled post-liturgy lunch and coffee hour, as well as catechism classes.

Last edited by Homer Simpson; 03-15-2020 at 11:13 PM.
Unread 03-15-2020, 11:14 PM   #35
Homer Simpson
D'oh!

paid
My peeps in Washington state tell me that restaurants are closed and gatherings over 50 people have been prohibited.
Unread 03-16-2020, 07:40 AM   #36
Dr. Thrunk
and you were wondering??
Administrator

paid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Homer Simpson View Post
My peeps in Washington state tell me that restaurants are closed and gatherings over 50 people have been prohibited.
NPR was talking this mornig that in sone places like Illinois they are calling for no oublic gatherings. And Gov. Cuomo of New York is calling for businesses to voluntarily ____ down. But, if none do then they may have to take further measures to force that sort of thing.

"outside of a dog a book is a man's best friend... inside a dog it is too dark to read."
-groucho marx

Quote:
Unread 03-16-2020, 07:48 AM   #37
Dr. Thrunk
and you were wondering??
Administrator

paid
Idk how it is effecting the rest of the world, but the market is tanking here BAD in the US. And I know it is the same in the UK and much of Europe.

What I find odd is how th Fed are taking these emergency measures by slashing interest rates. On a Sunday. This is panicked action. It is crisis action.

And, I'm not sure the Fed should do panicked action? Cause things like this are EXACTLY what spook investors and whatnot. Which exacerbates the market reaction. It seems to me that it does the exact opposite of what the Fed wants it to do. They should have waited until Wednesday (when they were originally going to do it) and stayed the course. The market would have fallen on Monday anyway.

Maybe I'm wrong though. Too bad Chrysostom isnt around anymore!

-groucho marx

Quote:
Unread 03-16-2020, 12:05 PM   #38
Laguna Master
Kind of tall

paid
My county cancelled all schools yesterday. There are two confirmed cases in my county. Kinda scary, but just going along with it. That means my wife is home from the school and the library until April 12th, or maybe sooner.
Laguna Master is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-16-2020, 01:37 PM   #39
Homer Simpson
D'oh!

paid
The Feds have closed the border into Canada to all international travelers except US citizens, and I suspect that's mostly because the political ramifications would be disastrous. But if things get any worse I suspect that ban may be in place soon. All flights into Canada have been redirected to four cities: Montreal, Toronto, Calgary and Vancouver, and returning Canadians are being required to agree to self-quarantine.

The third and fourth-year clinical clerkships and placements at the University of British Columbia's school of medicine have been suspended. They didn't even do that for SARS. This is how terrifying this disease is - they're telling med students (who can't practice as MDs yet - these aren't Residents) to go home. This is from my deacon, who is a physician and an instructor at UBC Med.

All of UBC's courses have moved online, and instructors are being asked to facilitate doing finals online. They're giving international and non-local students carte-blanche permission to leave town.

The Mayor of Vancouver is closing most civic facilities and asking the Feds and the province to help with financial support for people who need to stay home to quarantine and miss work.

Last edited by Homer Simpson; 03-16-2020 at 08:56 PM.
Unread 03-19-2020, 08:14 AM   #40
Dr. Thrunk
and you were wondering??
Administrator

paid
Just heard that Trump is trying to limit the flow between Canada and the US to essential travel only, and I am wondering what will happen with Mexico. How will this impact on trade, I wonder?

Also, Italy is reaching the same death toll that China has... Which is scary. At the same time, Wuhan didnt have any new cases yesterday.

-groucho marx

Quote:
Unread 03-19-2020, 08:37 AM   #41
Giuseppe
Admιnιstrator

Government officials here are starting to consider the possibility of extending the nation wide quarantine after the two weeks have passed now that we are one week in.
The good news is that the measures have stopped the exponential growth. The bad news is that there is still a linear growth.
Do you guys think things will normalize by the end of April, or will it go on through the summer?
- Carl Martin Quattro (Purchased 2009-2010) - Cleanup 2020
- Godin Icon Type2 Convertible Natural 2011 (Purchased 2011) - Fixup 2021
- Koch Twintone II (Purchased 30/12/2011) - New tubes 2020 - FOR SALE
- Charango El Chasqui (Purchased 2012)
- Fender Paramount PM-3 Deluxe Triple 0 (Purchased 01/03/2017) - Fixup 2021
- Shure SE846 (Purchased 25/11/2019)
- Line 6 Helix (Purchased 21/01/2020)
- Thomann SP-5600 (Purchased 30/04/2021)
- Shure SM58 (Purchased 30/04/2021)
Giuseppe is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-19-2020, 09:38 AM   #42
DaGeek
Rey de CGR
Administrator

paid
I’m so skeptical of China’s claims... I dunno. I hope it’s true, but they’re not known for free flow of information.

Donate blood and save up to three lives! Skeptical or curious about the facts? Please click here and find out from the experts!
DaGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-19-2020, 10:01 AM   #43
Leboman
I Saw That
Administrator

paid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Giuseppe View Post
Government officials here are starting to consider the possibility of extending the nation wide quarantine after the two weeks have passed now that we are one week in.
The good news is that the measures have stopped the exponential growth. The bad news is that there is still a linear growth.
Do you guys think things will normalize by the end of April, or will it go on through the summer?
I trust that they will drag this on for as long as possible.

John 14:6 (CSB)

YouTube Stuff
Lee's Sermons
Blog
Leboman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-19-2020, 10:43 AM   #44
Dr. Thrunk
and you were wondering??
Administrator

paid
Yeah, I am thinking this will go beyond April.

-groucho marx

Quote:
Unread 03-19-2020, 08:39 PM   #45
beanbag
still not a stale muffin.
Administrator

paid
i've also seen some headlines that china is reporting no new cases in three months.

my brother did mention he'd read reports that china was reporting reinfections of previous patients, so getting it once apparently doesn't cause immunity.

sooo...i'm thinking that this will go beyond april/may if we're looking for the same kind of containment. otherwise, we'll most likely continue to see cycles of this in the states. i'm really curious to see what kind of a lasting impact this will have on our social structures and customs when this is all over.

dumb statement du jour: a stadium's like a big building, right?

let me entertain you!
beanbag is offline   Reply With Quote