Go Back   Christian Guitar Forum > Deeper Issues > Current Events
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 03-13-2020, 04:01 PM   #16
My name is Oliver Queen.

paid
Oh good, if that graph is accurate then I definitely just have a cold. :P

Quote:
I think it's pretty easy to downplay it as "oh, it's only dangerous if you're old," but I think that's pretty crappy, since old people are people, too! If a ton of us younger folk get it mildly but that causes the deaths of thousands of elderly people, then that's a hot pot of garbage. But I'll step off of my soapbox...
I'm not concerned about dying because of that reason, but I'm certainly not being careless about it either. That said there are still no confirmed cases in my immediate area.

But I'm likely visiting my friend next weekend, and she lives in a town that's mostly old people. So hopefully they don't get it.

Bass - Yamaha TRBX 505
Acoustic Guitars - Ovation Celebrity Deluxe CC48, J. Watson & Co. WD150TB
Electric Guitars - Fender Classic '72 Telecaster Thinline (2007), Maton Mastersound, Epiphone Les Paul Studio Chameleon (2x EMG 81TW)
Guitar Amp - Fender Mustang IV V2
Bass Amp - Behringer Ultrabass BXL1800A
Gear - Line 6 Helix, POD HD500X, Zoom G9.2tt, Zoom B9.1ut, Boss DD-20

Warning: This journal may contain diary

But He was pierced for our transgressions
He was crushed for our iniquities;
The punishment that brought us peace was upon Him,
And by His wounds we are healed.
Giga Hertz is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Unread 03-13-2020, 07:22 PM   #17
Rey de CGR
Administrator

paid
My wife went to the store today, and she said the shelves were virtually empty of everything. My metro area has a few confirmed cases... Probably only going to get worse before it gets better.

Donate blood and save up to three lives! Skeptical or curious about the facts? Please click here and find out from the experts!
DaGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-14-2020, 07:20 AM   #18
Admιnιstrator

I avoided the supermarket the first 2 days of complete lockdown.
Went this morning. Supermarket was empty and fully stocked. Nice.
- Carl Martin Quattro (Purchased 2009-2010) - Cleanup 2020
- Godin Icon Type2 Convertible Natural 2011 (Purchased 2011) - Fixup 2021
- Koch Twintone II (Purchased 30/12/2011) - New tubes 2020 - FOR SALE
- Charango El Chasqui (Purchased 2012)
- Fender Paramount PM-3 Deluxe Triple 0 (Purchased 01/03/2017) - Fixup 2021
- Shure SE846 (Purchased 25/11/2019)
- Line 6 Helix (Purchased 21/01/2020)
Giuseppe is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-14-2020, 08:01 AM   #19
Old School Sensei
Administrator

paid
Pennsylvania has closed all public schools for the next two weeks.
let the nations know they are only humans.

Psalm 9:19-20 (CSB)

YouTube Stuff
Lee's Sermons
Blog
Leboman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-14-2020, 08:07 AM   #20
Admιnιstrator

Last night they announced that borders are closed to all foreigners entering. And all flights/ferries/buses/trains in and out of the country are cancelled. Only goods can enter and leave the country. For 1 month.

Trying to figure out if I can get a refund for my flight tickets
- Carl Martin Quattro (Purchased 2009-2010) - Cleanup 2020
- Godin Icon Type2 Convertible Natural 2011 (Purchased 2011) - Fixup 2021
- Koch Twintone II (Purchased 30/12/2011) - New tubes 2020 - FOR SALE
- Charango El Chasqui (Purchased 2012)
- Fender Paramount PM-3 Deluxe Triple 0 (Purchased 01/03/2017) - Fixup 2021
- Shure SE846 (Purchased 25/11/2019)
- Line 6 Helix (Purchased 21/01/2020)
Giuseppe is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-14-2020, 09:10 AM   #21
Kind of tall

paid
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaGeek View Post
Not doing too badly here in Virginia. Our governor just closed all public schools in the state for at least the next two weeks. Working in public safety myself, I know I certainly can't telework, so I'm looking forward to that... I'm having to decide how proactive I'll be since I have an immuno-suppressed wifey at home (yay pregnancy!). It's been pretty wild to see all the major closings of multi-billion dollar industries, such as MLB, NHL, etc. I'm glad that all of these organizations are taking this threat seriously. I think it's pretty easy to downplay it as "oh, it's only dangerous if you're old," but I think that's pretty crappy, since old people are people, too! If a ton of us younger folk get it mildly but that causes the deaths of thousands of elderly people, then that's a hot pot of garbage. But I'll step off of my soapbox...
I hear you. I'm concerned about being a threat to old folks so I'm especially worried about going to church because it is 90% people older than 60. I would hate to be a part in getting them potentially fatally ill.

Along that vein, my wife and I went grocery shopping last night and there were entire SHELVES empty. Bread, buns, and rolls, gone. Canned vegetables, limited to four cans per type per person, gone. Meat, gone (except for the corned beef, which is on sale....like come on, folks. It's a huge cut of beef ON SALE). Frozen veggies, gone. Produce, gone. The pallet box of potatoes was empty. The eggs were all gone. I've never seen anything like it. I feel like the young people have gone out and wiped the shelves and the older folks don't have anything left to buy.

NY hasn't closed schools yet, but Gov. Cuomo's thinking about it.

It seems like human nature is really coming out. Most everyone is panicking and fending for themselves, but priority really needs to go to those who are most susceptible: the elderly and immuno-compromised.
Laguna Master is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-14-2020, 02:51 PM   #22
D'oh!

paid
We've had a fair few cases in Canada, mostly centered in Ontario and British Columbia. An elderly individual died in a nursing home in Vancouver from it.

The Prime Minister, Justin Trudeau, is in quarantine after his wife came back from a speaking engagement in Europe and tested positive for it.

Generally, people are self-isolating and 'flattening the curve'. There is talk, however, that due to the incompetent mismanagement of the situation by the US government and lack of appropriate policy for enabling people to get tested (universal health care), the option of closing the border is being considered. One piece I read said that America could be in the situation of Italy in the near future.

https://www.macleans.ca/opinion/will...united-states/

Last edited by Mara; 03-15-2020 at 11:29 AM.
Homer Simpson is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-14-2020, 06:33 PM   #23
Spinning Chinchilla
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Homer Simpson View Post
We've had a fair few cases in Canada, mostly centered in Ontario and British Columbia. An elderly individual died in a nursing home in Vancouver from it.

The Prime Minister, Justin Trudeau, is in quarantine after his wife came back from a speaking engagement in Europe and tested positive for it.

Generally, people are self-isolating and 'flattening the curve'. There is talk, however, that due to the incompetent mismanagement of the situation by the US government and lack of appropriate policy for enabling people to get tested (universal health care), the option of closing the border is being considered. One piece I read said that America could be in the situation of Italy in the near future.

Hi Ryan! If you'd like to have a specific conversation about the political aspect of the COVID-19 crisis, the 2020 US Politics thread would be the best place for that, so we can keep this thread from getting dominated by that topic.

I'd also ask that, in the interest of caring for one another as brothers and sisters in Christ, we all check our tone before we post and try to consider how it may come across to those on the other side of the political aisle. On the flip side, let's all try to have a charitable reading of others, and respond with respect and mercy.

Last edited by Mara; 03-15-2020 at 11:29 AM.
Mara is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-14-2020, 06:38 PM   #24
D'oh!

paid
I suppose there is a thread for that for a reason. Fair enough so.
Unread 03-14-2020, 07:53 PM   #25
Old School Sensei
Administrator

paid
Schools in North Carolina are cancelled for the rest of the month.
let the nations know they are only humans.

Psalm 9:19-20 (CSB)

YouTube Stuff
Lee's Sermons
Blog
Leboman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-14-2020, 07:56 PM   #26
Rey de CGR
Administrator

paid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Laguna Master View Post
I hear you. I'm concerned about being a threat to old folks so I'm especially worried about going to church because it is 90% people older than 60. I would hate to be a part in getting them potentially fatally ill.

Along that vein, my wife and I went grocery shopping last night and there were entire SHELVES empty. Bread, buns, and rolls, gone. Canned vegetables, limited to four cans per type per person, gone. Meat, gone (except for the corned beef, which is on sale....like come on, folks. It's a huge cut of beef ON SALE). Frozen veggies, gone. Produce, gone. The pallet box of potatoes was empty. The eggs were all gone. I've never seen anything like it. I feel like the young people have gone out and wiped the shelves and the older folks don't have anything left to buy.

NY hasn't closed schools yet, but Gov. Cuomo's thinking about it.

It seems like human nature is really coming out. Most everyone is panicking and fending for themselves, but priority really needs to go to those who are most susceptible: the elderly and immuno-compromised.
Agreed. It's frustrating to see so many treating this like it's the end of the world. It is kind of scary, but it's not Armageddon, and wiping out the food/TP supplies, even if just for a couple days until the next shipments come in, is really hard on some people. I really want to see the church (and heck, any able-bodied person, really) use this as an opportunity to bless those who may be shut-ins and/or unable to go get what they need from the store.

Virginia's governor already ordered that all schools statewide close for the next two weeks, and it surprises me that we beat NY to that punch. Our church is switching to doing service online tomorrow as a livestream, which is pretty cool. I think a lot of local churches are doing that or just canceling.

Quote:

Generally, people are self-isolating and 'flattening the curve'. There is talk, however, that the option of closing the border is being considered. One piece I read said that America could be in the situation of Italy in the near future.

I'll probably respond to some of that a little more in the other thread, but I'm glad that my state, at least, has done a rather good job so far of canceling things and ramping up testing ability. It took a little longer than desired, for sure, but I think we're getting there. This new federal bill they're talking about passing would make (from what I've read) testing free, and emergency paid leave for quarantine/COVID-19 sickness is already being implemented in places like my county.

Donate blood and save up to three lives! Skeptical or curious about the facts? Please click here and find out from the experts!

Last edited by Leboman; 03-14-2020 at 09:55 PM.
DaGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-14-2020, 08:22 PM   #27
Black Lives Matter
Administrator

+1 to Mara's observations above. Beyond that, all I have to say is wash your dang hands. Thanks!
mtlmouth is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-14-2020, 09:16 PM   #28
D'oh!

paid
Justin Trudeau's wife, Sophie Trudeau recently came back from a trip to Europe and when she arrived back in Canada she was diagnosed with COVID19.

She and the Prime Minister are in self-isolation as we speak. Scary stuff.
Unread 03-14-2020, 09:23 PM   #29
and you were wondering??
Administrator

paid
Quote:
Justin Trudeau's wife, Sophie Trudeau recently came back from a trip to Europe and when she arrived back in Canada she was diagnosed with COVID19.

She and the Prime Minister are in self-isolation as we speak. Scary stuff.
That's pretty crazy. Its just weird to think that the PM of Canada likely has the coronavirus. It is a reminder that stuff like this doesn't discriminate based on class.

And what is especially worrying is that, just like any other person, the Trudeau's have certainly mingled with many before it was discovered they had the virus.

Yes... I am the official "Knight Who Will Write Something On Derrida".
Bask in the wonderful glory.

"outside of a dog a book is a man's best friend... inside a dog it is too dark to read."
-groucho marx

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demon_Hunter View Post
Taylor, you just got drive-by theologied.
Dr. Thrunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-14-2020, 09:27 PM   #30
and you were wondering??
Administrator

paid
I'm trying to get accurate numbers. At first I was assuming that the death percentage of Covid-19 was 2-3% across the board. But, that is the rate for 18-49. Other places ive looked say that it is MUCH higher for older. Or course, I knew that older people were more likely to die from it, but I just assumed the 2-3% was an overall average or something.

Apparently 50-79 could be somewhere around 1 in 12, which is like 8.5%, and 80+ is 1 in 10.

Has anyone else seen any numbers?

Yes... I am the official "Knight Who Will Write Something On Derrida".
Bask in the wonderful glory.

"outside of a dog a book is a man's best friend... inside a dog it is too dark to read."
-groucho marx

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demon_Hunter View Post
Taylor, you just got drive-by theologied.
Dr. Thrunk is offline   Reply With Quote