Go Back   Christian Guitar Forum > Deeper Issues > Current Events
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Mark Forums Read

Unread 09-14-2021, 10:47 AM   #226
mtlmouth
Black Lives Matter
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leboman View Post
I don't know how to help people get along expect lead by example. Believe me when I say that I am desperately trying to. I have been intentionally avoided these types of threads for a reason.

As far as your response, you gave the answer I've already heard but I don't necessarily agree with it. I don't believe that makes me uncaring or unloving.
I see. Which part(s) of it do you disagree with?

mtlmouth is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Unread 09-14-2021, 11:31 AM   #227
tlj009

Quote:
_I didn't link to this one in my last post, but_I thought this article's discussion of VAERS_and what those reports actually mean was helpful.
Yes. This is right. My point was just, that it raises doubts and they need to be investigated and studied. It would be great if the CDC, would put out the numbers, ages, etc. It isn't that I take it and run with it. It is that the relatively small numbers need to be investigated. I aknowledged this in my other post.

Quote:
Not sure if you missed it in my last post, but I did include links to additional information about vaccine safety in children and the risks of myocarditis in my last post:

HealthyChildren.org_- sponsored by the American Academy of Pediatrics, a major professional association for pediatricians
Yale Medicine_- one of the top universities in the US
Reuters_- an international news outlet
Yeah, I did miss them. Sorry, guess I just woke up in a bad mood and got irritated. I'll go through them. I'm sure that you noticed that I'm a numbers guy. Most articles make general statements about small risk and more risk due to Covid. But they also tend to judge risk by the population at large. In Louisiana there have been 13241 deaths and 14 have been in those 18 and under. You just can't lump them in to the same risk category. And so, I like looking at the numbers. They are generally hard to find. If you run across anything that show the hospitalizations for thos 18 and under, please post it too.
tlj009 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-14-2021, 05:09 PM   #228
Mara
Spinning Chinchilla
Administrator

I think part of the conversation that is missing here is the reality that children, while they're at a relatively low risk of complications if they get Covid (although I still believe protecting them is absolutely necessary, just like I protect my children from the flu by getting them a flu shot, or a head injury by making them wear a helmet, etc) are also likely to spread the virus to people who have much higher risk factors.
Mara is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-14-2021, 07:20 PM   #229
DaGeek
Rey de CGR
Administrator

paid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mara View Post
I think part of the conversation that is missing here is the reality that children, while they're at a relatively low risk of complications if they get Covid (although I still believe protecting them is absolutely necessary, just like I protect my children from the flu by getting them a flu shot, or a head injury by making them wear a helmet, etc) are also likely to spread the virus to people who have much higher risk factors.
This has been the hardest part for me personally because it's hitting my wife's family hard. Their kids contracted COVID most likely from school, and they brought it home. Now, both parents have spent time in the hospital from it (mom seems like she's now on the upswing and was only hospitalized overnight, but dad is going to be hospitalized at least a couple days and isn't out of the woods yet). Neither is vaccinated, which makes it all the more frustrating because vaccines would likely have prevented it. At the end of the day, vaccines have proven to be highly effective with a very, very small number of complications (and an even smaller number of severe complications), but COVID has a much higher rate of complications/hospitalizations. If someone doesn't want to get the vaccine, then that's ultimately on them, but those of us sitting on the sidelines have to watch them battle it out when they didn't have to have to suffer.

Donate blood and save up to three lives! Skeptical or curious about the facts? Please click here and find out from the experts!
DaGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-15-2021, 12:33 AM   #230
Almost Enough
by hope we steer

.[QUOTE
You are right, we wouldn't hang out. You seem full of anger and hate. You make claims like "misinformation" that you won't back up and you don't make arguments or present evidence and make conclusions. You just spout hate.[/QUOTE]

I'm sorry you feel that way about me because it's not true. I feel very strongly about protecting those around me who need it and I act accordingly. My aggression is purely out of love for those that cannot advocate for themselves. I wish we could have met under different circumstances than the current pandemic we are living through. I honest to God hope that you and yours are safe and well. I'm sorry if my approach has come across as callous and condemning.
Unread 09-15-2021, 07:08 AM   #231
Leboman
I Saw That
Administrator

paid
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtlmouth View Post
I see. Which part(s) of it do you disagree with?
I have neither the desire nor time to debate so I'll just leave it at this.

If this vaccine doesn't protect me then I seriously doubt that a piece of cotton will.

John 14:6 (CSB)

YouTube Stuff
Lee's Sermons
Blog

Last edited by Leboman; 09-15-2021 at 09:29 AM. Reason: typo
Leboman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-16-2021, 06:20 PM   #232
tlj009

https://www.bbc.com/news/health-58438669

I need to sit out for a few days but I wanted to post this article. The vaccination advisory board in the UK did not recommend the vaccination for all children. Instead they recommend it for children at high risk.
Unread 09-17-2021, 03:17 PM   #233
Mara
Spinning Chinchilla
Administrator

Thought this was an interesting development. "U.S. FDA advisers recommend COVID-19 boosters for older adults after rejecting broad approval" https://www.reuters.com/world/us/us-...ee-2021-09-17/
Mara is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-18-2021, 10:35 AM   #234
tlj009

https://www.usnews.com/news/health-n...d-off-shortage

"By Sept. 10, 2.17 million doses of existing monoclonal antibodies had been shipped to sites. Since last December, 938,000 doses have been used. About 43% of the distributed doses have been used as of Sept. 3"

I guess that this is the part that doesn't compute for me. _We have used less than 50% of the doses already shipped this year, which is 3/4 over. _And we are buying alot more to be delivered by the 1st of the year. _How are we in risk of a shortage? _

The other thing is that I didn't realize the feds were paying for this. _I understand paying for the vaccine. _The government has a vested interest in everyone getting vaccinated. _But when it comes to treatment, why not have individuals, insurance, medicaid and medicare pay for it just like any other treatment? _Just to simplify things. _Maybe get a better price?
Unread 09-18-2021, 06:23 PM   #235
tlj009

Quote:
I'm sorry you feel that way about me because it's not true. I feel very strongly about protecting those around me who need it and I act accordingly. My aggression is purely out of love for those that cannot advocate for themselves. I wish we could have met under different circumstances than the current pandemic we are living through. I honest to God hope that you and yours are safe and well. I'm sorry if my approach has come across as callous and condemning.
I'm glad to hear that it isn't true. And I'm sorry if it hurt your feelings. As you pointed out, we don't know each other. And I don't want to discourage you from posting. I think we all benefit from hearing from people of different backgrounds and opinions. But if you are going to have personal attacks in every single post that you make, then people are going to react negatively on occasion. Feel free to correct, disagree, contradict, etc. The "are you for real", "grow up dude", "come on, dude", etc. get old fast. And if you could turn down the sarcasm to a low boil, I would appreciate it.
Unread 09-21-2021, 09:28 AM   #236
tlj009

Quote:
This has been the hardest part for me personally because it's hitting my wife's family hard. Their kids contracted COVID most likely from school, and they brought it home. Now, both parents have spent time in the hospital from it (mom seems like she's now on the upswing and was only hospitalized overnight, but dad is going to be hospitalized at least a couple days and isn't out of the woods yet). Neither is vaccinated, which makes it all the more frustrating because vaccines would likely have prevented it. At the end of the day, vaccines have proven to be highly effective with a very, very small number of complications (and an even smaller number of severe complications), but COVID has a much higher rate of complications/hospitalizations. If someone doesn't want to get the vaccine, then that's ultimately on them, but those of us sitting on the sidelines have to watch them battle it out when they didn't have to have to suffer.
How are your people doing?

A friend of mine just spent 8 days in the hospital. He says that the muscle loss really surprised him. He lost 20 pounds and looks pretty rough but it did change his mind about the vaccine. He has to wait 30 days. They say that natural immunity and the vaccine is extremely powerful protection, so that is good.
Unread 09-21-2021, 02:30 PM   #237
DaGeek
Rey de CGR
Administrator

paid
Quote:
Originally Posted by tlj009 View Post
How are your people doing?

A friend of mine just spent 8 days in the hospital. He says that the muscle loss really surprised him. He lost 20 pounds and looks pretty rough but it did change his mind about the vaccine. He has to wait 30 days. They say that natural immunity and the vaccine is extremely powerful protection, so that is good.
Both ended up hospitalized for 1-2 days, but thankfully they are now recovering well. Their kids had only minor symptoms and are back in action. Thank you for asking. It definitely seems like the vaccine + acquired immunity can't hurt, and I hope they both decide to get the vaccine when they medically are able to do so! Maybe this will help encourage my in-laws to consider it, too...

Donate blood and save up to three lives! Skeptical or curious about the facts? Please click here and find out from the experts!
DaGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-21-2021, 06:02 PM   #238
tlj009

So, I think that we may be in the last really major spike of Covid. I suspect that it will stick around but I am hopeful that the worst is over. Let me know if I am way off base here. Keep in mind, I am only looking at my state.

https://ldh.la.gov/coronavirus/

https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019...es/burden.html

Over 2,000,000 vaccinated and 730,000 have had the virus in a population of 4,700,000. CDC says in the link above that cases are under reported somewhere in the vicinity of 4 to 1. If that is true, then the vast majority of the population should be protected either by natural immunity or the vaccine. There is probably a significant crossover between these two groups. But it should still cover still cover a very significant portion at this point. What do y'all think? Are we further away than I think?
Unread 09-22-2021, 06:30 PM   #239
Dwight Schrute
assistant regional mgr.

my immune-compromized 21-year old got the single-shot J&J; my immune-compromised 19-year old got both shots of the Moderna. my immune-compromised wife got her first shot of Moderna on Sunday, round two coming in a few weeks. my thirteen-year-old is also immune-compromised and had a panic attack, couldn't get the shot so we're trying to figure out what to do with him. don't tell him, but the pediatrician is giving him a muscle relaxer so he can calm down enough to get the first Moderna shot. my other two kids are too young; all five of my kids have Lyme disease in varying se verities. they got it from my wife who had it unknowingly her entire life. bet u didn't know Lyme disease can be passed on, in-utero. Lyme makes any vaccine a tricky ordeal. at this point, we had to make some hard choices and are getting the vaccine wherever we are able. I'm grateful to be doing whatever I can to keep my loved ones alive.

hoping the Delta is the last ugly variant and that this kind of starts fading a bit. people everywhere are stretched to the very limit of what they can handle; rioting and protesting and freaking out is IMO a symptom that people are at the end of their tolerance for all this stress.

"Every man is my superior in that I may learn from him." -Thomas Carlyle
Dwight Schrute is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-23-2021, 03:20 PM   #240
tlj009

Quote:
my immune-compromized 21-year old got the single-shot J&J; my immune-compromised 19-year old got both shots of the Moderna. my immune-compromised wife got her first shot of Moderna on Sunday, round two coming in a few weeks. my thirteen-year-old is also immune-compromised and had a panic attack, couldn't get the shot so we're trying to figure out what to do with him. don't tell him, but the pediatrician is giving him a muscle relaxer so he can calm down enough to get the first Moderna shot. my other two kids are too young; all five of my kids have Lyme disease in varying se verities. they got it from my wife who had it unknowingly her entire life. bet u didn't know Lyme disease can be passed on, in-utero. Lyme makes any vaccine a tricky ordeal. at this point, we had to make some hard choices and are getting the vaccine wherever we are able. I'm grateful to be doing whatever I can to keep my loved ones alive.
That's pretty tough. I knew lyme disease was bad but I always thought it was curable with antibiotics.