Go Back   Christian Guitar Forum > Community > General Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Mark Forums Read

Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 03-11-2020, 07:27 AM   #16
Admιnιstrator
 
Giuseppe's Avatar
 

Joined: Oct 2011
Location: in CPF
Posts: 2,386
Quote:
Originally Posted by dogfood View Post
I play guitar!
That makes two of us, lol

__________________
Got an Android phone? Check out my apps and games. ||||| CGR discord
Gear:
- American Fender Stratocaster Deluxe Amber 2007 (Purchased 2008) - Fixup 2019
- Carl Martin Quattro (Purchased 2009-2010) - Cleanup 2020
- TC Electronic Polytune (Purchased 18/11/2010) - FOR SALE
- Electro Harmonix Signal Pad Nano (Purchased 14/03/2011) - FOR SALE
- Godin Icon Type2 Convertible Natural 2011 (Purchased 2011)
- Koch Twintone II (Purchased 30/12/2011) - FOR SALE
- Charango El Chasqui (Purchased 2012)
- Fender Paramount PM-3 Deluxe Triple 0 (Purchased 01/03/2017)
- Shure SE846 (Purchased 25/11/2019)
- Line 6 Helix (Purchased 21/01/2020)
Giuseppe is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Unread 03-11-2020, 08:20 AM   #17
Registered User
 

Joined: Sep 2019
Posts: 83
Heya Giuseppe! On my phone the threads don't update unless I go back to the main page and refresh. I edited my post after you'd already posted yours. At the very least it looks like retconning. My bad. I play guitar... well, very sloppily.....
Ebdim9th is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-11-2020, 12:32 PM   #18
طعام الكلب
 
dogfood's Avatar
 

Joined: Feb 2004
Location: Aotearoa
Posts: 14,775
Send a message via MSN to dogfood
I also go to church
__________________
dogfood is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-11-2020, 02:33 PM   #19
Registered User
 

Joined: Sep 2019
Posts: 83
I am the temple that goes to church
Ebdim9th is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-11-2020, 04:02 PM   #20
and you were wondering??
Administrator
 
Dr. Thrunk's Avatar
 

Joined: Aug 2004
Location: In the bedrock of Being.
Posts: 15,620
paid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mara View Post

Okay, a couple of follow-up questions:

1. What is leading you to believe that the admins and/or mods don't believe in those things?
2. What are the characteristics of what you see as a historical version of Christianity?
3. When you say that views have changed about specific sins, what sins are you referring to?

I am not trying to nitpick, but I don't want to make assumptions about what you mean.

Can you give me examples of why you think scripture is not being highly valued?

This is interesting to me because I actually think the opposite. From where I sit, it seems like the people on CGR with the shortest fuse, least generous interpretation of others, and the least interest in digging into a real discussion tend to skew conservative. I am not saying that is a certifiable fact, just that it tends to be my perspective.

That said, there are, what, 5 people who engage in any kind of political or theological conversation? Like I mentioned in the last post, we have around 15 active users, and calling most of them "active" is pretty generous. Of those, there are only a few who post more than once or twice a month. It's not hard to guess who you're probably talking about here.

If you are bummed that there's not more music-related content on CGR, I'd encourage you to create some. But, IMO, it has been many, many years since this website relied on guitar or CCM resources for community engagement.

To be clear, these are the current site administrators:
Me
mtlmouth/Leighanna
Thrunk/Taylor
beanbag/Sabrina
DaGeek/Paul
Leboman

Other than you, these are the current site moderators:
dogfood
MtlMom
Giga Hertz
Dwight Schrute

Maybe you know something I don't, but I don't know of anything that makes me think that anyone on this list is not a believer. If you are concerned that they may not be saved or may be in unrepentant sin, I'd urge you to talk to them with love and seek their restoration. It concerns me that you would express doubt about the salvation of anyone here and frame that as a problem with a website and not a genuine concern for the souls of old friends.

It seems like you are suggesting that those who are progressive are running off the orthodox Christians. Am I misunderstanding? Can you give me some examples of this?
I kinda feel like this needs to be answered. Mara posed some important questions, and had some really good points.

I find this thread to be odd. And, if I want to be honest I reckon I am one of the users who is being referred to, especially as the main issue is apparently a cabal of "progressives". Since the number of active users is quite low, it makes it pretty easy to make educated guesses as to who is being referred to.

I won't apologise for my theological or political beliefs. Primarily because they dont deviate from the historic creeds. Further, *I* believe that my political and social beliefs follow from my religious ones. You and others probably don't. Thats fine; but I dont think it is appropriate to imply that there is an essential disconnect between broadly left political beliefs and Christianity. If you want to discuss this further, I certainly welcome it.

I dont think there is a large degree if antagonism here, either. This thread was created after a tiff between Lee and I. That has happened a few times this election season. But, it certainly doesnt characterise a majority of interactions on this site.

Ive been silent about this thread for a few days, but it isnt because I dont have anything to say. It is mostly because I haven't been sure what to say. I certainly don't want to cause any sort of tension with what I have said above, but the thread calls for a response. And, further, I really think Mara's points and questions need to be addressed.
__________________
Hello! Come visit my blog! http://taylormweaver.wordpress.com/

Yes... I am the official "Knight Who Will Write Something On Derrida".
Bask in the wonderful glory.

"outside of a dog a book is a man's best friend... inside a dog it is too dark to read."
-groucho marx

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demon_Hunter View Post
Taylor, you just got drive-by theologied.
Dr. Thrunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-12-2020, 01:00 AM   #21
Registered User
 

Joined: Sep 2019
Posts: 83
I apologize for my Ultimate Guitar rant. I deleted my account there without ever confronting, directly but politely, anyone on the UG team as to thier reasoning behind the way they approach monetizing thier site. Decidedly un-Christian of me....
Ebdim9th is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-14-2020, 11:50 AM   #22
Geezer
Administrator
 
Leboman's Avatar
 

Joined: Aug 2003
Posts: 59,856
paid
I do believe that CGR no longer exists the way it was originally intended. I believe the biggest reason for that is the evolution of social media over the last decade. Another reason is the fact that this website remains firmly grounded in the technology of 2000. There's nothing we can do about the first one. We've addressed the second one but as of today, we've made no progress.

I didn't join until 2003 so I wasn't here at the very beginning but it is my understanding that CGR was intended to provide resources (Tabs, lessons, and such) for musicians looking for Christian music. That part of the site is gone and I can't imagine it will return. There were also forums for Christians to discuss any and all sorts of things. At one point there was a concerted effort by CGR to provide a safe place for believers to have those conversations. The requirements for Mods/Admins was absolutely necessary for that to happen. There is so little traffic here now that one Mod/Admin can pretty much police the site.

I think I understand where bravesfan is coming from. If someone was to randomly stumble across our forums and read through them there really isn't anything to indicate that this is a "Christian" site. I guess that's more due to the fact that there really isn't any activity to begin with.

I know there are many former users who left the faith. Most of them are just that though; former users. I believe there a couple who still come up here. As far as the Mod/Admin staff goes, I believe all identify as Christians. Are some more liberal? Yes. Are some more conservative? Yes. Given that is the nature of the Church, I suppose we should be okay with that.

The only thing that would cause me concern (and I'm not saying this is the case) is if we had Mods/Admins who denied the accepted essential doctrines of the Faith. I guess we might not agree on what those are and need to discuss it but I don't think this thread would be the place to do that.
__________________
Not everyone can carry the weight of the world.

Last edited by Leboman; 03-14-2020 at 12:09 PM.
Leboman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-05-2020, 05:01 PM   #23
still not a stale muffin.
Administrator
 
beanbag's Avatar
 

Joined: Sep 2003
Location: the wood between the worlds
Posts: 11,008
paid
i have a guitar leaning up against the arm of the sofa i'm sitting on. these days in quarantine, i play almost daily. i also hold an undergraduate music degree, emphasis guitar.

i affirm and adhere to the three creeds

i do not actively attend a church, but that is for reasons other than not embracing/supporting/affirming the necessity for the body of Christ to gather together. if that is cause for the admin team to request my resignation, then we will have an open, God-honoring discussion and i'll resign if need be.

we don't really have tabs on here because of the whole debacle maybe around 12-15 years ago where one of the major labels (unfortunately i think it was either vineyard or hillsong) started lawsuits over copyright infringement, and we weren't allowed to post the lyrics along with tabs or chord progressions. it was a quick and sharp downhill slide in terms of musical resources on this site.

politically speaking, i would consider myself pretty moderate/centrist. in general, i'm fiscally conservative and socially liberal, although those lines do blur and cross depending on the issue. i have seen lack of charity and love from people who identify on all ends of the socio-political spectrum, and i submit that it is not a matter of political affiliation, but a matter of the heart. theologically speaking, i affirm and put forward the directive from the church fathers to have unity in the essentials and charity in the non-essentials.
__________________
SAR: Girls are quick to think that they're the ugliest of God's creations, but without makeup--we know we are.

dumb statement du jour: a stadium's like a big building, right?

let me entertain you!
beanbag is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-11-2020, 12:08 PM   #24
I don't like applesauce
 
Gwenny's Avatar
 

Joined: Feb 2001
Location: a glass case of emotion
Posts: 9,425
Send a message via AIM to Gwenny
I have been around since the beginning of the site, pretty much. I joined about two weeks after it went live.

One of the biggest issues is that this site is nowhere near as active as it was from 2001-2010 in its heydey. I'd say from 2003-2009 it was the most active, from my perspective and looking back at when I posted the most. We've also lost a LOT of forums and threads that got merged together or simply deleted, but at one time there was a very active portion dedicated to discussing religion/ethics/philosophy. There were active prayer and advice threads and from my recollection quite a few pastors on here who were active and responsive to people with questions.

CGR is not the vibrant community it once was, but I feel like you're conflating issues. I personally have met many of the people on the admin team and have interacted with them all extensively. I have never felt like they have deviated from traditional orthodox Christianity or views I also think people's political views does not define their belief in Christ unless they are blatantly promoting things that go against the Bible. For instance, I'm a pretty staunch feminist, but I still adhere to the 5 creeds posted by the OP. I am also very, very vocal and outspoken against racism, because I have a niece who is 1/2 black and in her short life of 3 years old, my sister and her husband have dealt with a LOT of racism towards him and their child. So I've definitely participated in what you call being "woke", but as white person who has the position to say things and be heard, better than a black person would on the same issue, I feel like it's my responsibility to do so. My viewpoints and what I hold important to me have changed, but my belief in Christ and what the Bible says hasn't changed.

I'd say that as culture shifts in the world, not just the United States, it's natural for people to also evolve as humans, but that does not mean that they lose their core faith or beliefs. Now that's not to say there aren't people who do walk away completely, because I know for a fact there have definitely been people as moderators and admins who have left the faith and also left the site and have completely turned their backs on God and their faith, but I have never felt like the site wasn't "Christian". I do believe that getting rid of some of these threads and forums has led to a decline in the "Christian" part of the site. I think that is an easy fix, though. However, if you are calling current moderators and administrators people's hearts and mindsets into question that is a completely different issue that I don't believe can be solved by simply calling people out and certainly not in a public setting like this.
Gwenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-16-2020, 11:25 PM   #25
CGR's Queen Mum
 
Rach's Avatar
 

Joined: Jul 2001
Location: On a river
Posts: 13,583
Send a message via AIM to Rach Send a message via MSN to Rach
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leboman View Post
...Another reason is the fact that this website remains firmly grounded in the technology of 2000.
And gosh darn, we sure love her for it.
Rach is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-17-2020, 05:30 AM   #26
Geezer
Administrator
 
Leboman's Avatar
 

Joined: Aug 2003
Posts: 59,856
paid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rach View Post
And gosh darn, we sure love her for it.
__________________
Not everyone can carry the weight of the world.
Leboman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-23-2020, 02:01 PM   #27
Registered User
 

Joined: Oct 2017
Posts: 16
I never had a MySpace or Xanga, but I did have an account here from about 2002-2006. Made well over a thousand posts as a youth group teenager talking about sports and music and awful theology.

Every few years I get bored and revisit that account to read through some of the posts and see what I was up to back in the day.
TheFrenzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 12:40 PM.


Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0 PL2