Register FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 02-15-2020, 04:16 PM   #1
Administrator
Administrator

paid
2020 US Politics Thread

Hello CGR,

After a couple weeks' break since the closure of the Trump Administration thread, the admin team thought it would be good to provide a fresh start for conversations about US politics in a new thread. These are interesting and important matters to talk about, and we want CGR to be a positive place to discuss them.

Before we begin, I'd like to remind you all of a few things:

1. CGR members have a wide range of political viewpoints.

2. Political positions have real-world consequences. The person to whom you are speaking may have been personally affected or hurt by a public policy decision of the Trump administration, or a previous presidential administration led by either party.

3. No one has a monopoly on true understanding of Christianity. People may hold opinions you find perplexing or morally wrong while still following Christ. You may ask about them out of curiosity, and you may respectfully challenge people's positions, but you will not attack individual people or imply anyone is insincere in their faith.

4. If you need to take a break from a conversation in this thread, please do so. If someone tells you they are taking a break from this thread, let them. We expect you all to recognize when you need to take a step back.

5. Do your best to assume the person you're speaking to is trying to have a good, sincere conversation.

6. The admin team will watch this thread carefully. We will close this thread from time to time if we believe people need to take some time to cool off. No admin will close this thread without the agreement of at least one other admin.

With that, let's begin.

mtlmouth is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Unread 03-05-2020, 07:59 AM   #2
assistant regional mgr.

in terms of news and updates, the "Super Tuesday" is over and it appears the contenders on the DNC side are down to just a few. Many have stepped out of the race and thrown their support in for Biden.

"Every man is my superior in that I may learn from him." -Thomas Carlyle
Dwight Schrute is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-05-2020, 08:52 AM   #3
and you were wondering??
Administrator

paid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dwight Schrute View Post
in terms of news and updates, the "Super Tuesday" is over and it appears the contenders on the DNC side are down to just a few. Many have stepped out of the race and thrown their support in for Biden.
I'm wondering what will happen with Warren.

538 has her at having about a 1:100 chance of the nomination. Whereas there being no declared winner is like 3:5, Biden has like a 31% chance, and Bernie an 8% chance. I imagine that if Warren ends, she may throw behind Bernie (despite their tiff a few weeks back, he has noted that they have been talking in private, and they seem more aligned than Warren and Biden). Of course, even if she throws behind Bernie, I'm not sure that this would tip the scales to Bernie have a stronger chance.

Personally, I did vote for Bernie in the primary, and was excited to do so. I dont feel much excitement about Biden and am not looking forward to him becoming the Dem frontrunner. But, may be that's because I was hoping for a political revolution that led with working class interests.

Yes... I am the official "Knight Who Will Write Something On Derrida".
Bask in the wonderful glory.

"outside of a dog a book is a man's best friend... inside a dog it is too dark to read."
-groucho marx

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demon_Hunter View Post
Taylor, you just got drive-by theologied.
Dr. Thrunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-05-2020, 10:09 AM   #4
assistant regional mgr.

yeah, who is really even left in the race? Bernie has indicated he will run the whole race all the way to the convention. that said, he isn't planning on dropping out any time soon. is Warren done yet, or still fighting?

I heard a rather fantastic compilation of Biden sound clips from speeches that made the Dubya quotes sound like refined Shakespeare. if it's Biden vs. Trump, it's gonna be a wild wild pay per view brawl.

Unread 03-05-2020, 10:18 AM   #5
Rey de CGR
Administrator

paid
I just can't see how Biden would have a fighting chance. Aside from being seen as a grandfatherly figure (despite some sinister associations with children...), how many people actually view him as being a strong candidate, viable for the White House? Biden doesn't strike me as anywhere close to the strength of previous democratic candidates, such as Obama or Clinton. He just kind of seems... There. Am I missing something? Is the only reason he's being considered because he's "safe" and "not Trump"?

Donate blood and save up to three lives! Skeptical or curious about the facts? Please click here and find out from the experts!
DaGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-05-2020, 10:40 AM   #6
assistant regional mgr.

I assume his popularity is based on his association with Obama and those policies? the desire for some people to "go back" to what it was like, pre-Trump?

part of me wonders if we're not just being pwnd again by an external entity who is bent on making a spectacle of it all.

Unread 03-05-2020, 12:45 PM   #7
OG Spinning Chinchilla
Administrator

Warren is out. I'm bummed.
Mara is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-05-2020, 01:30 PM   #8
assistant regional mgr.

yeah I just saw that. looks like Biden vs. Trump 2020

Unread 03-05-2020, 05:17 PM   #9
and you were wondering??
Administrator

paid
Quote:
yeah I just saw that. looks like Biden vs. Trump 2020
Yeah, there is a lot of room left in the primary, but I'm not quite sure that the momentum is there. But, if Bernie does get Michigan that may nudge things into a different direction.

"outside of a dog a book is a man's best friend... inside a dog it is too dark to read."
-groucho marx

Quote:
Unread 03-05-2020, 05:20 PM   #10
and you were wondering??
Administrator

paid
Quote:
I assume his popularity is based on his association with Obama and those policies? the desire for some people to "go back" to what it was like, pre-Trump?

part of me wonders if we're not just being pwnd again by an external entity who is bent on making a spectacle of it all.
My understanding is:
-His centrism gives him strength in the south (though, Texas sure did seem like it was going to Bernie for a while).
-He has apparently over his long political career spent a loy of time in African American dem communities in places like North Carolina, Alabama, Georgia, etc. This gave him a pretty strong base to work from. And African American dems are pretty important.
-I think you are right, too, on your points about pre-Trump.

-groucho marx

Quote:
Unread 03-05-2020, 05:23 PM   #11
and you were wondering??
Administrator

paid
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaGeek View Post
I just can't see how Biden would have a fighting chance. Aside from being seen as a grandfatherly figure (despite some sinister associations with children...), how many people actually view him as being a strong candidate, viable for the White House? Biden doesn't strike me as anywhere close to the strength of previous democratic candidates, such as Obama or Clinton. He just kind of seems... There. Am I missing something? Is the only reason he's being considered because he's "safe" and "not Trump"?
This has been my impression as well.

I mean, I am waiting to see what his campaign's focus will be whenever the primaries are over. I am sure it will shift from its current strategy, which will hopefully go beyond "Hey, I'm not Trump!"

As someone who is eager for a non-Trump regime, I am not really excited by dem candidates focusing on Trump. I want to hear about healthcare, student debt, pro-labour policies, a re-structuring of the tax code so that billionaires and corporations pay their fair share.

-groucho marx

Quote:
Unread 03-05-2020, 09:40 PM   #12
assistant regional mgr.

there has to be more to a candidates platform apart from "hey at least I'm not THAT guy".

I won't be voting, regardless, but curious if the next 8 months will get much deeper into issues that that tongue-in-cheek slogan I just quoted.

Unread 03-06-2020, 01:46 AM   #13
by hope we steer

Quote:
I won't be voting, regardless, but curious if the next 8 months will get much deeper into issues that that tongue-in-cheek slogan I just quoted.
Why will you not be voting?

Honestly, I'm frustrated at how much it seems that voter suppression tactics seem to work on our electorate. Biden literally does not provide any meat an potatoes in his campaign. Electability and likeability are not quantifiable or quantifiable terms and they muddy the waters in regards to what a candidate is running on. If Biden runs against Trump I think we can assume that we have four more years of this _______ running our country into the ground and making a profit off of it.

So far "Super Tuesday" stinks to high hell. I'll hold my nose and vote for Biden but I was honestly hoping that this time around we might see the end of the old guard and the introduction of new more progressive people on the Democratic side.

I'm hopeful, though. The old saying, "As California goes, so goes the nation" is something that I hold onto, and seeing a progressive platform winning California gives me hope.

FYI, I'm still bitter the moderators locked my Trump Presidency thread and I feel as though there was no good faith effort into actually resolving issues that are overwhelmingly important in this day and age. But whatever.
Unread 03-06-2020, 08:09 AM   #14
OG Spinning Chinchilla
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Almost Enough View Post
FYI, I'm still bitter the moderators locked my Trump Presidency thread and I feel as though there was no good faith effort into actually resolving issues that are overwhelmingly important in this day and age. But whatever.
I'd be happy to talk with you about what issues you feel did not get properly resolved. I closed it out if concern that the tension and arguing was getting out of hand and would result in people getting in trouble. I hope this thread can be a place where you can bring up the issues that are important to you, (including any that were being discussed in the last thread) and I hope the guidelines Leighanna included will prevent anything from getting vitriolic. Please let me know what concerns you have, though, and we can talk it through.
Mara is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-06-2020, 08:15 AM   #15
assistant regional mgr.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Almost Enough View Post
Why will you not be voting?
I just don't believe in the system or any of the candidates enough to make an effort. right or wrong, I personally see politics as a show and a waste of time. that's just me and where I'm at right now.