Go Back   Christian Guitar Forum > Deeper Issues > Current Events
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Mark Forums Read

Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 02-12-2021, 11:34 AM   #91
and you were wondering??
Administrator
 
Dr. Thrunk's Avatar
 

Joined: Aug 2004
Location: In the bedrock of Being.
Posts: 11,580
paid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dwight Schrute View Post
so the trial is half over, with the rest set aside for the T defense.

did any evidence provided change any ones' opinions so far? or has it just solidified existing beliefs?
I listened to much of it on NPR, though not all. And, I felt like I was reliving trauma, to be honest.

It is certainly possible that Trump's lawyers could provide a good defense (even though they werent present for some of the trial, started badly on the first day, and probably dont feel they have to do anything to prevent a conviction), but at this point I would want to see Trump held accountable for his role. It is the least that should be done. And, complaining about it further dividing the country seems to me to be blaming the victim. If he was a cause and was going against his duty to the Constitution, then a precedent shouldn't be set whereby a POTUS can get off with no repercussions (even if they are small).

__________________
Hello! Come visit my blog! http://taylormweaver.wordpress.com/

Yes... I am the official "Knight Who Will Write Something On Derrida".
Bask in the wonderful glory.

"outside of a dog a book is a man's best friend... inside a dog it is too dark to read."
-groucho marx

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demon_Hunter View Post
Taylor, you just got drive-by theologied.
Dr. Thrunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Unread 02-12-2021, 12:24 PM   #92
by hope we steer
 
Almost Enough's Avatar
 

Joined: Dec 2003
Location: Far Northern California
Posts: 2,696
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Thrunk View Post
I listened to much of it on NPR, though not all. And, I felt like I was reliving trauma, to be honest.

It is certainly possible that Trump's lawyers could provide a good defense (even though they werent present for some of the trial, started badly on the first day, and probably dont feel they have to do anything to prevent a conviction), but at this point I would want to see Trump held accountable for his role. It is the least that should be done. And, complaining about it further dividing the country seems to me to be blaming the victim. If he was a cause and was going against his duty to the Constitution, then a precedent shouldn't be set whereby a POTUS can get off with no repercussions (even if they are small).
Well put. I agree with your statement about reliving the trauma. It actually gives me pause and makes me concerned that I can watcj what occurred that day again and still ha e people say "this is OK". How can we move forward as a functioning democracy when one side is willing to turn a blind eye to terrorism incited by their own party's leader? How can I engage in a good faith discussion with a side that doesn't see violence as a cause for concern?
__________________
Probably not.
Almost Enough is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-01-2021, 10:51 AM   #93
assistant regional mgr.
 
Dwight Schrute's Avatar
 

Joined: Apr 2003
Location: Scranton, PA
Posts: 6,412
so CPAC happened. guess we can start preparing now for Insurrection 2.0 in January of 2025?
__________________


"Every man is my superior in that I may learn from him." -Thomas Carlyle
Dwight Schrute is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-03-2021, 08:06 AM   #94
grubber
 
Shift II's Avatar
 

Joined: Dec 2014
Location: down east
Posts: 729
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dwight Schrute View Post
so CPAC happened. guess we can start preparing now for Insurrection 2.0 in January of 2025?
preparing how? do I need make an anonymous tip on you, Schrute?
__________________
pronouns are xim/xir
Shift II is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-03-2021, 09:40 AM   #95
Registered User
 

Joined: Jun 2006
Posts: 3,539
Quote:
Originally Posted by Almost Enough View Post
Well put. I agree with your statement about reliving the trauma. It actually gives me pause and makes me concerned that I can watcj what occurred that day again and still ha e people say "this is OK". How can we move forward as a functioning democracy when one side is willing to turn a blind eye to terrorism incited by their own party's leader? How can I engage in a good faith discussion with a side that doesn't see violence as a cause for concern?
Who are the people who say "this is OK"? I haven't seen anyone make that argument in regards to the attack on the capital. It appears to be a strawman argument. Which make the rest of the questions invalid.

I'm not saying that to start an argument. I have to fight against a similar feeling in regards to the riots this past summer. You can't have a dialogue with people advocating violence.

But the assumption that the other side wants violence, therefore no discussion is possibe is the problem. It creates conditions for more violence rather than peace. There is no attempt to understand the other person's views. Propaganda rules the day. When propaganda rules, satisfaction can only be achieved when the opposition is utterly destroyed. And it is justified because the opposition is utterly evil.

In the past, two sides debated the issues. Seems like years since any of the issues were debated.
tlj009 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-03-2021, 09:46 AM   #96
assistant regional mgr.
 
Dwight Schrute's Avatar
 

Joined: Apr 2003
Location: Scranton, PA
Posts: 6,412
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shift II View Post
preparing how? do I need make an anonymous tip on you, Schrute?

I was thinking more along the lines of storing up on popcorn to watch the inevitable show. kind of like the same popcorn many people started popping as early as the debates. that was about the time it became clear there would be no peaceful transfer of power.
__________________


"Every man is my superior in that I may learn from him." -Thomas Carlyle
Dwight Schrute is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-04-2021, 07:18 AM   #97
Registered User
 

Joined: Jun 2006
Posts: 3,539
Quote:
Originally Posted by Almost Enough View Post
I would love to sit and have a talk with you in person about my experiences taking part in a variety of demonstrations last summer. You keep calling them riots and claiming that we were advocating violence and it irks me quite a bit. I'm not going to engage in this discussion anymore because it makes my blood boil.

Peace out guys.
Exactly my point. You can't lump the violent in with the peaceful protests and use it to demonize both. I do not believe that the vast majority are not evil or violent so I do believe that their voice should be heard. You obviously believe the same.

Why then do you lump every single person who voted for Trump, half of our entire nation, in with the violent idiots who planned and attacked the Capital?

Last edited by tlj009; 03-05-2021 at 01:57 PM. Reason: Sorry. Aren't instead of are
tlj009 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 12:06 PM.


Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0 PL2