Go Back   Christian Guitar Forum > Deeper Issues > Current Events
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 01-22-2021, 07:24 PM   #76
D'oh!

paid
I hate this political climate. Someone in one of the groups I belong to told me that her priest told her, in more or less polite terms, that she was no longer a Christian and to stop attending church because she voted for Biden.

Homer Simpson is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Unread 01-22-2021, 07:37 PM   #77
and you were wondering??
Administrator

paid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Homer Simpson View Post
I hate this political climate. Someone in one of the groups I belong to told me that her priest told her, in more or less polite terms, that she was no longer a Christian and to stop attending church because she voted for Biden.
That is crazy.

Is she ok?

Yes... I am the official "Knight Who Will Write Something On Derrida".
Bask in the wonderful glory.

"outside of a dog a book is a man's best friend... inside a dog it is too dark to read."
-groucho marx

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demon_Hunter View Post
Taylor, you just got drive-by theologied.
Dr. Thrunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-23-2021, 01:10 AM   #78
by hope we steer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Thrunk View Post
That is crazy.

Is she ok?
Crazy? Yes. Unheard of? Not if my experience is also unique.

Yes. I agree this political climate is extremely toxic and depressing. What is it going to take to open up real avenues of dialogue between every day Americans on both sides?
Unread 01-23-2021, 03:24 AM   #79
D'oh!

paid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Thrunk View Post
That is crazy.

Is she ok?
She's fine. There are other parishes in her area that she can go to and a bunch of us in this one FB group are comparing stories of encounters with her priest (to put it nicely he's uh... kinda lost the plot on Christian conduct). She's putting together an email to the bishop regarding his behaviour. According to my deacon friend who is also under the authority of this bishop... Bishop in question is most definitely not someone you want cross at you.

So we'll see.
Homer Simpson is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-24-2021, 03:42 PM   #80
assistant regional mgr.

watching TV, and a MyPillow commercial came on. I wanted to throw my remote at the television. just saying.

"Every man is my superior in that I may learn from him." -Thomas Carlyle
Dwight Schrute is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-25-2021, 09:29 AM   #81
grubber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dwight Schrute View Post
watching TV...
well there's yer problem!!
Unread 01-25-2021, 10:40 PM   #82
assistant regional mgr.

but there was a fantastic conspiracy theory show on, about the alleged Presidential Book of Secrets! how can I NOW watch that!?

Unread 01-28-2021, 07:38 AM   #83

Quote:
Originally Posted by Homer Simpson View Post
A priest in my church (the OCA, albeit a different diocese) was suspended for attending the assault on the Capitol.

It happened on a major feast day. He should have been serving Theophany, instead he took part in a rebellion.

Good riddance.
The thing is that the same attitude that led him to do that is the same attitude that leads you to say "Good riddance". Love is the defining quality of a Christian. 1John tells us that we know that we are Christians by the love that we have for our brethren. Church discipline is necessary but the goal should always be reconciliation. It should be a sad occasion, not done with gladness. Otherwise, while condemning them, we condemn ourselves.
tlj009 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-01-2021, 07:41 PM   #84

I guess that I am a thread killer. So I thought that I would stir the pot again. Just FYI, I will likely not be able to get on but every few days.

The story so far:

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.cnn...ion/index.html

My view is that a good bit of it hurts the economy. The COVID response already has things hurting. Small businesses are especially feelings the pain. The oil and gas industry was already in shambles. Seems like a bad time to push an agenda that will hurt jobs. Keystone pipeline, moratorium on drilling, even the border wall kills jobs. Raising the minimum wage will likely be much harder on small businesses.

The immigration policies don't bother me much except the rhetoric around it.

I'm against canceling student loan debt. It simply doesn't make sense to me. But our society has become all about eliminating consequences of your decisions. But I don't see it helping our society as a whole.

And, of course, having the federal government fund and promote abortions is something that I find appalling.

So, there you have it. Do y'all disagree? Is it going to be better for the economy than I think it is?
Unread 02-10-2021, 12:11 PM   #85

So impeachment has started. I need someone to tell me the positive outcome that we want to achieve from this. I only see the negatives.

1. Many people believe there was cheating going on during the election. Conspiracy theories aside, there were some problems. Mainly, Democrats used the courts to change election laws in, I believe, 8 states within weeks of the election. Some even happened after early voting. Many called foul to this before and after the elction. It has largely been dismissed but not really addressed. This impeachment would seem to add to the conspiracies rather than calming the concerns.

2. Because of (1), I am afraid that Trump is going to be a sort of calling cry for recruitment of antigovernment groups that seem to have found a small foothold recently.

3. The only possible punishment is to keep him from running for office again, which would imply that he has a chance of winning. This would disenfranchise some of the 75million who voted for him and probably further divide the country. But it also implies that Congress know better than the voters. As if they have to protect the country from making a poor voting choice in 4 years.

4. There is a concern about impeachment becoming a political weapon to be used against the opposition of the majority.

The upside would simply be, Trump can't run for office again.

Am I missing something?
Unread 02-10-2021, 03:14 PM   #86
My name is Oliver Queen.

paid
I seem to recall Democrats getting upset at Republicans wasting time appointments and not making action on other things. Spending all this time on political theatre for something they know they're not going to get the votes for seems like one of those wastes of time to me.

But I got no skin in the game.

Bass - Yamaha TRBX 505
Acoustic Guitars - Ovation Celebrity Deluxe CC48, J. Watson & Co. WD150TB
Electric Guitars - Fender Classic '72 Telecaster Thinline (2007), Maton Mastersound, Epiphone Les Paul Studio Chameleon (2x EMG 81TW)
Guitar Amp - Fender Mustang IV V2
Bass Amp - Behringer Ultrabass BXL1800A
Gear - Line 6 Helix, POD HD500X, Zoom G9.2tt, Zoom B9.1ut, Boss DD-20

Warning: This journal may contain diary

But He was pierced for our transgressions
He was crushed for our iniquities;
The punishment that brought us peace was upon Him,
And by His wounds we are healed.
Giga Hertz is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-10-2021, 05:46 PM   #87
by hope we steer

Quote:
Originally Posted by tlj009 View Post
So impeachment has started. I need someone to tell me the positive outcome that we want to achieve from this. I only see the negatives.

1. Many people believe there was cheating going on during the election. Conspiracy theories aside, there were some problems. Mainly, Democrats used the courts to change election laws in, I believe, 8 states within weeks of the election. Some even happened after early voting. Many called foul to this before and after the elction. It has largely been dismissed but not really addressed. This impeachment would seem to add to the conspiracies rather than calming the concerns.

2. Because of (1), I am afraid that Trump is going to be a sort of calling cry for recruitment of antigovernment groups that seem to have found a small foothold recently.

3. The only possible punishment is to keep him from running for office again, which would imply that he has a chance of winning. This would disenfranchise some of the 75million who voted for him and probably further divide the country. But it also implies that Congress know better than the voters. As if they have to protect the country from making a poor voting choice in 4 years.

4. There is a concern about impeachment becoming a political weapon to be used against the opposition of the majority.

The upside would simply be, Trump can't run for office again.

Am I missing something?
Why don't you watch the impeachment hearings to find out what you're missing?
Unread 02-10-2021, 08:11 PM   #88
grubber

Quote:
Originally Posted by tlj009 View Post
Am I missing something?
Put yourself in the shoes of the democrats doing this. It's a win-win. Either Trump gets impeached for an office that he no longer holds (???) or they can hold it over the heads of every senator that votes against forever.
Unread 02-11-2021, 01:39 PM   #89
by hope we steer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shift II View Post
or they can hold it over the heads of every senator that votes against forever.
I mean that doesn't seem as bad as having your followers ask FOR senator's heads, but what do I know? Apparently I don't watch enough Fox news or something.
Unread 02-12-2021, 09:35 AM   #90
assistant regional mgr.

so the trial is half over, with the rest set aside for the T defense.

did any evidence provided change any ones' opinions so far? or has it just solidified existing beliefs?