Go Back   Christian Guitar Forum > Deeper Issues > Current Events
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 01-15-2021, 04:09 PM   #61
and you were wondering??
Administrator

paid
When people at the riot think they are acting on the orders of the President, then I think it is reasonable to infer that the riot was incited by the rally. (For instance:
https://www.cnn.com/2021/01/15/polit...MlofJT_N2kcFfs)

When rally speakers are using explicitly revolutionary language, some even talking about "trial by combat" then it is reasonable to onfer that a rally incited the actions. When the President sends out dozens of emails about raising a "Trump army", all with the purpose of stopping the "steal" of the election, then it is reasonable to come to the conclusion that the rally incited people.

I understand you disagree. But, you also seem to deconstextualise a bit of what was going on both before the rally, and during the rally.

At what point is it shouting fire in a crowded theatre? Well, certainly when a mob forms and storms the capitol, looking to lynch not only Dem politicians, but also traitor GOP politicians (like Mike Pence). All while Trump is tweeting more incendiary rhetoric about Pence.

Yes... I am the official "Knight Who Will Write Something On Derrida".
Bask in the wonderful glory.

"outside of a dog a book is a man's best friend... inside a dog it is too dark to read."
-groucho marx

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demon_Hunter View Post
Taylor, you just got drive-by theologied.
Dr. Thrunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Unread 01-15-2021, 06:13 PM   #62

Considering not a single rally that he has ever had turned violent and that he specifically spelled out what he wanted them to do, "peacefully and patriotically make their voices heard" then I chock it up to divisive rhetoric going way to far. Not recognizing the signs and making very poor decisions.

Right up there with the lefts encouragment of BLM riots. Kamala Harris actually supports the Bail Fund so that if arrested, you can get out of jail free. Her support seems to have raised them millions. Is she then responsible for what they do when they get out?

I'm saying that all of them are divisive. Trump has been from day one. But when you call out one side for doing the same things that you do, it is hypocritical. If their hands were cleaner, I might agree with the impeachment. If it wasn't his last week, I might even agree. As it is, the only thing they can do is put on a better than you type of show and maybe keep him from running again. Which I seriously doubt would happen anyway. So basically they are just trying to hurt those still in the game. In other words, punish the opposition, which is exactly the kind of thing I would expect Trump to do.
tlj009 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-15-2021, 06:45 PM   #63
and you were wondering??
Administrator

paid
You keep referencing Harris encouraging BLM protests. Can you provide a link to what you are referring? I am not trying to be difficult, but I really have no clue.

"outside of a dog a book is a man's best friend... inside a dog it is too dark to read."
-groucho marx

Quote:
Unread 01-15-2021, 08:18 PM   #64

I don't have much time and will likely be gone for a while, so I'll probably just bow out unless plans change. Anyone, this is what google brought up. Seems one sided but it does include her tweet encouraging people to give to the bail fund company to bail out protesters.

https://www.lawenforcementtoday.com/...estic-abusers/
tlj009 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-15-2021, 09:03 PM   #65
and you were wondering??
Administrator

paid
Thanks for the reply, even though you are short on time these days. And, hope my posts didn't come off as combative, or anything!

Hope to see you around if things calm down and you aren't as busy.

-groucho marx

Quote:
Unread 01-15-2021, 11:12 PM   #66
assistant regional mgr.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tlj009 View Post
But when you call out one side for doing the same things that you do, it is hypocritical.
I do not recall, in living memory, any Democrats violently taking over the Capitol (even killing police) to stop the certification of votes. ever.

that, and that alone, is the issue at hand here.

"Every man is my superior in that I may learn from him." -Thomas Carlyle
Dwight Schrute is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-17-2021, 10:39 AM   #67
and you were wondering??
Administrator

paid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dwight Schrute View Post

I do not recall, in living memory, any Democrats violently taking over the Capitol (even killing police) to stop the certification of votes. ever.

that, and that alone, is the issue at hand here.
I don't want to keep beating a dead horse, but I was remembering something rather frightening this morning.

Does anyone remember a few months ago when a group of far right men comprising a militia had made detailed plans to kidnap the Gov of Michigan? Like, they had case out her house, mae plans to blow up a bridge to distract law enforcement. Just absolutely crazy stuff.

This came not too long after Trump had called for Michigan (and other states) to be "LIBERATE[D]". Of course, we can't make any air tight connections between those tweets and the plans. But, what was chilling was that immediately after the terrorists were caught, Trump didn't say anything about calming tensions, and in fact continued to fan the flames regarding Gov of Michigan.

So, when people talk about unity and calming things down, I recall all the moments like that. Deadly moments where the POTUS should have been leading, and instesd add fuel to DEADLY flames.

The whole post-election times has been like that. I feel so bad for those poor GA election officials, many whose families were threatened with death just because they were doing their jobs.

-groucho marx

Quote:
Unread 01-17-2021, 01:09 PM   #68
by hope we steer

James chapter three comes to mind when I think about what you are saying thrunk.

I realize that in context James 3 is more an admonition for teachers but should we not be able to apply this to our leaders who wield such great power?
Unread 01-17-2021, 03:21 PM   #69
assistant regional mgr.

I think the general principle could apply, certainly. also the passage about leaders being judged more harshly because of the greater influence and impact they carry - if a leader messes up, it doesn't just affect the leader, it affects all those under the authority of the leader. again, just principles - I doubt it was written with Trump or Caesar in mind.

there are a few memes circulating, about Pence. the one comes to mind, of his face, and the awkwardness of reporting to work the day after his boss tried to get him killed. imagine what he has been going through from all of this? the pressure his boss put him under to circumvent the constitution? the death threats and the gallows put up, the chants and threats coming from right-winger terrorists storming the capital? what a horrendous mess.

Unread 01-17-2021, 04:17 PM   #70
by hope we steer

https://www.newyorker.com/news/video...-capitol-siege

The New Yorker just posted a 12 minute video of a reporter who was in the crowd and it's bad. I encourage all to watch.
Unread 01-17-2021, 04:19 PM   #71
assistant regional mgr.

I watched it, pretty disturbing.

Unread 01-19-2021, 10:41 PM   #72
by hope we steer

My wife and I just got done watching the vigil for covid victims. Such a simple, beautiful ceremony. I didn't realize how much I needed something like that recently and this really struck a chord.
Unread 01-20-2021, 05:11 AM   #73
Admιnιstrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Almost Enough View Post

The New Yorker just posted a 12 minute video of a reporter who was in the crowd and it's bad. I encourage all to watch.
- Carl Martin Quattro (Purchased 2009-2010) - Cleanup 2020
- Godin Icon Type2 Convertible Natural 2011 (Purchased 2011) - Fixup 2021
- Koch Twintone II (Purchased 30/12/2011) - New tubes 2020 - FOR SALE
- Charango El Chasqui (Purchased 2012)
- Fender Paramount PM-3 Deluxe Triple 0 (Purchased 01/03/2017) - Fixup 2021
- Shure SE846 (Purchased 25/11/2019)
- Line 6 Helix (Purchased 21/01/2020)
Giuseppe is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-20-2021, 08:11 AM   #74
D'oh!

paid
A priest in my church (the OCA, albeit a different diocese) was suspended for attending the assault on the Capitol.

It happened on a major feast day. He should have been serving Theophany, instead he took part in a rebellion.

Good riddance.
Homer Simpson is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-20-2021, 08:30 AM   #75
Spinning Chinchilla
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Almost Enough View Post

I just watched this last night and... wow. That was shocking in so many ways.
Mara is offline   Reply With Quote