Go Back   Christian Guitar Forum > Deeper Issues > Current Events
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Mark Forums Read

Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 01-13-2021, 07:57 PM   #46
grubber
 
Shift II's Avatar
 

Joined: Dec 2014
Location: down east
Posts: 729
Quote:
Originally Posted by tlj009 View Post
I heard that on the radio. What is the point? He is going to gone in a week.
The point is that he'll be disqualified from running again in 2024.

__________________
pronouns are xim/xir
Shift II is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Unread 01-13-2021, 08:20 PM   #47
by hope we steer
 
Almost Enough's Avatar
 

Joined: Dec 2003
Location: Far Northern California
Posts: 2,696
Quote:
Originally Posted by tlj009 View Post
They also said that Trump and thousands of his supporters are now banned from all social media? Some company called Parler is being driven out of business? What is going on here? I've really got to catch up on the news.
You were debating what is happening without even having watched the news? ___?
__________________
Probably not.
Almost Enough is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-13-2021, 08:56 PM   #48
Registered User
 

Joined: Jun 2006
Posts: 3,539
Its hard to keep up with it working 16 hour shifts and keeping up with other responsibilities. I had assumed that it was the usual games twitter was playing when I first saw it and then, i have been rather busy for a few days.

I missed out and the permanent ban, ban of followers, (I still need to look up Qanon), and Big Tech putting Parler out of business.
tlj009 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-14-2021, 10:40 AM   #49
by hope we steer
 
Almost Enough's Avatar
 

Joined: Dec 2003
Location: Far Northern California
Posts: 2,696
Quote:
Originally Posted by tlj009 View Post
Its hard to keep up with it working 16 hour shifts and keeping up with other responsibilities. I had assumed that it was the usual games twitter was playing when I first saw it and then, i have been rather busy for a few days.

I missed out and the permanent ban, ban of followers, (I still need to look up Qanon), and Big Tech putting Parler out of business.
No worries. It's just the sitting President inciting violence against our other branches of government and then not being held accountable to the extent that he should be. NBD. It's probably ANTIFA's fault anyways.
__________________
Probably not.
Almost Enough is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-14-2021, 11:40 AM   #50
Registered User
 

Joined: Jun 2006
Posts: 3,539
Quote:
No worries. It's just the sitting President inciting violence against our other branches of government and then not being held accountable to the extent that he should be. NBD. It's probably ANTIFA's fault anyways.
Thought we already covered that several days ago. I thought we were moving on to other developments.

Be as sarcastic as you want but when you do it leaves the impression that you have nothing productive to add to the discussion so you attack. And for the record, this circus is NBD when compared to providing for my family.
tlj009 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-14-2021, 02:04 PM   #51
Registered User
 

Joined: Jun 2006
Posts: 3,539
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shift II View Post
The point is that he'll be disqualified from running again in 2024.
Kind of concerning. Seems like a dangerous precedent.

One article that I read talks about how it further divides the nation. With businesses attacking other businesses and individuals who they disagree with politically, I dont see the nation healing any time soon. Healing the nation doesn't seem to be on anyones agenda.
tlj009 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-14-2021, 11:55 PM   #52
assistant regional mgr.
 
Dwight Schrute's Avatar
 

Joined: Apr 2003
Location: Scranton, PA
Posts: 6,412
when a segment of the population is fine with killing others while trying to overthrow their own government, what healing can take place? seems like the first step is to root out those responsible for sedition before they up the ante and raise the bar to higher levels of violence? how on earth do we move right to healing without first addressing the crime of sedition and bringing the criminals to justice?
__________________


"Every man is my superior in that I may learn from him." -Thomas Carlyle
Dwight Schrute is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-15-2021, 10:11 AM   #53
Registered User
 

Joined: Jun 2006
Posts: 3,539
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dwight Schrute View Post
when a segment of the population is fine with killing others while trying to overthrow their own government, what healing can take place? seems like the first step is to root out those responsible for sedition before they up the ante and raise the bar to higher levels of violence? how on earth do we move right to healing without first addressing the crime of sedition and bringing the criminals to justice?
I agree. Which is why people are being arrested. The violence is being condemned by everyone.

But the same is true for all the political violence, Maxine Waters telling people if they seem a cabinet member, get in their face, let them know that they aren't welcome. Kamala Harris encouraging the BLM riots, etc. I seem to remember someone holding Trumps bloody head. Democrats have used language just as bad as Trump has.

The BLM literally took over portions of this country. Riots, looting, and burning has been going on for months and yes, people have died. The violence must stop. It must be condemned. But I 100% support peaceful protests and marches. I think that they are necessary for this country.

Have you read the transcript of Trump's speech? I don't agree with all of it. Especially calling people stupid and dumb constantly but I don't see the call to violence. Please point it out to me.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.usn...%3fcontext=amp

I think that things need to de-escalate. But what is happening looks a lot like political rivals being punished. Shutting down the opposition, berating them, instead of talking to them makes the divisions larger. Violence can't be tolerated but we must talk to the opposition and address their concerns. They must feel that they have a voice even if ultimately you disagree with them.
tlj009 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-15-2021, 12:11 PM   #54
Spinning Chinchilla
Administrator
 
Mara's Avatar
 

Joined: Sep 2003
Location: Corn
Posts: 9,432
Quote:
Originally Posted by tlj009 View Post

I think that things need to de-escalate. But what is happening looks a lot like political rivals being punished. Shutting down the opposition, berating them, instead of talking to them makes the divisions larger. Violence can't be tolerated but we must talk to the opposition and address their concerns. They must feel that they have a voice even if ultimately you disagree with them.
I'm curious what you'd imagine that kind of de-escalation to look like practically.
Mara is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-15-2021, 12:43 PM   #55
Registered User
 

Joined: Jun 2006
Posts: 3,539
A call for civil converse. A softening of the political rhetoric. An acknowledgement that the nation is split down the middle.

Take Trump's speech. A simple fact check should be enough of a response.

If Trump says, "They illegally changed voting laws in Georgia bypassing the legislature."

The response shouldn't be "there is no proof. You're lying and your supporters are idiots". What it should be is "no, it was approved through the legislature on...." or the reason that it didn't have to go through the legislature. Point is, we need be a little more careful about the way we speak, as I think Trump recently found out.

Sure, it may be tiring to answer the questions but the alternative makes the media and our politicians look like a bunch of children on the playground.

A couple of months back some Democratic leaning celebrities said the same thing. Called for people to be a little more careful with the name calling. If non-Christians can see the problem, surely the Christian community can agree that it is getting out of hand.
tlj009 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-15-2021, 01:27 PM   #56
and you were wondering??
Administrator
 
Dr. Thrunk's Avatar
 

Joined: Aug 2004
Location: In the bedrock of Being.
Posts: 11,580
paid
People have been fact-checking the lies about the election for months. State officials in GA, for instance, have been doing so. And they are GOP. This didnt help. In fact, it made things worse, and Trump and his people doubled down in spite of evidence provided regarding the election. GOP GA election officials got death threats.

Trump people have lost in court every single attempt to overturn elections, except for one that was of no consequence (it dealt with votes coming in to PA late; these votes had *already* been set aside by election officials).

In spite of the info, Trump calls election officials and begs, pleads, and threatens for Trump votes to be found. The tape verifying this was leaked. In spite of all of the evidence and lies being debunked, Trump admin doubles down, and GOP voters overwhelmingly believe the lies. And, this goes on up and until and beyond the Capitol insurrection. An insurrection being spurred on by a giant pile of lies about an election.

(Also, do recall that Trump refused to say there would be a peaceful transfer of power if he lost)
__________________
Hello! Come visit my blog! http://taylormweaver.wordpress.com/

Yes... I am the official "Knight Who Will Write Something On Derrida".
Bask in the wonderful glory.

"outside of a dog a book is a man's best friend... inside a dog it is too dark to read."
-groucho marx

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demon_Hunter View Post
Taylor, you just got drive-by theologied.
Dr. Thrunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-15-2021, 02:13 PM   #57
by hope we steer
 
Almost Enough's Avatar
 

Joined: Dec 2003
Location: Far Northern California
Posts: 2,696
Quote:
Originally Posted by tlj009 View Post
Have you read the transcript of Trump's speech? I don't agree with all of it. Especially calling people stupid and dumb constantly but I don't see the call to violence. Please point it out to me.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.usn...%3fcontext=amp
https://theconversation.com/how-dona...capitol-153277

Here you go.
__________________
Probably not.
Almost Enough is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-15-2021, 02:17 PM   #58
by hope we steer
 
Almost Enough's Avatar
 

Joined: Dec 2003
Location: Far Northern California
Posts: 2,696
https://www.politico.com/news/2021/0...s-legal-459519

Looks like there may be some potential investigations into complicit representatives. Pretty damning stuff.
__________________
Probably not.
Almost Enough is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-15-2021, 02:54 PM   #59
Registered User
 

Joined: Jun 2006
Posts: 3,539
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Thrunk View Post
People have been fact-checking the lies about the election for months. State officials in GA, for instance, have been doing so. And they are GOP. This didnt help. In fact, it made things worse, and Trump and his people doubled down in spite of evidence provided regarding the election. GOP GA election officials got death threats.

Trump people have lost in court every single attempt to overturn elections, except for one that was of no consequence (it dealt with votes coming in to PA late; these votes had *already* been set aside by election officials).

In spite of the info, Trump calls election officials and begs, pleads, and threatens for Trump votes to be found. The tape verifying this was leaked. In spite of all of the evidence and lies being debunked, Trump admin doubles down, and GOP voters overwhelmingly believe the lies. And, this goes on up and until and beyond the Capitol insurrection. An insurrection being spurred on by a giant pile of lies about an election.

(Also, do recall that Trump refused to say there would be a peaceful transfer of power if he lost)
There a few problems though. When you call people idiots or stupid, the quit listening. They stop reading. How do you feel when Trump does it? Do you even care what is said afterwards?

Then you have the fact that every single news agency seems to have an agenda. Who can you believe?

The thing is that we vote in November and Biden is in office next week. There might be grumbling after they swear him in but it is essentially over. That really is as far as the patience and explanations have to go. But instead, it is going to go on for much longer.

It is fine to contest elections. Let it play out and get a ruling. Biden is going to be sworn in. The courts will have ruled. Life will go on and it will basically be over.
tlj009 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-15-2021, 03:35 PM   #60
Registered User
 

Joined: Jun 2006
Posts: 3,539
Quote:
Originally Posted by Almost Enough View Post
Yeah, I'm not going to read it all right now. Feel free to break it down for me.

From a scan, I think that it is saying the same thing that I am. It is divisive rhetoric harming this nation. They say it about Trump. I'm saying it is both sides.

Still, 4 years of divisive rhetoric does not equate to inciting violence at a rally. If it did, I believe every politician up there are guilty.
tlj009 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 01:24 PM.


Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0 PL2