Go Back   Christian Guitar Forum > Deeper Issues > Theology
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 09-18-2019, 02:00 AM   #1
Admιnιstrator

Matthew 14

Hi guys,

This is probably the least quality thread on Theology.

I have had the story of Matthew 14 where Jesus walks on water for a few days. I've read it a few times.

On one side, Jesus has just suffered a great loss. John was killed and he wanted some time alone, but decided to help the people instead.

From the disciples view, they had just seen an amazing miracle in the feeding of the 5000+

Now they are stuck fighting against the waves.

Jesus comes walking towards them.

Walking on the water. In the storm.

Anyway. I have been thinking a lot about this chapter over the past few days. Thought it from every angle I know. I was wondering if there is some insight/learning from the theology point of view I am missing.

I don't have a specific question or goal. Just wanted to be open to learn what there is to learn here.

Giuseppe is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Unread 09-18-2019, 07:00 AM   #2
Sojourner
Administrator

When you look at the three passages that recount this event (Matthew 14:24-33; Mark 6:47-52; John 6:16-21) you see there are four miracles that take place. Jesus walks on water, he allows Peter to walk on water (albeit briefly), he calms the storm, and he causes the boat to arrive on land immediately. They are nestled in between the feeding of the multitude and Jesus teaching that he is the Bread of Life.

All of these demonstrate that Jesus is Lord over Creation. He can break the laws of nature because he wrote them. Some have suggested that his walking on water parallels the Spirit of God hovering over the waters of an unformed Creation in Genesis 1. When the disciples in the boat see him exercise his lordship over nature, they worship him in amazement. When you take all three accounts into consideration you realize that they didn't truly understand what he had done with the feeding of the multitude. They proved that the next day when they told him that the Bread of Life thing was too much for people to understand.
Leboman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-22-2019, 08:11 AM   #3
Admιnιstrator

Oh, very interesting. Didn't know some of those...
Giuseppe is offline   Reply With Quote

« The Essentials | - »