Go Back   Christian Guitar Forum > Musicians > Recording & Live Sound
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 06-13-2019, 08:45 PM   #1
What do now?

Studio Updates

Figured I'd share any studio updates in this thread, since there will be a lot of them. Any new equipment, routing, toys, etc.

Will make a post tomorrow.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillSPrestonEsq View Post
...wives are expensive upkeep...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dwight Schrute View Post
Ben Toast, I have been sanctioned by the official CGRARC (Christian Guitar Resources Awesome-ness Recognition Committee) to declare that henceforth and hitherto, you are awesome.
Toast is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Unread 06-13-2019, 08:46 PM   #2
My name is Oliver Queen.

paid
I look forward to this and will make ideas for myself that will never come to pass.

Bass - Yamaha TRBX 505
Acoustic Guitars - Ovation Celebrity Deluxe CC48, J. Watson & Co. WD150TB
Electric Guitars - Fender Classic '72 Telecaster Thinline (2007), Maton Mastersound, Epiphone Les Paul Studio Chameleon
Guitar Amp - Fender Mustang IV V2
Bass Amp - Behringer Ultrabass BXL1800A
Gear - Line 6 Helix, POD HD500X, Zoom G9.2tt, Zoom B9.1ut, Boss DD-20

Warning: This journal may contain diary

But He was pierced for our transgressions
He was crushed for our iniquities;
The punishment that brought us peace was upon Him,
And by His wounds we are healed.
Giga Hertz is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-13-2019, 09:17 PM   #3
طعام الكلب

Send a message via MSN to dogfood
Foooood !
Unread 07-21-2019, 09:58 PM   #4
What do now?

My UPS decided to die on me.

Also I'm getting pretty close to upgrading my interface.

Quote:
Quote:
Ben Toast, I have been sanctioned by the official CGRARC (Christian Guitar Resources Awesome-ness Recognition Committee) to declare that henceforth and hitherto, you are awesome.
Unread 12-20-2019, 12:15 PM   #5
What do now?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toast View Post

Also I'm getting pretty close to upgrading my interface.
HAHAHAHAHAHA

But 2019 was a pretty cool year. Recorded 49 songs for 10 artists, already have 5 projects lined up for 2020. It would be nice to develop a more steady stream of clients. More clients = more $$$ = more gear to record more clients. Still have yet to cut a single dime out to myself except for building / operational expenses.

Quote:
Quote:
Unread 12-20-2019, 03:02 PM   #6
My name is Oliver Queen.

paid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toast View Post
HAHAHAHAHAHA

But 2019 was a pretty cool year. Recorded 49 songs for 10 artists, already have 5 projects lined up for 2020. It would be nice to develop a more steady stream of clients. More clients = more $$$ = more gear to record more clients. Still have yet to cut a single dime out to myself except for building / operational expenses.
Yeah, most businesses take a few years before the owner actually gets anything from it.

Bass - Yamaha TRBX 505
Acoustic Guitars - Ovation Celebrity Deluxe CC48, J. Watson & Co. WD150TB
Electric Guitars - Fender Classic '72 Telecaster Thinline (2007), Maton Mastersound, Epiphone Les Paul Studio Chameleon
Guitar Amp - Fender Mustang IV V2
Bass Amp - Behringer Ultrabass BXL1800A
Gear - Line 6 Helix, POD HD500X, Zoom G9.2tt, Zoom B9.1ut, Boss DD-20

Warning: This journal may contain diary

But He was pierced for our transgressions
He was crushed for our iniquities;
The punishment that brought us peace was upon Him,
And by His wounds we are healed.
Giga Hertz is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-11-2020, 09:43 AM   #7
What do now?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giga Hertz View Post
Yeah, most businesses take a few years before the owner actually gets anything from it.
I'm not planning to cut myself money from this anytime in the next few years either. Just looking to get more money into the studio for more updates. Got some projects I'm hoping to undertake this year to make things a little smoother for recording.

Quote:
Quote:
Unread 02-01-2020, 10:45 AM   #8
What do now?

Okay so I'm doing it. Probably after February. Building bass traps and window traps for the mix room. After that, 7ft x 5ft rolling gobo walls for the live room that can fit together as an iso booth. Will update on these projects.

---

Also I've discovered that Reaper has this cool thing that lets you set up remote servers for plugin processing. Afaik, as many remote severs as you want. So I'll be testing that out this week and checking back in with updates on how it goes.

Quote:
Quote:
Unread 02-04-2020, 10:01 AM   #9
What do now?

Doing the remote server thing today. I'll let you all know how it goes.

Also cool thing, I'm hosting live stream shows once a month now as well. First one coming up on the 25th of this month. They'll all just be on FB live to start, free to watch, maybe invite a small local audience, invite only, suggested donation at the door to help cover operation cost type of thing. But mostly just excited to try this thing out and see how it goes.

Quote:
Quote:
Unread 02-22-2020, 08:50 AM   #10
What do now?

LIVE STREAM UPDATE
Almost ready for the first live stream. Couple last minute things to take care of but I'm definitely excited. I had picked up an LED par and used some cardboard to fashion a can around it to make a white "spot" for the artist. The problem was I had to put it super far back in the room to diffuse properly, and by that point it wasn't working well. So I returned it and instead picked up a pair of soft boxes. They came with massively huge bulbs so I've traded those bulbs out for some softer ones. I might pick up more of these boxes, they're super cheap and super easy to set up. But they are a bit bulky and imposing, so I'm not 100% sure. Wouldn't mind tossing one up in my mix room since the overhead light doesn't work.

I'll post a photo on Monday night (if I remember to) of the stage area and how it should look on camera.

VOCAL BOOTH + ACOUSTICS + NEW CLIENT
I have a higher-profile-than-normal client coming in March to try me out by recording vocals for a country song. Listened to the instrument and.. it's amazing. So to give them the treatment they deserve (and just to get it over with, it's been years overdue for me) I'm building a vocal booth. Trying to source the materials cheap is the big challenge here, since I also dropped $600 on Warm Audio WA-87 in addition to the hundreds I've been investing in stuff for the live streams. So far, I've found a source to get 1/2" thick 4x8 sheets of plywood for $7 a piece (I'll have to check them in person to make sure they're actually good) and supposedly there's a local supplier where I can get Owens Corning 703 insulation for right around $1 per sq ft. Which is good, because one of the walls of the booth is going to need a window (I am NOT building a booth without a window, and my current philosophy is don't spend a dime unless it's something that I'm going to be pleased with long term), so a custom cut piece of 3/8" or 1/2" thick Plexiglas isn't going to be cheap by any means. I could theoretically just do three sheets of 1/8" thick and mash them all up against each other. This may reduce visibility but help with sound proofing for considerably cheaper.

I'm working up a SketchUp model for the booth which will be posted when it's finished. You may remember that I built a vocal booth years ago when I was working for a media startup.

That one was 7ft tall, 4ft x 4ft in dimensions. See the pictures in that old blog post.

Here's what I didn't like about the old one:

The corners were just mashed together instead of overlapped, allowing noise pollution. It sat on these disc furniture pads and was difficult to move around. The pads also created gaps at the bottom that allowed noise pollution. Also the window was a bit small and less than ideal.

So here's how the new one will be:

- 7.5ft tall inside
- 5ft x 4.5ft inside
- Overlapped corners for better isolation
- Door foam underneath the wall edges to seal against the floor
- Same furniture pads to start but will have custom steel brackets made with large, heavy duty casters so the walls will roll easily but still float just half an inch off the floor.
- a larger window; thinking 30" x 24".
--(These brackets will be expensive to make so they're going to come later. These will also make it easier to move the walls around to use as massive gobos around a room to change a room's acoustics as needed. But they will also make it more difficult to place these flat up against walls so that will be another thing to consider.)

I've also found someone here locally that is selling me fourteen 24" x 60" x 2" cubicle partitions for $50. These will be immensely useful for a variety of different applications, and for the price, I really can't beat them.

REMOTE SERVER
No updates at this time. It's not really high on my priority list so I haven't messed with it since last time.

Quote:
Quote:

« Paid Plugins | - »