Go Back   Christian Guitar Forum > CGR Stuff > Site Issues & Questions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Mark Forums Read

Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 10-22-2018, 07:58 AM   #1
Sojourner
Administrator
 
Leboman's Avatar
 

Joined: Aug 2003
Location: Just Passing Through
Posts: 59,102
Who Here Understands How vBulletin Works?

This is a serious question and could potentially affect the future of CGR.

We are currently running vBulletin 3.8 which is never going to be updated again. There are newer versions which allow Cloud hosting and up-to-date Mobile capability.

I want to know who (if anyone) here can assess the potential risks of updating CGR. What will we definitely lose, what might we lose?


Last edited by DaGeek; 10-22-2018 at 09:21 AM. Reason: Bad typo, bro...
Leboman is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Unread 10-24-2018, 01:29 PM   #2
What do now?
 
Toast's Avatar
 

Joined: Feb 2011
Location: Philadelphia
Posts: 5,730
I've used VBulleting backend before (for a forum upgrade, different site) but it was years ago. In theory, as long as the forum database is backed up (posts, user accounts data, etc.), updating to a new version should be relatively simple and involve minimal risk. I'm sure Frankdigits would be the smartest when it comes to this stuff. I'd be willing to help out with some of this as well. AFAIK, vBulletin is very upgrade-friendly as well. Stepping up to the newest version shouldn't pose any significant issues.
__________________
Journal // I have a business! // What's a genre anyway?

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillSPrestonEsq View Post
...wives are expensive upkeep...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dwight Schrute View Post
Ben Toast, I have been sanctioned by the official CGRARC (Christian Guitar Resources Awesome-ness Recognition Committee) to declare that henceforth and hitherto, you are awesome.
Toast is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-24-2018, 01:40 PM   #3
Sojourner
Administrator
 
Leboman's Avatar
 

Joined: Aug 2003
Location: Just Passing Through
Posts: 59,102
Quote:
Originally Posted by I Am Groot View Post
I've used VBulleting backend before (for a forum upgrade, different site) but it was years ago. In theory, as long as the forum database is backed up (posts, user accounts data, etc.), updating to a new version should be relatively simple and involve minimal risk. I'm sure Frankdigits would be the smartest when it comes to this stuff. I'd be willing to help out with some of this as well. AFAIK, vBulletin is very upgrade-friendly as well. Stepping up to the newest version shouldn't pose any significant issues.
Thanks for the input.
Leboman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-24-2018, 03:20 PM   #4
My name is Oliver Queen.
 
Giga Hertz's Avatar
 

Joined: Oct 2007
Location: 127.0.0.1
Posts: 5,545
paid
My main concern would be the database being upgraded; it should be fine, but it is quite ancient. But if we're going as far as upgrading to a new VB license, I imagine they'd be able to give advice about the upgrade jump from this version to the next.
__________________
~ Josh

Bass - Yamaha TRBX 505
Acoustic Guitars - Ovation Celebrity Deluxe CC48, J. Watson & Co. WD150TB
Electric Guitars - Fender Classic '72 Telecaster Thinline (2007), Maton Mastersound, Epiphone Les Paul Studio Chameleon
Guitar Amp - Fender Mustang IV V2
Bass Amp - Behringer Ultrabass BXL1800A
Gear - Line 6 Helix, POD HD500X, Zoom G9.2tt, Zoom B9.1ut, Boss DD-20

Warning: This journal may contain diary

But He was pierced for our transgressions
He was crushed for our iniquities;
The punishment that brought us peace was upon Him,
And by His wounds we are healed.
Giga Hertz is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-24-2018, 03:35 PM   #5
Sojourner
Administrator
 
Leboman's Avatar
 

Joined: Aug 2003
Location: Just Passing Through
Posts: 59,102
Quote:
Originally Posted by Giga Hertz View Post
My main concern would be the database being upgraded; it should be fine, but it is quite ancient. But if we're going as far as upgrading to a new VB license, I imagine they'd be able to give advice about the upgrade jump from this version to the next.
Some of the concerns we've had as Admins is whether we'll lose things if we upgrade. There are a LOT of things (like Journals) that we'd really like to keep around. Newer versions vBulletin have the capability to be Cloud based. They also have functioning mobile abilities.
Leboman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-24-2018, 03:43 PM   #6
What do now?
 
Toast's Avatar
 

Joined: Feb 2011
Location: Philadelphia
Posts: 5,730
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leboman View Post
Some of the concerns we've had as Admins is whether we'll lose things if we upgrade. There are a LOT of things (like Journals) that we'd really like to keep around. Newer versions vBulletin have the capability to be Cloud based. They also have functioning mobile abilities.
That shouldn't be an issue. Journals is a subforum under the Community main forum. And I'm 99.99% sure you can still customize the visibility for different groups (guests, users, mods, admins, overlords, etc.)

Scheduling a time to do it would be the first step. Make an announcement that "on this date from this time to this time CGR will be down for maintenance while we upgrade the forum software". Then, when it goes down, backup the database, backup the old software, install the new software, plug in the database, make any tweaks necessary, and you *should* be okay. Also vB is pretty good about answering questions and helping out if you have any issues, from what I'm told.
__________________
Journal // I have a business! // What's a genre anyway?

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillSPrestonEsq View Post
...wives are expensive upkeep...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dwight Schrute View Post
Ben Toast, I have been sanctioned by the official CGRARC (Christian Guitar Resources Awesome-ness Recognition Committee) to declare that henceforth and hitherto, you are awesome.
Toast is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-24-2018, 04:18 PM   #7
Sojourner
Administrator
 
Leboman's Avatar
 

Joined: Aug 2003
Location: Just Passing Through
Posts: 59,102
Quote:
Originally Posted by I Am Groot View Post
That shouldn't be an issue. Journals is a subforum under the Community main forum. And I'm 99.99% sure you can still customize the visibility for different groups (guests, users, mods, admins, overlords, etc.)

Scheduling a time to do it would be the first step. Make an announcement that "on this date from this time to this time CGR will be down for maintenance while we upgrade the forum software". Then, when it goes down, backup the database, backup the old software, install the new software, plug in the database, make any tweaks necessary, and you *should* be okay. Also vB is pretty good about answering questions and helping out if you have any issues, from what I'm told.
Unfortunately, we're not at the point where we're making an announcement. I am just trying to do some legwork before we finally take the next step.
Leboman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-24-2018, 07:35 PM   #8
What do now?
 
Toast's Avatar
 

Joined: Feb 2011
Location: Philadelphia
Posts: 5,730
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leboman View Post
Unfortunately, we're not at the point where we're making an announcement. I am just trying to do some legwork before we finally take the next step.
Oh sorry I didn't mean like right now lol.
__________________
Journal // I have a business! // What's a genre anyway?

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillSPrestonEsq View Post
...wives are expensive upkeep...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dwight Schrute View Post
Ben Toast, I have been sanctioned by the official CGRARC (Christian Guitar Resources Awesome-ness Recognition Committee) to declare that henceforth and hitherto, you are awesome.
Toast is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-25-2018, 05:43 AM   #9
Sojourner
Administrator
 
Leboman's Avatar
 

Joined: Aug 2003
Location: Just Passing Through
Posts: 59,102
Quote:
Originally Posted by I Am Groot View Post
Oh sorry I didn't mean like right now lol.



We've been waiting for a while now so I'm just doing some research.
Leboman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-07-2018, 11:52 AM   #10
Deets Go Here
 
bravesfan007's Avatar
 

Joined: Jul 2002
Location: Right Behind You
Posts: 14,902
So who updated the software?
__________________
If you are offended by most posts, please do not feel alone. I am an equal opportunity offender. I will offend everyone.

Follow my ramblings.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giga Hertz View Post
I would throw any bro under the bus for a Cheeto. Or a ho for that matter.

Not like a ho ho, mind you. Like a godly ho.
bravesfan007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
None

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 01:16 PM.


Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0 PL2